three

"What the hell did I just do?" Victor questioned himself. It wasn't supposed to go like that, he wasn't supposed to kill anyone today especially not in front of her. He'd already carved a mark for that low life that had tried to harm his-well he wasn't sure what she was, but people should't be touching her he thought. He definitely should't have asked her out, but he did and there was no way he'd stand her up, no matter how much she didn't want to go. He was a gentleman like that.

"Who are ya talking to Mr. Zsasz?" A voice asked from behind him. It was the desk clerk at his apartment building. Like the girls that worked for him he wasn't attached to this man, but had a level of respect for him that saved him from a bullet in the head.

"Nobody." His reply was short and dangerous, but the little old man didn't exactly know when to stop. He had three kids that now had kids of their own and he always believed talking helped in every situation.

"Mr. Zsasz, do you need anything?" The strong voice deeply contradicted the old man's appearance and the contradiction made him think of Novella. For some reason she always popped into his mind. It was annoying.

"Maybe." Victor turned to look at the man and deciding he was no threat began what some would call a civilized conversation, "If I talk with you you tell no one what I say, or my no kill order on you will be lifted." The man didn't blink before nodding and Victor started the conversation.

"I've got a date of sorts tonight and I'd rather it end with the good screaming not what normal people would deem bad." He chuckled a bit and the old man just looked on waiting for more. "I guess what I need to know is how would I go about that. You know what I do, she knows what I do and it wouldn't be bad if her uncle hadn't been one of my assignments, but he's still alive so that shouldn't be a big deal." The absolute lack of care didn't surprise the older man, he had worked in this building for years and had seen many like Mr. Zsasz come through here.

"Well, if you want my advice I'd say don't be a dick to her and you'll be fine. Although girls can be fickle creatures so the whole uncle ordeal could be a deal breaker, but with enough charm you should be okay. And don't lead with the screaming thing, that won't work well for you." Zsasz nodded as he took in the information and stored it away for later use. The audacity of the man was enough to keep Victor's respect and he left without another word or threat. People who knew him didn't need a second threat, unless they were Jim Gordon, because he's an idiot.

-

The nerve of Victor Zsasz was appalling. Truly brilliantly appalling. Novella was left covered in blood in the middle of an alley and had a date with a sociopath tonight. She had no idea how she managed to get herself into these situations. The best plan of action would be to call her uncle, which is just what she did.

"Hey Uncle Jim. Um, this is going to sound really weird but I was on my way to work and now I'm standing in an alley beside a dead body." The words didn't come out in the best way possible, but Novella hadn't ever been great with breaking news.

"No I didn't kill him! He had put a knife to my throat and the man that tried to get you yesterday just shot him and walked away." She was getting increasingly frustrated, but she needed her uncle down here.

"No he didn't say anything to me, just shot him and walked away. I have no idea why." She thought it'd be a bad idea to mention the date she had to go on, especially when Jim was already so stressed out.

When her uncle got to the scene he told her to go home while he figured everything out. As reluctant as she was to leave him, she obeyed and went home to get a shower and plan for tonight. 

~

Novella pulled on the hem of her black dress. It was simple but lovely, and in her opinion, quite badass when paired with the red leather jacket she'd pulled on. She needed all the support she could get for this forced date, so she had put on the nicest tough girl outfit she had.