Last Breath

Hazel felt so bad she wanted to throw up.

She was leading Percy to his own death. She knew the death of the greatest hero of Camp Half-Blood would be a sorrow one, and she couldn't help thinking she was the cause of it.

But Lesley was here. Hazel fought back tears. No more crying, she told herself. Stay strong.

"Lesley," Hazel stammered. She looked at Percy and saw he was taking this calmly. She wished she had his confidence.

"Hazel, is this Percy?" Lesley asked, but Hazel had a feeling she already knew the answer.

"Y- Yes." She choked.

Lesley smiled and pulled out a cleverly hidden dagger made of stiking silver. "Come,"

Percy stepped foreward taking steady breaths. Hazel held hers, waiting for the kill.

Lesley stepped to Percy. She raised her knife-

Percy raised his sword.

Lesley obviously didn't know how to fight. When the two blades met, the sent a startling shook that knocked her back. She scrambled backwards, but Percy pressured on. He left two nicks on her right cheek, a cut on her shoulder, a nasty scar across her ankle.

"Percy!" Hazel screamed. It was no use. Percy was determined to finish this girl off. Then it looked like he'd just seen a ghost.

He stepped back. "Wait, why.... You.. you're effected by my blade?"

Hazel remembered now - that was right, mortals can't be hurt by celestial bronze, Annabeth had told her that. Did this mean that Lesley was a monster? Or something worse?

Lesley managed to say, "Great power comes great price. Our mother always says so. And I listen."

What? This girl wasn't making any sense. "Mother?" Hazel asked.

Lesley shrugged and got up so casually that it was as if she and Percy had just a pushing fight instead of swords.

"Mother Gaea has requested your death, Son of Posideion." Lesley spoke like a god herself.

She turned to Hazel. "But a Son of MArs will have to do."

Hazel screamed, "WAIT!" And threw out her dagger, Percy took one more swing with his sword, but Lesley had dissapeared into the fog. Hazel fell onto her knees.

Percy knelt down beside her, eyes full of shock and guilt, matching Hazel's. "I'm so sorry, Hazel, I should have killed her, I should have finished her off..." But Hazel wasn't listening. All she could think about was Frank, his smile, his laugh, his clumsiness, his sweet personality, how he was always there for her, and now he would be gone forever because of her.

Hazel sobbed into her sleeve. She wanted Frank to be here, comforting her, not Percy, not Annabeth, not even Nico. She had missed him when she first arrived at the graveyard. But now, sitting here in the midddle of a row of gravestones, she could almost imagine Frank's right inbetween them.

That only made her sob harder.

***

Leo drifted asleep in his makeshift bed behind Mark's Repair. Which only meant demigod dreams.

Leo dreamed he was facing Percy. Percy frowned at him, annoyed.

"Percy?" Leo gulped. Something was wrong. Leo figered he was watching a scene, not being in it, from the way Percy seemed to see right through him.

Leo walked to the side, each step feeling like clay. He saw Percy's gaze was still directed in the same spot.

"Percy!" Came a cry from behind. Annabeth ran out of cloudy whiteness. That's when Leo noticed the location. He seemed to be standing in milky foam, which probably explained why each step was not only ghostly, but was like walking in water. Although Percy and Annabeth seemed to move around fine.

"Percy, we found his body." Annabeth had a distant look in her eyes, like she'd just witnessed a death. Which was probably true, depending on her choice of words.

Percy turned to face Annabeth. "How? We've been searching for months."

Annabeth nodded, then sighed sadly, looking down. "Remember when we were flying over the ocean, and the harpies attacked?"

Percy nodded. "Yeah?"

"And- and he fell? Well, we must've come near that spot again, or the body was washed away somewhere else. Or maybe its you dad, Percy. Either way, we found the body."

Percy nodded. "Let me see it."

Leo followed Percy and Annabeth through the white foam, the backround bcoming clearer and clearer as they passed through door and up stairs. It still felt like wet clay was wrapped around his legs, but it was obvious they were at the Argo II by the time they got to the front deck.

Leo passed by Hazel and Frank holding onto each other. hazel looked like she'd had a vacation into a ghost house. Frank looked more like he's just found out he was a ghost, only ten times worse. Leo couldn't imagine what they could look so sadly shocked about, unless it was the missing body. Anyways, who was the body? Was it one of his friends?

He continued following Percy and Annabeth until he saw Piper sobbing uncontrollably into Jason's chest. Jason looked close to tears himselve, but Leo could tell he was holding it together for Piper.

Leo looked around and counted off the demigods. Percy, Annabeth, Frank, Hazel, Piper, Jason... where was he? Maybe this was what was happening right now! Maybe this was the present! Maybe, if this dream was right, his buddies had managed to fight off the harpies and contine their quest! Maybe-

Leo almost screamed when he saw the body. He was at a loss for words. But- but he was here! He was alive! He was working at Mark's Repair! He was safe! That couldn't be him!

Leo almost screamed again when he saw everyone looking sadly at it, silently. Even Piper had managed to hold their breath.

Leo shook his head. It couldn't be the present, he was right here! Unless you can have dreams when you're dead, he thought. He felt like crying. He sniffed. He hated to admit it, but he really needed a hug right about now.

Right in the middle of the deck was his scrawny, soaked body. His skin showed through his shirt from the water. His hair was a new kind of frizzy and a different shade of black. His skin was sickly palish green, and he was as scrawny as ever.

But it was him. And whether this was the present, or the future, or just a normal nightmare, Leo knew nothing good could come out of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter was shorter than usual...

Thanks for reading! Please comment! Check out my profile!

~Alex :D