Chapter 3 ▪ Night Shift

Her:

"Haeji!!" He sat up.

"Taehyung-ah, are you okay?" I went to him and held his hand but instead of giving me an answer, he gave me a hug.

"What's wrong?" I asked again.

"Nothing. Thank God, you're still here." He smiled as he brushed the hair covering my face.

"Go back to sleep. You seem tired because of the finals. Get some rest, hmm? You deserve it." When I was about to go back to his room to rest, he pulled my arm.

"Don't leave me, okay? Don't leave, please."

"I won't." I gave him an assuring smile and just slept on the couch across his.

••

The sound of the wheels screeching came to my ears. The light coming from the car made me close her eyes and wait for the impact.

When it came, things started to blur. Raindrops and my teardrops started to drop also. The last thing I heard is a victory laugh from the person that despise me a lot.

"Poor Goo Haeji..."

Him:

"Haeji... Haeji... Haeji!" I started to shake her since tears won't stop flowing out of her eyes.

Once she woke up, she quickly hugged me.

"What happened, huh? Did you dream of something bad? What is it?"

"I think I know how I died."

She told me the whole story of her dream and I told the story of mine. Which I think is connected to hers.

"By any chance, are you the girl that cut her wrists, her uneven haircut and being bullied by other girls from her class?"

"I think... that's me." She's still crying because she can't believe people can be so cruel without her doing anything bad. "Are our dreams connected?"

"Shh... I'm here, Hae." I brushed her soft brown hair.

"Can we not talk about this anymore?"

"Anything you want."

••

"I'm making tteokbokki, do you want some?" Hyung yelled from the kitchen.

"Yes, oppa!" She yelled while I glared at her. Haeji gave an innocent look.

"Don't call anyone oppa except for me." I commanded while my eyes are on the TV watching the last episode of Hwarang.

"Why? I don't even know if you are older than me."

"Just don't, okay?"

"Okay."

••

Her:

Tonight, I went with him in the ice cream place for his night shift.

I was just sitting on a booth while fiddling my fingers while watching Taehyung behind that counter, taking orders when a girl entered the shop.

She was wearing a 4-inch heels, short skirt, and a revealing top with full make up on her. Man, I can't imagine how she manages to walk in those heels.

"Oppa!" She squealed irritatingly.

"Dasom, what the hell are you doing here?" Ooh, he seems mad.

"Is that how you treat your customers, Taehyung-ssi?" She crossed her arms.

"Mr. Kim, didn't you know she's the daughter of the new owner of this place? If you don't want to respect her, you better file your resignation before I fire you." His manager warned.

Taehyung sighed and faced her again, "What would you like, Ms. Kwon?" He faked a smile too.

"I was thinking if I could get..." She put her elbows on the counter and put her head on her hands, "You?"

"Uhh, Yogurt Ice Cream and...?" He avoided her so smooth.

"Tae."

"Tae-n? Ten scoops? That hungry, Ms. Kwon?" So smooth, Taehyung-ssi.

"Kim-"

"I'm sorry, we don't sell kimbap here. I know a good kimbap place across the road."

"Yah! W-"

"Yangnyumjang? Again, this is an ice cream place." He smiled. "If you don't mind, you might want to move a little bit. The line's getting longer and the people are waiting. As the daughter of the owner of this place, you might want to give way to other customers who are willing to buy. Thank you Ms. Kwon."

He looks like he's boiling in anger and he looks irritated though he puts up a fake smile for the other customers.

••

His night shift has ended and it's already 3AM.

I admire him a lot because he helps his older brother financially since they are living without their parents. He also told me that he wasn't really his hyung's dongsaeng.

Meaning, he's adopted, he doesn't know who is his real parents. He really loves his hyung even if he's not his real brother and his hyung does too.

He also told me that he'll do anything to help his hyung financially, emotionally, and physically.

Currently, we're walking to his apartment complex in silence.

"Are you okay?" I decided to break the ice but he didn't reply.

"Who is she?" I asked again and again, he didn't reply.

"Taehy-"

"Stop asking like you truly care about me! Stop asking like we're close! Just stop okay!" I was shocked when he suddenly yelled 'cause this is the first time he lashed out on me.

I walked faster to avoid him. No one wants to talk to me anyway.

I arrived the apartment first and saw his hyung watching a drama on the couch.

"Hello, Seokjin oppa." I sat next to him.

"Where's Taetae?" He asked his eyes still glued on the tv.

"He's coming." Coincidentally, he entered the apartment on time.

"I'll sleep now, hyung. Good night." I didn't look at him because he's not even talking to me so why bother?

"Did you two fight?" He asked when he closed the door to his room.

"No. Why?" It's true. We didn't fight. In fact, we didn't even talk to each other.

"Nothing. It's just weird to see the two of you not bidding goodnight to each other."

"Some things just change. What are you watching?" I asked to avoid the topic.

"EXO Next Door. But I'll end it here, I'm sleepy now. Goodnight, Haeji-ah."

"Goodnight, too."

Seems like I'll sleep on the couch today. Without a pillow nor a blanket. Unfortunately, it's a cold night but my body's colder.