forty four

If Novella hated one person it was Sofia Falcone. The woman had wrapped every man in Gotham around her little finger, except for Harvey.

"Harv, I just don't know what to do. Victor is working for her now and I can't stand it." Novella ran a hand through her hair that was now close to falling out due to stress. "I'm fine with his job you know, just not when he's doing it for that bitch."

Harvey gave her a long look and took a sip of his drink. It was no secret that the man disapproved of Novie's taste in partner, but he was supportive nevertheless.

"Did you tell him about this because this really seems like something you should talk to him about," Harvey said. His face was in a grimace almost like Jim's, but more uncomfortable. It was hard for Novella to suppress her laugh at the look.

"If you were uncomfortable Uncle Harvey you could've just said so." She got up from her spot at the bar next to him and grabbed her purse. "I've got to go run an errand, but I'll see you later."

Harvey grunted in response and returned the girl's hug before going back to his drink. As mad as he was with Jim, Novella was like a daughter to him and he'd never turn her away, but sometimes he didn't want to know everything about Novella's personal life.

Novie walked out of the bar and to her awaiting cab, the ride that would take her to Arkham for the second time.

•*•*•*•

"Well, well, well little girl back so soon." Jerome Valeska's voice was a mix of boyish and ruggish — as if being stabbed in the vocal cords had caused permanent damage.

"Yeah well, something about danger just seems to call me. Maybe," Novella paused and gave the psychotic boy an unafraid smile, "I have a death wish."

Novella had made the decision that morning to visit Jerome. She'd had the need for a while, but hadn't been able to make herself visit. Victor had persuaded her though, saying that he'd be in the area should she need him.

"And I've been dying to grant that wish." Novella somehow kept a straight face as Jerome lunged at her and wrapped his hands around her neck.

The hold wasn't awful enough to restrict her air or even leave a bruise, but it was enough to slightly unnerve her.

"So that means I've got two wishes left, right . . . Genie?" Novella smirked as the words left her mouth. Even with the meaty smell of Jerome's hands around her neck, she managed to counter all of his actions with her smart mouth.

Jerome's wicked face turned contemplative as he thought over Novella's words. His hand released from her neck and he sat back in his seat.

"Your wish is my command," Jerome said and placed his arms in front of him like a genie.

Novella was taken by surprise. Sure Jerome was insane, but to completely play along with whatever she said was a bit much to believe.

"I wish that you'd tell me what you know."

"When fornicating the male places his genitals in-"

"Not that you pervert, everyone knows that. I want to know what you know about my biological parents." Novella's voice was stone cold, but Jerome didn't pay attention to her wish.