fifty

Novella paced across the floor while Victor watched from the bed wondering what was on the pregnant woman's mind. She was huffing slightly and rubbing the nonexistent bump on her stomach that Victor was impatiently waiting on to grow.

When she finally came to a stop in front of him, why came out of her mouth shocked him to say the least.

"I don't want our baby to be an assassin," she said her blue eyes cutting into his brown ones with no room for argument. "I know you probably want to train our little nugget to be your prodigy, but I don't want it to grow up to have tally marks up their arms."

The remark hit him hard in the chest. Of course he'd wanted to train his kid to be like him, but he never would have forced it to kill until it could make that decision for itself. His tally marks being brought into it were another thing entirely.

"Babe, I would never-"

"I know, but it had just been on my mind and I know it's been on yours too. And I didn't mean anything about your scars, honestly I think they're hot it's just that it must hurt to get them and I don't want the nugget to ever get hurt." She was cradling her stomach with both arms at this point making Victor feel the need to protect them both.

He pushed up from the bed and wrapped Novella in a hug that forced the girl to release her stomach to reciprocate.

"I don't want the baby to get hurt either Novie and I'd fill my arms with these scars to make sure the both of you never feel pain." He pulled back from the hug to look her in the eye and press a kiss to her forehead. "As long as I'm alive you two will never worry about anything."

Novella didn't say a word to his promise, just pulled him closer to her and buried her head in his chest. They would've stayed that way for hours if Victor hadn't had an idea.

"Go get dressed, I'm taking you out."

•*•*•*•

Novella hadn't been to the restaurant Victor chose in years. Ever since their first date they didn't seem to get enough time considering all the happenings in Gotham. So it was a happy surprise for her when Victor led her through the doorway of Dawson's.

Her hands pulled on the sheer fabric of her dress. The little purple flowers that decorated it paired with the white slip underneath helping to cover her against wondering eyes that would have Victor in a rage.

"I called ahead and got our table," he said into her ear as his hand grazed her lower back. "Of course the people over at the window aren't exactly happy with their new seating arrangements, but no one can say no when a hitman says please."

Novella's laugh rang around the restaurant at the whispered words and with it her head flew back leaving her eyes to catch sight of the cloudless sky above them. Just like the night of their first date, she was mesmerized by the thousands of twinkling stars that scattered across the Gotham sky. It was as if, in the middle of all the turmoil of their lives, something was right for a moment. Something gave her hope for the child in her womb.

"Victor this is perfect." She leaned up to him and placed a kiss to his bare cheek and wrapped her arms around his torso.

He gave her a mischievous smile and said, "wait 'till you see what's for dessert."

Her head cocked to the side a little, a habit she'd picked up from Victor over the years, and gave him a puzzled look.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just wait, Novie. I promise you'll love it."

And with that he pulled out the chair, allowing her to sit down and look over the menu.