forty

"You shouldn't slouch so much, Vic. It's bad for your back," Novie told Victor as she watched him from their bed.

Ever since the incident Victor had been adamant about her either staying in bed or in the apartment and, as well-meaning as it was, it was beginning to piss her off. So naturally, she turned to annoying him in order to be released from the apartment.

"Everything is bad for my back, Novie and as cute as your worrying is I need to go to work." Novella rolled her eyes at him in an incredibly not playful way, but he just laughed instead of getting angry.

"I'm not going back to that cold office and sitting in some weird ass chair just because you think I'll get abducted, or threatened, or-"

"Or forced to eat a cannibal pie?" Victor offered, cutting her off.

"Actually my love, I didn't eat the pie thank you very much." Novella folded her arms over her chest and cut eyes at a spot on the way.

"Oh excuse me, you were just knocked unconscious after you taunted and attacked a psychopath." Victor's voice was sarcastic but his face was all serious. He'd been scared. Novella knew that he loved her and she knew he cared for her, but the utter fear of losing her due to her own recklessness scared the man who wasn't scared of anything.

"He had a cleaver to a little boy's throat, Vic." Novella began to tear up at the memory. "What if he'd killed him?"

Ever since she'd gotten back from the hospital, she'd been slowly regaining her memories and now she had almost the entire night put together. Including the bit about her paternal lineage.

"What if it'd been our kid?" Novella asked, more to herself than him.

"Novella, any kid of ours will grow up safer than any in Gotham." Victor walked over to the bed from where he'd been at the dresser and sat beside the lilac-haired girl that now had fear all over her face.

"We can't bring a little defenseless baby into this city. All tiny and big eyes. Vic, I can't do that to something so innocent." Tears were now threatening to spill from her face and Victor didn't know what to do, so he said the one thing that he knew would help her.

"When the day comes that you've got a little bean in your stomach, I'll get you both as far away from Gotham as humanly possible." He stared at her completely flat stomach for a minute before adding, "I promise."

That was enough for Novella. Victor didn't make promises unless he intended to keep them. To him, his honest word was always kept. Now, that didn't mean that he would lie a little if he was on a job, but it did mean he'd never lie to Novella and he'd never make a promise he couldn't keep. So she nodded her head and took the promise to heart.

"Good. Now that that's settled you need to get your beautiful ass out of bed and get ready to come to Penguin's," Victor said. All traces of their serious conversation was long gone as he gave her a grin and pulled her body to his to give her a kiss.

Novella let out a series of laughs as Victor continued to kiss from her temple down her face and onto her collar bone. It was probably her favorite way to be coaxed into doing something, especially having to get ready.

"Fine, but damn you and you're addictive kissing," she said as she pushed him away and stomped into the bathroom like a child.

Victor just laughed and watched her throw her little tantrum from his spot on the bed, still lying where she'd pushed him down.

•*•*•*•

Novella had been sitting in Victor's small office for what felt like hours when finally something happened. The phone rang. On any other day, Novella wouldn't have thought twice about a phone ringing, but seeing as Victor had been down in Penguin's torture room all day, it was rather exciting.