fifty three

Victor watched closely as the doctor worked away on his fiancee. There were tubes going into multiple parts of her body and wires attached to machines attached to her. He wasn't sure if they were all necessary, but it had been thirteen hours and she hadn't woken up. He'd gone that long without talking to her before, but there was a difference in not being able to because of work and not being able to because she was out cold.

When Jim had walked in after running after Jerome it was as if Victor's world had stopped. He hadn't killed the nasty little bastard. Jerome Valeska was perfectly fine, albeit a little more wounded than before, but nevertheless, he was able to go home to his girl. Meanwhile, Victor's whole world was fighting not only for her life, but also their child's life, and there was nothing he could do.

For thirteen hours, Victor had watched the gentle rising and falling of Novella's chest. He had refused nearly all food except for when Jim came in a basically forced the assassin to eat. He'd said something about Novella killing him if he let Victor die while she was asleep. It was all very dramatic for Victor. It reminded him too much of her.

He found himself watching the two heartbeats on the monitor. Novella's and their baby's. Both were strong, despite Jerome's best efforts. Victor had severed the IV before too much of the chemical had made it into Novella's body, but he hadn't seen the syringe that had been pressed into her. Nobody had.

The doctor's kept coming in every hour, assuring him that she would be awake soon, but soon wasn't coming soon enough. If he heard that horrible word one more time he might just pull the twin guns from their holsters and release all of the pent up anger that was inside of him.

He should have killed the bastard when he had the shot.

He was glaring at the wall when a gagging noise and the quickening of the heart monitor's beeping pulled his attention. His feet moved before his mind and then he was pulling out the tube from Novella's mouth and handing her the water to soothe the roughness that coated her throat.

When the doctor's finally arrived a few minutes later he shot them each a glare before going off on them.

"Three minutes she would have been here choking on this if I hadn't been here. Give me a reason why I shouldn't-"

"Babe," Novella lifted a hand to rest on Victor's black overcoat, "as much as I love watching you threaten people - and believe me I do - this is Gotham what do you really expect." She let out a rough laugh. "Can we go home? I'm a little sick of hospitals."

He simply nodded his head before allowing the doctors to do their jobs.

•*•*•*•

"Now remember to ensure she takes her medicine and vitamins every day as well as-" The doctor was cut off by Novella.

"Why don't you tell me all this shit? I am a person and it is my baby and my health! And why the hell am I in this wheelchair? I am perfectly capable of walking out of this damn hospital," Novella said before getting up and proceeding to stumble a few steps before Victor caught her in his arms.

"As capable as I know you are how about you let me carry you out?"

She nodded her head before allowing him to pick her up and carry her out of the hospital.

"How are Asterion and Wesson?" She asked him, big blue eyes peering into his with that glaze of sleepy innocence she always got when she needed more sleep.

"Charles called and they're all fine. He even said something about Asterion having slept on your side of the bed while we were at the hospital."

Novella gave him a victorious grin, like the dog's affections were a competition. She would've been content to stay in his arms the rest of the way home if a thought hadn't occurred to her.

"How's the shop? Has Caspian called? He's supposed to look after it for me whenever I unexpectedly don't show up." The sleepy look had left her eyes quickly and she slipped easily into business mode.

Victor rolled his eyes though. As much as he loved that Novella had the store to keep her occupied, he couldn't help his disdain for the boy that she employed. He seemed quite spineless to him.

"He called and everything is fine. He even faxed you the daily sales." Victor rolled his eyes as the words rolled off of his tongue. He really didn't appreciate that Caspian thought he could just fax Novella whenever. "He could've just left them for you."

"Victor, we've been over this, Caspian is just trying to be helpful. I honestly don't know why you don't like him." She shook her head as Victor places her in the car. "He's a nice boy."

"He got reassigned to your shop because he couldn't pull the trigger. I know five-year-old girls with more spine than him." Novella narrowed her eyes at her fiancé.

"It's noble of him."

"It's weak. You do what you have to do when you have to do it." His grip tightened on the steering wheel once he got into the car. In his mind it was simple, but he saw in black and white, Novella saw in every color.

"You and I both know that isn't true. My shop is a third option and your lifestyle is your third option." She gave him a leveling look as she saw he was about to interrupt her. "You love what you do. You don't do it because you have to, you do it because you want to. Caspian isn't like you or me. He doesn't look at blood and want more and he doesn't look at corruption and see a playground."

Victor looked her in the eyes. Everything she's just said about herself was false and they both knew it, but it was all true for him. Gotham was his playground and blood was just the sunny day that made it perfect.

Novella was the towel that wanted to soak up the blood. She was the rain that washed it all away, but she didn't see that.

"Babe, you and me, we're different. You see Gotham's possibility and I see our possibilities here."

"Maybe," she pondered it for a moment, "and maybe that's why we're so perfect together. Maybe if we ever did take control of Gotham we could do something beautiful with your playground."

She threw him a playful smile as she rubbed circles absentmindedly across her stomach.

Victor didn't know why, but lately, the thought of them ruling together had been popping into his head a lot. Novella and Victor Zsasz, King and Queen of Gotham City.

•*•*•*•

A/N : Short filler chapter that I wrote while on the bathtub so idk if it's that great. More to come, but we're actually almost down with season four.

QOTC : Should I stop the book after season four and do a second book for season five and after or should I wrap up the book with season five and then do a second book with after?