Chapter XII: Assault

Finally Tiberius and Alden arrived at Fort Helios, the ride was rather long but eventually came to an end. Fort Helios was a stronghold more or less that overlooked a colony, so they decide to upgrade and expand the colony to a fortress. Once before when he was younger, Tiberius was here with his father in a conference. Being only Six, Tiberius was kind of scared. Though he was around knights usually, he really only liked to be around his mother and father. During the meeting Tiberius had to sit on his father’s lap to feel safe, the other men would yell and make him wince. Now Tiberius was in the meeting room, waiting to see if the general was there. “Sit, just, relax I’m sure they have a meeting soon, then I’ll talk to him”. Tiberius eased as he leaned on the wall, the others sat, Sophia went to her husband. “What happens if he doesn’t allow us to stay”? Tiberius sighed as he removed his helmet, rubbing at bridge of his nose. “Well, if he doesn’t I’ll be shocked, He’s a friend. If he does, we’ll get situated. And if not then..I guess we’ll go to the manors down in town”. As he finished a Lawbringer walked in, side to him was a warden and captain. His armor was silver with grime and a lion engraving on his chest. He didn’t have his helmet, his eyes locked onto Tiberius. “Marcus? You look young..how…”? “I’m not Marcus, geraldus. I’m Tiberius, I’m his son. I seek refuge for my family and I”. Geraldus stepped up to Tiberius, their heights matching, his old gray mustache shuffled as he thought. “You’re Tiberius? Hmm, makes sense. Why are you seeking a place to hide, importantly who are you running from”? The warden stepped back and sighed as he sat with his wife, his mind recalling the day before. “I, I’m running from Apollyon, she wants me dead for reasons I won’t go into, I just need your help please. As an old friend, allow us a place to stay here”. Geraldus nodded as he listened, then rubbed his stash. Tiberius had hoped that he would be kind and give an offer. “Why does your own mother want you dead Tiberius”? ‘Damn, I was hoping he wouldn’t ask..’. “I.. She, made me kill my father.. I was mislead and given a false order, and because of it I was disobedient, and I decided to get those I love out and away from her madness. She wants to start a war with everyone and pin us all against each other.. Look I don’t want to discuss it, I just want them to have a place to stay”.

Geraldus took in what he said, surprised that Apollyon killed her own husband. “I, Alright.. You can stay, but you and I boy will talk. All of you leave, Johann take them to a room or two, let them settle. Tiberius, we’ll discuss this matter. Go now”. Johann talked with Alden and went to their rooms. The room fell quiet as the two remaining starred to another. “Come closer boy, I want to talk to you about your Father”. Tiberius stepped forward and sat. “What happened with Marcus and your mother”? “Apollyon told me of a viking horde marching to one of our forts, they wore our armor and took our weapons. I was sent with a small group to disable their sabotage and prevent them from killing our men. We used explosives to disable their carriages and rides then attack. Our plan worked and we charged, I was raged, angered, I saw a figure and attacked them. That figure turned out to be my father, I had impaled him. With damaged he sustained from the explosions, debris, my blade added to his death-clock.. Marcus is dead, I was a fool-”. “Speak no more boy, I understand. It wasn’t your fault, you were following your orders. Your mother sent you, what would make you believe her orders were false? Nothing, you went and did your job. Now you understand the mistake you made, and you are trying to avoid the results. I’ll let you stay, but if she comes to hunt you, you better man up to her, my men will not die because of your ideals”.

Tiberius nodded as he stood, “Yes sir, I understand”. Geraldus rose and hugged Tiberius. “I understand your hurt boy, your father was a noble and strong man, It was an honor knowing him. I’m sorry he was taken from you, even if you feel it’s your fault. Now, go find your friends and relax. I’m sure the trip here was tiring”. Geraldus sighed as he sat back down, Tiberius exiting to find his lover.