5 - Entitled Money

"How did..?"

Bucky shook his head. "I have no clue."

He'd been granted $600,000 out of the blue, it seemed. He slumped down into his seat, at a loss for words. Steve leaned over the table, eyebrows pinched together as he frowned and thought.

"How would you..?"

"Maybe I had accounts left open," he suggested, folding his arms. "Maybe someone wanted to be really nice to an ex-assassin. Did I kill a millionaire and now I'm the next in line? Is that how it works?"

"I don't think so." Steve studied the cheques and folded his arms. "Well, it's a mystery," he said simply and sat beside him. Bucky stared at him incredulously.

"You're not curious at all?" He snorted. "How are we together."

Steve shrugged, tilting his head. "Do you trust the money though? That's all I'm wondering about."

"It had to come from somewhere, but I'm not sure -- " He looked at him. "I can't exactly trust where it came from. What if someone heard I was an assassin and hired me and this is payment for it?"

Steve gave him a look. "Buck, no one would do that."

"But there must be a reason!"

He shrugged again. "Tony's better with money than me. He might know."

Bucky stood suddenly and nodded, determined. "I'll be right back."

////

Tony looked at him from under his welding goggles. His face was covered in grease and soot, but a grin was on his face as Bucky entered.

"Hey, Terminator," he said and rolled under the metal contraption he was working on. "Got something important on your mind?"

"I received a lot of money and I don't understand how," he confessed. Tony wheeled out and stood, brushing his hands on his jeans.

"So you came to an expert to help." He nodded sagely. "Alright, I'm in if I get a cut of twelve percent."

He stared at him incredulously. "Wh-- no."

Tony nodded once more. "Fair game." He started promptly up the stairs and Bucky shook his head, sighing at the simple eccentricities of the multimillionaire.

////

"Stocks."

He blinked. "Huh?"

"You put money into stocks? When?"

Bucky tried hard to think, chewing his lip. "Must've been... Wait, how's that Apple guy doing? I think... I invested in him."

"Steve Jobs?" Tony looked amused. "Well, that would do it. Congratulations, Manchurian Candidate, you got stocks in Apple."

"When was this?" Steve interjected, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, one time during the eighties in an undercover operation I had to be a stockbroker. Guess I made an actual account for myself."

Steve imagined the Winter Soldier in a suit and tie talking about stocks, and struggled to keep a straight face.

"So what're you going to do with that?"

Bucky scoffed. "Savings, donations," he said off-handedly, then looked over at Steve. "Then you and me are taking a trip, baby doll. Vegas or bust."

Steve grinned in response, and Tony watched the whole exchange. "So can I be excused, or..?"

"Thanks for the help, Stark," Bucky hummed as he pulled Steve closer, completely ignoring Tony by this point. Tony blinked between the two of them, rolled his eyes and exited muttering about how he wanted to go to Vegas.

Steve kissed him, and Bucky smiled as he rested his hands on his waist and tugged him close.