Part 19

Next five! It's been a long while.

////

"You've been hiding something from me, haven't you?"

////

"I'll see you later," Steve hissed as he hurriedly pushed Bucky down the street. Bucky smiled and saluted as he took off running, before Steve's father rounded the corner.

"Ah, there you are," Joseph spoke, and raised his eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"

"Me and a girl were walkin'," he lied, the lie in question sliding easier and easier off his tongue. It'd been several months, now -- several months since he and his boyfriend had decided to hide their relationship from everyone -- especially Joseph.

"A girl, eh? Molly Dawkins? She's a sweetheart," he said with a wink. Steve forced a smile as his dad clapped him on the shoulder and they started down the street.

Bucky watched quietly from his perch on the fire escape above his apartment. It was the only place where he and Steve could meet that wasn't technically public.

It was the 30's, and gay relationships were illegal -- and the seventeen and eighteen year old boys weren't willing to risk anything. Not yet.

Specifically, the wrath of Steve's father, Joseph -- a firm believer that homosexuality was a sin. He once had flat-out declared that if he knew anyone gay, he would personally escort them down to the station to be arrested -- or, worse, if it came to that.

Steve sat on the couch and pulled out his worn sketchbook, filled with architectural designs, portraits, plants and whatever else he saw day to day. He lingered a second over the portrait of Bucky, his pencil hovering over the page.

"What're you drawing now?" Joseph took his book and flipped through it, smiling a little. His grin faded as he came across a portrait of Steve's mother, Sarah -- now long deceased. He handed the book back. "You should think about selling these, make a little money."

"I don't know." He concentrated on his blank page and started to sketch, his mind wandering. Joseph started on dinner, and the night was quiet after that.

"You sure we can keep this up, Steve?" They sat on the fire escape days later. It was sunset, but still warm out. They sat together with their legs dangling towards the ground. Bucky had his hand intertwined with Steve's, resting on the warm metal.

"I don't know," Steve sighed, looking over at him. "I... I don't wanna lose you, Buck."

"I know," he said softly, then turned his face and kissed him gently. Steve kissed back deeper, holding his cheek, emotion swelling through him. And Bucky let him.

"Steve -- Steve," he finally murmured, pulling away. Steve looked down and swallowed, then he heard Bucky sigh and stand up. "C'mon, doll," he said softly. "I gotta go."

Steve stood too, holding his hands gently. He pressed their foreheads together and Bucky closed his eyes, his throat tightening.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Steve promised, before climbing over the side and jumping back through the window into his apartment. Bucky watched him go before stepping inside his own apartment.

Joseph was there. "You've been hiding something from me, haven't you?"

Steve froze, ice shooting through his veins. Joseph walked over, his steps precise. Steve stared at him.

"Fetch him for me," his father said softly, and Steve didn't move. "Now!" He slammed his fist against the wall, and Steve inched away. Joseph opened the window and glanced across the way to Bucky's apartment.