Part 3

Nine to twelve now.

////

"I had a nightmare about you and wanted to make sure you were okay."

////

Bucky hated when Steve was injured, especially when there was nothing he could do to protect him. The best he could do was try to patch him up and hope for the best. The serum worked, of course, but not instantaneously.

So he was surprised when he found Steve knocking at his bedroom door late that night.

"Steve? What the hell, get back to bed," Bucky ordered, pointing. Steve shook his head, leaning against the wall.

"I had a nightmare about you and I wanted to make sure you were okay," he muttered, holding his stitched up side. Bucky sighed and folded his arms, watching him carefully.

"I'm fine, Steve. Now just -- " He cut himself off as he caught him as he swayed. "Come on," he said quietly, looping an arm around him.

"I had to check to make sure," Steve huffed. Bucky nodded, leading him back down the hall.

"Next time, just holler, okay?"

Steve didn't look at him, the images of his dream flashing through his mind. He sub-consciously held him tighter and Bucky sat him on his bed.

"Okay. It was just a dream, Steve," he assured, squeezing his hand.

"Wait," Steve said uncertainly, still worried. Bucky paused and crouched down in front of him, looking up at him.

"Promise. Get some sleep," he said softly. Steve slowly nodded and laid himself down, trying to get back to sleep. He was still holding Bucky's hand, but the brunet didn't pull away.

If he had to be there for him like this, he would. If he had to hold his hand to assure him he was still there, he would, because Bucky promised him he'd be there when he needed him. Even for the small things, if he had to.

So he leaned against the bed frame and closed his eyes, his head resting at an awkward angle.

"Buck?"

"Hmm." Bucky rolled his head a little and closed his eyes.

"Thank you."

He smiled a little to himself. "Any time, Stevie."

////

"All I wanted was the truth."

////

"I don't care," Bucky snapped, closing his eyes briefly. "All I wanted was the truth."

"I tried to tell you -- "

"You could've just told me that you jumped on a bomb. Fine. I woulda' shouted at you, but I woulda' gotten over it," Bucky continued, his voice dangerously low. "But lying about it? For months?"

He had heard about the false alarm when Steve joined the army. He was pissed at that. Now he was finding out about one of Steve's missions he hadn't heard about; the fact that he leapt onto a grenade last-second to protect those he was with - Wanda, Sam and Nat. He was livid at the fact that he lied about it.

He was livid at the fact that Steve had said it was an accident that had almost killed him. Bucky hadn't questioned him. Wanda, Nat and Sam had told him nothing, until Nat finally broke.

Bucky found out through Nat, and proceeded to bark at Steve for the next hour.

"Look, there was nothing else I could do but -- "