Chapter: XIV Alden's Vow

Alden couldn’t believe the days before, crazed to think of his brother. But he had a promise to keep.The ride was long but he and Abigail had made it to St. Richards Cathedral. Alden had talked to the friar and had a small funeral arranged. Abigail couldn’t hold her sorrow back and the waterworks broke out, Alden stood strong but his heart ached. “Spiritus tuus sanctus pater aetherius iam secure. Amen. She’s resting now, I’m sorry for your loss. Give her husband my regards”. “Of course Father, thank you. Have a good day”. Alden croaked, he cleared his throat. Generally he was happy, or at least witty, but Alden for once, he honestly rather just not say anything. Sophia and him were okay friends, they became fond when Tiberius and Alden would train, they’d talk while Sophia knitted. Once they composed a tag team and caught Tiberius off guard, Sophia ended up dropping a melon on his head, to which he was enraged. “You know how are it is to clean the horns on my helm, if it was blood I’d give no bother but a melon?! A fucking melon”? A smile grew on Alden, but receded. “I’ll get him back Sophia, we’re family. We watch each others back, always.. I just. I wish you were still here, you were still young.. Rest easy Sophia”. Abigail clenched hard to Alden, her eyes were like clouds in a storm, blackened, raining, Sophia was a sister if not mother to her. As a young nurse, Abigail looked up to her and made sure to learn and pay attention. All the stitching, blood-stopping tricks, properly securing a bandage, all this she was taught; and she still had much to learn but, perhaps that day mightn’t come.

The clouds were dark, but rain yet to fall. “I’ll leave you with her, I’m sure you wish to express yourself. I’ll be in the cathedral”. Abigail nodded as she stepped closer to the stone, it’s engraving pulling her deeper into despair’s grasp. “Thank you..So, so-hm, I’m sorry I’ a mess.. But I am grateful for your friendship, and your care. You were there for in times and guarded me from pain, and always kept me in check. You-you’re truly an angel sophia, you were a blessing to me. I’ll make sure your teachi-ings are given to others, I’ll come, and give you company and tell you of my days. Like we used to.. May you rest peacefully in the divines and I pray we meet a-again. I love you. Till another day”. The grave was now alone, the living respected the dead and let them rest. Now the sky let loose it’s barrage, the soil began drenched. Alden, a fighter, a knight, kneeled wholesomely in a pew. The mourners rejoined, Alden finished his grace and prayer, rising to meet Abigail. “Are you ready, or do you wish to pray”? Alden asked, Abigails face lightened but shook, “No, I’m. Ready to return home”. The male nodded and led out, they soon would ride back to a town named “Campis Ignis”, it rest just miles east of Mt. Ignis.
There Alden and Abigail had bought a home, Alden joined up with the Iron Legion, forsaking his title as Blackstone. But one day he’d march to the Blackstone Keep, with purity in heart, flail and shield in hand, to bring his brother home. It was his vow to himself, to God.

To Sophia