thirty eight

Novella had come to the orphanage to represent her considerable place in Gotham, but now she was regretting that decision more an more. She was also repeatedly cursing her parents inside her head. Ever since that insane pig-man had shown up at the orphanage benefit she'd had the distinct feeling that everything was going to go even further to hell than it already was, especially since Victor was on one of his jobs and wouldn't be able to save her. She'd have to save herself.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as you by now have surmised, there's been a change in the program." Novella looked up to the pig-like man who was now beginning to get into his performance.

"Tonight, we are proud to present the six merry Gothamites of Squatter's Row, and Martin, from the Falcone Home and School for Orphans, in our rendition of the 'Meat Pie Tango.'" Novella looked around the dark room as music began to play around them. Her eyes followed the man responsible before locking on who she assumed was Martin. To her, he looked like a miniature Penguin that was much more adorable, but he also looked scared no matter if he was trying to hide it.

"Bob Fricks Trish Nunuh Cyrano Vincent," the pig-man droned on before Martin tapped the triangle in his hand. The pig started singing and freakishly dancing at that sound. "You have it coming, you have it coming. You only have yourself to blame. If you'd have been fair - if you'd have been keen, I betcha these pies wouldn't taste the same!"

"Enough!" Novella's head snapped to Sofia, sitting just down the table beside Oswald. The lilac-haired girl tried to plead with her blue eyes for the other young woman to shut up, but she wouldn't. "Where are the other children? If you hurt them, I swear."

Novella heard metal on wood followed by an earsplitting scream and immediately knew what took place without having to look at the kitchen tool that was now stuck in Sofia's hand. She looked in front of her where Oswald was now screaming along with Sofia.

"Rude," Pyg said when Oswald made eye contact with him and the screams were more controlled. "I'm not finished. Sit down."

Novella watched as Oswald disregarded the order so that he could help the female Falcone, but Novie knew that was a mistake. If she'd learned one thing from Victor, as well as her ridiculous parents, it was to stay out of sight when everything hit the fan. Watch and observe, then plan your next move. Obviously, Oswald had never learned that lesson.

"Pull it out, and the next one's in her eye," the man's overly-bored voice said. Novella couldn't say that a little part of her didn't want to see that, but she didn't pay that part any mind. That was the part of her that had been born inside her parent's mansion back in Georgia, and sometimes came out to play when she needed an extra layer of protection - like tonight.

"Oswald, no," Sofia said while still letting out a few pained pants. This obviously eased Penguin enough to sit down, but he still kept a murderous glare fixed on Pyg.

"Now, to answer your question, my dear, the other children and your staff are safely locked in the kitchen. Despite appearances, I'm not an animal." He gave an ironically animalistic laugh before opening his mouth again "Martin, may we continue? You have all fed upon the poor of Gotham for years. Now you're going to know what they taste like. Please, open your envelopes and look at the photographs inside."

Novella stared at the little square of white in front of her plate and got a sickening feeling in her core. She didn't move to grab it though - no one did. That seemed to irritate the Pyg more than anything.

"Oh, come on. - Open them!"

People let out little-terrified sounds, except for Novie who kept her mouth shut. Even as others were letting out confused little huffs of breath. Novie stayed silent as the dead.