Day Three

"'Cause I know

The first day that I met you

I was never gonna let you

Let you slip away"

The alarm on my nightstand startled me awake, making me groan in annoyance. "Why the hell did I set an alarm?" I opened my eyes, reaching over to turn it off, only to see a bright green sticky note placed on the clock. I turned it off before picking it up. I immediately recognized the handwriting.

Alarm is set so you don't sleep all damn day. Taehyung is coming an hour after the alarm, so be ready for him. Don't be an ass.

                 ~Yoongi

"That son of a bitch set an alarm for me?"

I forced myself out of bed and into my bathroom. Turning on the shower, I eyed myself in the mirror, frowning at my appearance. I had dark bags under my eyes, and my hair was going every different direction.

"Man what happened to me?" I slapped myself a couple of times, waking me up. My eyes landed on the scar on my chest. It wasn't super noticeable now, although it was still a prominent part of my chest. I sighed before climbing in the shower.

I hummed the chorus of a song, one that I didn't remember the origin of, but the lyrics remained deep in my mind.

"Following into the deep night
The sound of you singing
Brings the red morning
A step, and another step
The dawn passes
And when that moon falls asleep
The blue shade that stayed with me disappears"

I smiled at the beautiful song as I finished up my business, turning off the shower. I got dressed in a pair of sweatpants and a matching hoodie before walking into my living room. I heard the familiar knocking on my door, and I exhaled sharply before going and opening it.

"Ah, Taehyung. How are you today?"

His eyebrows furrowed together at my pleasant tone. "Well, I'm okay. And how are you? Good, I hope?"

I nodded, grabbing my keys, phone, and wallet before walking onto the doorstep, closing and locking my door. "You ready?"

"Oh... um, yes. Let's go!" He skipped ahead like a child for a second before he stopped, turning to face me. I couldn't help but smile at his child-like quirks.

"So, where are we going?" I finally caught up to him, and we walked alongside each other. I saw him try and reach for my hand before he dropped his hand back by his side, chewing on his lower lip.

"To your workplace."

"I've been there many times. Yoongi has taken me to try and help me remember and to visit Hoseok."

He shook his head, pressing the down arrow button to the elevator. "You haven't been there with me."

I snuck a glance at him before turning to the front once again. "And what is the significance of that?"

Taehyung visibly tensed up before taking a deep breath. "The coffee shop is where we met."

I made an 'O' with my mouth. The walk was mostly filled with silence. Taehyung was obviously uncomfortable, so I tried to change the mood.

"Hey hyung?" He hummed in response. "If I sang part of a song, could you tell me if you know where its from? I remember some of the words but not the significance behind it."

"I can try."

I gave a small smile as I cleared my throat. "Following into the deep night
The sound of you singing
Brings the red morning
A step, and another step."

He joined me, his voice an octave lower than mine. It was beautiful. "The dawn passes
And when that moon falls asleep
The blue shade that stayed with me disappears."

We smiled at each other, holding eye contact for a few seconds before I looked away. I coughed in an attempt to clear away the awkwardness. "So, you obviously know the song."

"Of course I know it." He stopped walking in the middle of the sidewalk, gripping lightly onto my wrist. He wouldn't meet my eyes, and I could tell that he was having an internal struggle.

"Tae? What is it?"

I saw him gulp at the use of the nickname. I don't know where it came from, but it felt natural. "I wrote that song. You were the only person to hear it, besides Namjoon, who helped me with it and had some lines."

"You wrote that?" I couldn't contain the smile. "It's a beautiful song."

"You liked it when you first heard it, too. I remember you tearing up a little bit. That was when we learned that we can both actually sing."

I giggled as I could vaguely remember the moment. We had just gotten home from dinner with Namjoon and Jin when Taehyung had sat me down on the couch and put the headphones on my head, playing the song.

"Shall we go in?" I pointed at the sign to the coffee shop, and he nodded. I could tell that he was forcing his emotions in, and I felt bad. I reached for his hand, giving it a squeeze before letting go. I saw him visibly relax.

He held the door for me, and I thanked him by giving a slight bow while walking in. The sweet scent of coffee and vanilla filled my nostrils. It really was one of my favorite things about the small shop.

I saw Hoseok behind the counter, and he waved at us. Taehyung told me to wait by the door for a minute while he went and whispered some things to Hoseok, who nodded, his smile not fading once. He took off his apron, walking over to me and slipping it on.

"What?"

Taehyung exited the shop, making me frown. I tried to follow him, but Hoseok held me back. "Stand behind the counter."

I shrugged, going behind the counter. It was a weird, yet familiar feeling. It gave me a sense of deja vu. I heard the bell above the door chime, and Taehyung walked in.

"Taehyung? What is this?" He wagged a finger in front of my face.

"What do you recommend?"

"What?" I shook my head, confused out of my mind. He waved a hand in front of me, making me scrunch my eyebrows together.

"I asked you what you recommend."

I cleared my throat to buy some time and looked into the glass display, my eyes landing on one item. "I really love our pumpkin spice pound cake, but honestly, everything here is delicious. You can't go wrong no matter what you pick." The words slipped out of my mouth, sounding more like a habit than something I had actually thought about saying.

Taehyung's smile grew wider, forming a square. It was adorable, and it made butterflies flutter in my stomach. "Great. Then I will take two slices of the pumpkin spice cake and a caramel macchiato."

"Why does this all seem familiar?"

Taehyung's smile wavered for a second before he, very obviously, forced it. "This is how we met. You don't remember?"

My eyes trailed over the shop from the view behind the counter. I spotted the table Yoongi and Namjoon liked to sit at. I shrugged. "Some of it is familiar, I guess. It's all fuzzy."

He looked disappointed, but he nodded. He motioned to Hoseok, who took his apron back. "Where are we going now?" I asked Taehyung as we were walking back outside. I found myself starting to enjoy his company.

His voice was a little dry, but I could tell that he was trying to hide it. "I think that's enough for one day. I can't force anything."

He walked me home, barely saying a goodbye before he left. I plopped down on my sofa, feeling disappointed. I wanted to make more progress than I was making, but I knew that over time I could at least gain some of it back, even if it is just in bits and pieces.

••••
I cried writing the coffee shop scene. It brings me back to when I first started this story. 💜