fifty one

Novella was shaking as she sat on the floor in front of the couch. She had a trashcan positioned in front of her, courtesy of Victor, as she watched the daily news.

She should've been at work, but after the amount of vomit that had come out of her that morning she wasn't feeling up to it. Also, Victor had almost tackled her trying to get her to stay home with him.

Now they were sitting side by side in the floor, Asterion with his head propped up on Novella's lap and Wesson curled up on the large couch as they all watched the news.

"We could've gone to that music festival," she said before feeling a wave of nausea overcome her.

"That's why we didn't go. I don't need your vomit all over my shoes in the middle of a crowd." Victor's teasing smirk pulled one from Novella as he took the van away.

"But my vomit would be an improvement on that look."

Victor opened his mouth to say something snarky back, but a loud noise from the TV stopped him. The couple both looked up at the large machine to see the music festival kicking off. The music drifting from the band wasn't half bad, at least in Novella's opinion, but Victor was just looking at her in mock disgust at how much she seemed to be enjoying it.

"Don't give me that look when I know for a fact that you sleep with socks on," she said, pointing an accusatory finger at him. "What kind of a psychopath-"

She was cut off by Victor's fake coughing noise and a completely offended look.

"I'm sorry muffin I meant what kind of a sociopath sleeps with their socks on." She laughed out loud at his satisfied look, but they didn't get too far deeper into the conversation before more TV racket drew their attention.

Novella almost threw up again when she saw her red-headed cousin strutting around the stage before bashing in the lead singer's head. She instinctively wrapped her arms around her stomach, despite no bump being there.

"Victor," she said though her voice was scarcely more than a whisper. "Victor he's going to do something to ruin us."

"I won't let him baby." He wrapped her in a hug, squeezing her just tight enough to let her know she was safe.

They both watched in silence as Jerome brought out prominent people of Gotham and had them sit in chairs, leaving three empty in the middle.

"Now, as you can see, we're still waiting for three guests of honor. But in the meantime, let's go over the rules of tonight's entertainment, shall we?"

Novella gripped onto Victor tighter, but it wasn't in fear. She was unbearably angry. She was angry that this lunatic that dared to call himself her cousin could just waltz into the world and uproot her life. "Dynamite. Trigger. I don't get what I want? Boom. Headless people. And if any of you are thinking of going anywhere, you'll die, too."

Her eyes drifted to the collars around the people's necks and she couldn't help but think in only a little time she would have one around her neck as well. After all, one of those chairs probably had her name on it - literally.

"And, none of you worry about the IV, that's for one of our guests, but trust me it's gonna be killer." He laughed his demonic laugh and when he looked into the camera it was as if he was looking directly at her.

"Now, the one man who can give me what I want - come over here -" he pulled the cameraman in closer, "Calling Gordon. Calling Captain James Gordon." And that laugh continued on and on and on.

•*•*•*•

Not long after Jerome had gone to just performing musically, albeit in a strangely psychotic way, Jim called Novella. His voice was a mix of worried, angry, and terrified.