Part 15

Whoo, thirty parts to this one, eh? Let's split it five, five, five, five, five and five I suppose. Also: I know a lot of people don't read these, but I like writing them, and as long as some people read these, I'll continue to write them because I think they're fun.

////

"You're adorable, you know that?"

////

Bucky attempted to lick icing off of his nose. Steve smiled in amusement.

"You're adorable, you know that?"

Bucky shot him a withering gaze. "I am not," he dismissed, trying in vain to reach the icing with his tongue. Steve shook his head as he watched him and handed him a paper towel. Reluctantly, Bucky wiped his nose off and made a face as he tossed the tissue in the garbage.

"Sure you aren't."

"I killed people," he said flatly as he leaned back. Steve studied his face and leaned in, then noticed another smaller dollop in his hair. He gestured to it as Bucky scowled.

"Well, you seem to have a little... something there... right there." Steve nodded his head towards it and Bucky huffed impatiently as he scrubbed it out.

"Either way -- " He stuck his tongue between his teeth as he tried to focus his eyes on where the icing was. "I -- am not -- adorable."

Steve kissed his forehead and began cleaning up the cupcake mess. They'd been decorating some vanilla cupcakes they'd baked; they had just wanted a calm evening for once. Bucky voted for baking cupcakes.

"World leaders, Steve," Bucky insisted as he finished cleaning himself up. Steve tried not to look amused.

"I'm sorry, I just -- I can't take you seriously when you're covered in icing."

"I'm scary," he said half-heartedly. Steve smiled at him and nodded as he brushed his hands off.

"You don't have to be, Buck."

Bucky thought on this and was quiet as he and Steve cleaned up.

Accepting his fate, Bucky changed into his pajamas and tied his hair into a loose bun, deciding that just for the night he could relax himself and be more than a killing machine.

He liked this new way so much that it was common to see him with different hairstyles, a softer smile on his face and different types of hoodies and sweatshirts. He was so much more comfortable, and Steve was always glad to see Bucky happy.

////

"Star-gazing was such a great idea."

////

Bucky glanced over at Steve. "Star-gazing was such a great idea." Steve didn't answer so Bucky sighed and shifted positions. "Thank you, Buck, I'm glad you suggested this," he answered himself sarcastically. "No problem, me."

He sighed again and looked at him pointedly. Steve was still fast asleep, pressed against the brunet. Bucky had indeed suggested star-gazing; it was a clear night and he'd wanted to spend some time with his husband.

His husband, of course, fell asleep instead, after only an hour outside.

Bucky didn't want to wake him, but he became bored all by himself when left alone for too long. But he kept still, spoke quietly, and stared at the stars.

Steve curled in closer and made a soft noise, like a whimper, as his hand closed into a fist. Bucky sat still and watched, frowning a little. A shiver ran along Steve's body and he shifted uncomfortably again.