Intermediate: The years before

[:prologue:]

Marcus was a still a proud Centurion, though the Roman Empire fell. He still wore his gear, still kept the virtues but had some trouble with the townsfolk. And his fellow warriors. The world was different now, they now had knights and squires and all this other chivalry terms and personnel. Marcus along with others didn’t exactly fit into their new home. Rome has been a Christian place for years now but Marcus still felt out of place, especially with the christian belief. ‘All the gods and goddesses aren’t real? But this one god is’? He thought. But he had to live so he tried to fit in and blend with the colors. And eventually he found an escape.  

The Centurion, worn and weary trekked his way to the tavern for a drink. He entered and set his helmet down to cool his head. “Good eve Marcus, might I gather your drink”? He nodded to the bartender, who then made his way back with a mug of wine rum. “Thank you Divintus. How does your family”? Divintus shrugged as he wiped a glass, setting it away. “Fine as usual, my boy found himself a lover and she’s quite rough”. “Rough”? “Yeah, she’s kind of rowdy and unlady like. I don’t care but the wife parts when she comes to avoid her ‘Blind nature’ she says. I say as long as my son is happy I could be as ‘laxed as the wind”. Marcus then shrugged to himself as he took a drink. “Evening Ma’am, Drink”? “Wine please”. Spoke a firm feminine voice, both sounding sweet and assertive. She sat down, her body encased in blackened Iron, leather works and a choker. Her helmet had eyes of a spider, and horse mane as a small tail.  Marcus thought oddly about the choice of armor but ignored his mind, not truly caring. Then an armored hand grabbed his helm, “A Centurion? From the Empire”? He nodded taking a swig, then taking back his helmet. “I served in the Roman Legions, yes. Why bother waste thought on it? No one cares anymore, to people. My empire is simply a history lesson, not of importance”. She gestured her hand for a shake, Marcus courteous to return it. “I’m Assylia. Warden of the Blackstone Legion. I would love to hear about your empire, the Great Roman Empire. So, please. Tell me of your journeys through war”. Marcus stared at her, his mind wondered but all he could do was stare. “Sorry, just, taken back by your interest, usually the folk around here don’t care for the past of their country. What exactly do you wish you hear”? She turned to him and took her drink, nodding a thanks. “ War, tell me stories of your battles, of your generals and weaponry”. Marcus sighed as he took another drink, facing his listener as he held his helmet.

“Well, One battle I fought in was the Siege of Dendrium. Was once named Jusryia but once we conquered it we gave it a new name. But the army there fought with will, yet not enough strength. It lasted four days, but they were long fights. I arrived later, I was about.. 16 of age, new fresh out of Rome, previous battles were just out of our peninsula but I had finally been out on the fields of another rule. From one of our nearby forts we marched upon the city, bombarding their towers and walls. The infantry didn’t hold too long against our legionarii, especially with our Commander. He was all a soldier could example, fierce, brave, cunning, skilled and intellectual. He could easily lead us to victory, which many of times he did. He lead the frontal assault diving off of his own horse to save an ally. He would give limb and limb for his men, and we knew it was loyalty, not just the fear of Damocles..But back to the story. He ordered us to push even when we were outnumbered, our testudo formation gave great use during the charge. We huddle, then once the enemy struck, we parried and attacked. One swift motion. Once the numbers started to dwindle for their first infantry, we changed tactics and formed into squadrons of Ten. Fortunately I was with our Commander, and hell did I learn much. I would study his fights, and improvise my own ways. We continued our march to the gate, then planted our incendiaries. But, the Jusrians our enemy for whatever reason opened the gate and blew a hole right in for us. It was idiotic but we pushed their error and took the city by storm. We moved scorpios forward and used them to set up early defenses as he finished our plunder. Dendrium had been ours, and I got to witness a true Roman in combat, was a spectacular feat to see”. He finished taking a drink.

She pointed to his hip, wanting to see the weapon he bestowed. “Sure, I suppose. Are you a squire? Or whatever the hell they name now, if so your armor seems..Out of place”. “No, I’m well experienced. I wish to learn more of your Empire, of you”, She said taking his gladius, examining the blade. Sleek, shiny, tested, worthy. “I’m no story passage, I’m a Centurion. Trained for war, and servitude to my Empire. I will answer questions but, unknown if I’ll open for more stories Assylia”. He uttered as he took his blade back, her face lightly dulled but still shined. “I’m intrigued that you still stand, That you decided to wear your gear, stay true to your Centurion virtues and teachings. I’d love to have you in my legion, you could join up. I’m sure with your experience and obvious strength that you’d rise through. Probably even promote right there. You’re a wolf in this world, you survived the fall of your rulers, your people, and still fight strong and ready as if you were still in your legion. Come, I’ll show you what it’s like. Plus maybe you could duel with me, teach me some roman tactics”. Marcus sighed to himself as he placed three sestertii down and reached for the door. Assylia in haste, paid the server and went to find the man. “Marcus, please. I only wish to know you, please”. She followed as he walked. Turning to her he spoke,  “Why do I matter so much to a stranger. Why does your adoration to me push these limits, you only know my name. My Empire. And my armor, why bother yourself with the rush of hunt for a man with nothing left”. His words took Assylia back, she then sighed as she looked up to him. “ I want to know you, experience your life and see how you are. I value you because you are a survivor. Though you have nothing left you fight for what you must, you fight to survive. Not everyone survives, only strong do. You’re strong, you are alive because you have the power to live. And that is why I wish to learn of you, what you are. Though we just met, and I be young, I feel an attraction towards you.. No matter the impulsiveness that I speak I wish to be with you..”. Marcus remained in his stance, a stern face looking to a woman of oddity.

“You wish to love a man, you know all nothing but the name. You do contract my brain to think, that much I’ll say. I only know you, of your name, occupation and feelings-” “Then get to learn the rest, you are smart indeed? Then study upon me of personality and will, and you’ll benefit to know me. I can’t pull away from your eyes, yet you do. So have the willpower to experience me as a person..Maybe experience my grace if you are as gentle as you be strong.. Marcus..”. She leant in to kiss him, his hand cupping her mouth briefly. “I will give you something: You are persistent, impulsive yes. But another thing I’ll offer you is  chance. If you desire so much of me then be it that way.. I have to return home for tomorrow, I have a weeks travel ahead”. He said letting go, she then planted a quick action before calming. “Might I venture with you, perhaps tomorrow we can leave together”.? Marcus rubbed his face, looking to street then back. “I suppose, give us opportunity to bond..”. She lit up, her face reden and peachy. She seemed like a happy child in the presence of him, and he somewhat felt comfort knowing he could have purpose once more.