6 - Instant Attraction

"Holy God."

Steve quickly ducked his head, practically burying it in his drink. The redheaded waitress eyed him and focused on wiping down the glasses. Sam raised an eyebrow and turned to see, then grinned wickedly as he saw what Steve had. 

A handsome brunet had just entered, wearing a dark leather jacket, tight-fitting white shirt and dark jeans. Sam sighed and rolled his eyes fondly over to Steve, who had refused to look up.

Tall, brunet and brooding -- just Steve's type.

"Uh oh," Sam hummed, nudging him. Steve slouched further into his seat, frowning and puffing out his cheeks.

"Christ, Sam. He's so cute," he hissed, cheeks red as he stole glances at the mysterious stranger.

"Go talk to him!" Sam urged, eyes bright at the concept of Steve finally meeting someone he really liked. (The dates Sharon kept setting him up on weren't going amazingly.)

"No," he whisper-shouted. "No, no, I am not making a fool of myself again. Remember New Jersey?"

"Yeah, that was a mistake to begin with." Sam swirled his beer thoughtfully and eyed the brooding stranger as he started towards the bar, catching his eye.

Sam glanced at Steve, who sat hissing curses into the bar as he noticed the man move out of the corner of his eye. "Look, man, if you don't go to him now you never will," he said as he watched the handsome stranger move closer. 

"Okay -- okay," Steve mumbled, taking a chug of his drink before standing uncertainly. He took two steps and froze on the spot as he made eye contact with the handsome man. Sam could tell that right now Steve was bright red. With a sigh and a roll of his eyes, Sam joined him and grabbed his hand, dragging him closer to the stranger.

"Hey, how you doin'? This is Steve, he thinks you're cute," he said and shoved Steve closer. The brunet studied them both with a small smile and a tilt of his head. Steve stared at him, mouth agape and eyes huge. "Look, man, you gotta work with me here," he whispered to Steve before flashing the stranger another smile.

Steve finally thrust his hand out for the stranger to take. "Rogers," he blurted. "Uh -- Steve Rogers, that's -- uh -- nice to meet you," he squeaked.

"Bucky Barnes," he replied, amused as he shook his hand. "I take it you don't get out much."

Steve laughed nervously, looked down at the floor, scratched the back of his neck and hesitantly looked up again. Sam drifted into the background, satisfied that Steve can't do any more damage than he's already done. 

"Eh, not often," he said with a nervous laugh. Bucky smiled and crossed his arms, then glanced towards where the drinks were.

"Can I get you something?"

"Uh -- just a beer, thanks."

With a grin and a wink, Bucky glided through the throng of people effortlessly, as if they weren't all crowding the bar and generally getting in the way. Steve focused on not freaking out and acting like a normal human for once. 

"You're doing great," Sam whispered as he slid over to Steve, and Steve smiled nervously at him. 

Bucky grabbed two beers and took a deep breath, sneaking a glance at Steve from across the room. God, he was a total cutie -- Bucky didn't want to blow his chance with him. 

"So?" Natalia dropped her cleaning rag in the bucket of cleaner and looked at Bucky from across the bar counter. "How's it going with blondie?"

"I'm so nervous," he said with a bashful smile. "He's so awkward. It's adorable."

"Gonna invite him over tonight? Let me know if I need to crash at Bruce's," she said with a sly grin. Bucky rolled his eyes away from her, blushing.

"I'll see how the night goes."

He headed back over to Steve, smiling back at him as he came closer. Nat grinned and continued wiping down the bar.

"Good luck, Barnes," she said as she glanced over at the happy pair.