fifty seven

Potter was sneaking around the apartment of the notorious Victor Zsasz. She'd heard that he had been seen around the precinct and was beyond curious to know why he would be working with the GCPD.

"For a hitman, you keep a warm home." Potter lifted up a plush white throw pillow from the couch and set it back down. "It's almost as if you actually have a life."

She trailed her fingers along the wall in such an absent-minded way that she almost tripped over the large object on the floor.

A dog. A huge dog with a small hairless cat curled into it.

The dog and cat were both sound asleep, but Potter reminded herself to be more careful.

"The cat I can see a bald hitman having, but a dog . . ." she looked back at the dog and quirked her head to the side. "You know buddy, you look a lot like Novie's dog."

Potter looked around the apartment and squinted her eyes. There were no pictures of any family. There was no sign as to who lived here. If she didn't know for a fact that this was Victor Zsasz's apartment, she wouldn't have even guessed.

She scanned the walls for any sign before she found something.

A beautiful picture of the stars.

"Bingo," Potter whispered.

She walked over to the picture and pulled it from the wall. She flipped it around and found the only clue that was there. A note.

Victor,

I know the photo isn't your style but I thought of you. I saw it and could only compare it to you. My two favorite things in the world are you and the night sky. You're wonderful.

~Novella

"Bingo. Novella Gordon you sneaky little minx." Potter stroked the well-worn note as she mumbled to herself about her best friend. "Fucking a hitman. And to think, I was concerned about dating a psychopath that wants to blow up the city."

Potter shook her head a bit and let out a laugh, clinging onto the picture, "I'll just take this with me then."

She sent one last look around the apartment and smiled so wide that should anyone have seen her they would've known she was insane.

•*•*•*•

Novella was still fuming and pacing around the GCPD when Alvarez popped up near to her and Harvey. She hadn't been talking to the older man, she hadn't really been talking to anyone, not even Victor who had just gotten off the phone and was staring at her. 

"Harvey." Novella's attention was drawn to Alvarez and whatever he would say next in the vain hope that it would be news of Jim. "Jeremiah Valeska wasn't inside the bunker when it blew."

Anger rushed through her at his words.

"How do you know?" Harvey asked the question that Novella was too absorbed to ask.

"Cause he's outside, and he's not alone." 

"Is she with him." Novella was able to get the question out of her mouth.

"Is who with him?" Alvarez and Harvey asked at the same time.

"That black haired bitch that will have her head on a spike outside of this precinct!" Novella's eyes were glowing with anger and she had a hand on her large stomach. 

Victor stalked to her side and started whispering in her ear but it was to no avail. 

"Yes." Was all Alvarez got out before Novella and Victor were rushing to the doors of the precinct with Harvey close behind.