thirty two

Novella was staring at the ceiling of Victor's apartment listening to the steady breathing of Asterion. Victor had gone out early that morning, something about a disturbance with one of Penguin's shipments. It really didn't matter to Novella seeing as her own shipments were brought in on a train meaning it was less likely to be screwed up.

She looked over to the side of the room from her spot on the bed to the little rays of sunlight just peaking through the window. Some days, like today, she loves mornings. Other days not so much.

"What do you wanna do boy?" She asked the dog as she sat up and rubbed the place where his ears connected to his head.

Asterion leaned back and started to shake his leg in enjoyment with his tongue falling partially out of his mouth.

"Well I guess you would be content to lay here all day but we've gotta get up and at 'em." She pressed her face into the thick fur of his neck and placed a kiss to his head before standing from the bed and stretching in the most satisfying of ways.

Asterion padded after her as she made her way into the kitchen and fixed a cup of coffee. She surveyed the apartment as she sipped at the warm brew. Though she had been here for weeks, she hadn't taken the time to appreciate all the little things that made it Victor's. Much like the lack of decoration save for the picture she had given him of the night sky. Still the photo took her breath away and she could only compare the dark beauty of it to her favorite assassin. It surprisingly went very well with all the other weird things in his apartment. Her personal favorite was an antique sword that looked menacing from it's place above the fireplace.

•*•*•*•

"All I'm saying is that you and I should so go out on the town. Maybe have a few drinks or drink a bar dry," Potter said. She hopped up onto the counter of the weapons store and pulled a flask from her purse. "That could be fun."

Novella watched the girl take a swig of whatever was in the container and offered a smile. "Sounds fun, besides it could be fun to try and keep you out of trouble."

"Key word would be try. I'm a storm, doll and I don't come with a warning." Potter's blue eyes danced before settling on the figure that walked into the store, interrupting their conversation.

"Hey Miss. Owens, Penguin sent me for a job interview." The small voice came from a boy of about seventeen with dark brown hair. "I-um I used to work at a different one of his investments, but they let me go."

Novella surveyed the boy along with Potter. Two sets of unforgiving eyes visibly set the boy on edge.

"Why'd they let you go?" Novella asked, finally breaking the silence.

"I refused to do something they asked me to do." The quivering of the boy subsided as he went stone faced and held Novie's gaze.

"And what makes Penguin believe I would hire someone that refuses to do their job?" Novella quirked an eyebrow at the boy.

"The thing I refused to do was murder someone. He thought you would respect that or something along those lines."

"You start tomorrow. What's your name?"

"Caspian Oliviern."

"I'll see you tomorrow Caspian. We open at ten in the morning and I expect you here half an hour before that." She kept her expression powerful as she watched the boy walk out of her store and then turned to Potter with a smile. "I liked him."

"Really? Cause I would've thought you wanted to gut him and wear his intestines as a beautiful bloody necklace. I think he wet himself a bit." She let out her sadistic laugh and took another swig of her drink. "Anyways, I'll meet you at the Rabbit Foot after close, yeah?"