The Bartender and the Baker (Supernatural FanFic)

~One for Charlie and Her Mystery Soul Mate~

Warnings: Still Pretty Gay

1345 Words
***
Charlie sighed for the umpteenth time that day. She was currently alone in her bakery preparing for tomorrow. It was getting close to seven o'clock since she had to close a little late for Dean and Cas.

Charlie kneaded dough for overnight cinnamon rolls and thought about her day. She had a bit of a rush earlier, but that happened every day - people really liked her baking.

Afterwards, Dean came in for a pie then left. Then he came back ten minutes later with a friend that turned out to be his soul mate! They were going to be great together, she could tell already.

Then they left for a date a while ago and now she was here all by herself after a hard day of work. Charlie decided she really needed to take a break and relax.

She was so deep in thought, she didn't realize she had finished her cinnamon rolls and just needed to cut them to size - apparently she had the movements to make them memorized. She finished them up and sat them in the fridge for the night.

She stretched and she stood up straight, cracking her back as she did so. She untied her apron full of nerdy references and hung it up as she went to go clean up.

Charlie scrubbed flour from her hands and face. She laughed as she saw some flour in her hair. She let her hair down from her tiny ponytail and tried her best to get the flour out. She soon shrugged and gave up as it didn't seem to want to come out.

The baker flipped off her lights but left one on for the morning. It was hard to see at five in the morning and she'd rather not die in her bakery tripping over a chair.

After she had locked her front and back door, she stepped onto the pavement and started the short walk home.

As she walked she saw the old bar that had been in town as long as she could remember. She decided that, for once, she would visit and maybe have a nice drink. A nice drink sounded good to Charlie right now.

She walked through the door of the bar and took a look around. People were hunched over their drinks and were talking amongst themselves. Some stared at her as she walked in like she was an insult, but Charlie didn't care what others thought. She never did.

After the people had settled down and stopped staring, Charlie walked to the bar to get her drink.

As no one was currently working the bar, she decided to walk around. She saw an old jukebox when she came in and decided to play a song. After she decided on one, she looked at the old pictures the place had. There were lots of pictures of a family and some license plates from all over the states. After she had taken everything in, she decided to go back to the bar.

Charlie thought as she sat. She thought momentarily about her day and about how she'd have to remember to order more supplies for her bakery tomorrow. But she mostly thought about the words on her wrist like usual.

"Welcome to the Roadhouse, what 'cha drinking?"

She traced over the dark letters, wondering when she would meet her mystery soul mate. She hoped it would be sometime in the near future. She let out a sigh and stopped thinking about it.

Finally, someone walked over to get her order. The bartender looked to be Charlie's age and had beautiful blonde curls. Her eyes were a gorgeous chocolate brown and she moved with confidence, as if she knew she was drop dead beautiful. She stopped in front of the red head and Charlie felt speechless.

"Welcome to the Roadhouse, what 'cha drinking?" she cheerily asked.

Charlie's eyes went wide as she thought of what to say. That's my tattoo, Charlie thought. She's my soul mate!

Charlie tried to think of a witty thing to say back but kept coming up with nothing. Charlie sat opening and closing her mouth while this beautiful woman stared and waited for her drink order.

After a few more seconds had passed, the girl gave her a strange look and told her she'd come back when Charlie had decided on a drink.

As she walked away, Charlie face palmed and held her head in her hand. Her soul mate finally walked into her life and Charlie could only gape like a fish out of water.

She was freaking out on the inside at all of this and decided to do the one thing that seemed reasonable to her. Charlie calmly stood, grabbed her bag, and left.
***
I am such an idiot, Charlie thought. Why did I just leave? She probably thinks I'm weird now and not the good kind of weird.

Charlie was currently in her bakery, berating herself for her stupidity at the Roadhouse last night.

She had decided earlier that she was going to go back and be honest with the bartender about everything. Charlie would tell the woman that she was her soul mate and that Charlie really wanted to get to know her but understood if she disagreed.

It was strange, but sometimes people thought they were straight until they met their soul mates. Sometimes they would even reject their soul mate to keep up appearances. Charlie seriously hoped her soul mate wouldn't do that to her.

Charlie finished cleaning her small bakery - her hired custodian was watching the birth of his child - and locked up. Once outside, she headed in the direction of the Roadhouse.

Every step she took closer to her soul mate made her heart beat faster and her doubts grow stronger, but Charlie kept on course.

Finally, she stood in front of the doors. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves and stepped inside. This time she didn't waste any time looking around and went straight to the bar.

Charlie's heart fell as she saw an older brunette standing where she expected the blonde to be. She toyed with the idea of leaving and trying again another time until a sweet voice rang out.

"Back again? Maybe this time you'll stay for more than five minutes and actually order something," her soul mate said in a joking manner.

Charlie internally swooned at the sight of her smile and sat on a barstool while the blonde replaced the brunette behind the counter.

"Yep. I'm sorry for yesterday, but I'm back," Charlie quickly added, "that is, if you'll have me."

The red head smiled sheepishly at the look of shock on the woman's face. It took a minute but the woman finally smiled and outstretched her hand.

"I'm Jo," the blonde said as Charlie took her hand.

"Charlie," Charlie replied as they shook.

Jo and Charlie talked for as long as they could before the brunette Jo introduced as her mother - Ellen - told her to go clear some tables.

"You're her soul mate?" the brunette questioned.

"Yes ma'am," Charlie nodded.

"Now, I'm only saying this once, young lady, so listen up. Don't you even think about breaking her heart, she has people that love her very much and that would hate to see her hurting. You understand me?" Ellen asked.

"Yes ma'am, and I assure you that I won't hurt her," Charlie answered.

"Good."

Ellen walked back towards Jo and Charlie decided that Ellen was a bit scary when she needed to be.

Jo suddenly appeared beside her on a barstool and smiled at her.

"My mom gave me the rest of the night off, wanna get to know each other better?" she asked with a dazzling smile.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea," the red head replied with a smile.

The two spent the rest of the evening talking and just enjoying their time together. Charlie decided that her soul mate was well worth the wait.