» 39

(ZACH'S POV) | (FINAL CHAPTER)

Gia's dad steps next to me, beginning to speak into the microphone.

"Welcome everybody, as you may or may not know... my daughter who was the coordinator of these events passed away... tragically. I could never finish talking about my daughter and what beautiful impact she has left imprinted into this world. Some words I will share about her is that heart was bigger than our minds can imagine. She was the light, and held an enormous amount of beauty with every action of hers. I know my next decision that I will soon share would have made her heart skip a beat. I present to you, the new coordinator of these events, Zach Herron."

I take a shaky breath and walk up to the microphone.

I can do this.

"Good afternoon. My name's Zach Herron, the new coordinator of this fundraiser and of future ones."

The tears daring to escape my eyes stay put because they can't be shown with the confident look on my face I am trying so hard to put.

"I want to thank everyone for coming out here and supporting one of the many issues some people face. An issue that many do not regard because it doesn't affect them. Everyone here knows that it does exist. Everyone here also knows that we as individuals can help. I thank you for that because not everyone believes this."

I see her in the crowd, her eyes full of love and a proud smile that she'd always give me.

I know she's not there, I know that if I ran down right now and tried to hug her, I would meet with thin air.

I know she's not there, even though the look in her eyes seems realer than anything.

She's not there, Zach.

"I don't know if any of you remember me from the previous event, but it was my first event I had ever coordinated. It was my first event, and I had a partner. Everyone knows her, even if you've never seen her."

The lump in my throat almost stops me, but the look she gives me as she stands in the crowd gives me all the motivation I need.

For a second, the crowd disappears and all I see is her.

I no longer care if my tears dare to appear, or if my confidence fades away.

"If anyone ever mentioned a ray of sunshine, that was her. A sweetheart, that was her. The best person in the world, that was her. She may not have been the person who you thought of when those terms were said, but her connection with those terms was just as true and existent. Gianna Thalia Brielle is the reason I'm here talking to everyone here, and the reason this event is still going on today... and always will until I hand this position to someone else who held almost as much excitement and pride as Gianna did."

She smiles in the crowd, her lips say, "I love you."

She stands there, right in front of me, feet away, being proud and supporting me.

She's not real, Zach.

The absence of her, someone who I love, is the greatest thing I will ever carry in my life.

Yet with the weight, as she looks at me with that smile of hers, I feel the weight weigh no more than a feather.

"Gianna... I can imagine what she'd be saying right now if she were here."

I smile at the thought of her words, how confidently she spoke looking at everyone.

She held my hand behind the podium, and gently squeezed it whenever she heard uncertainty in my words.

My hand feels her grip, the warmth, her support and motivation without any words.

"She cared about this... she really did. I... want to make sure I take care of this for her. It's the least I can do now that... she's gone."

A tear falls onto the podium, I feel as it travels down my cheek and leaves my face.

"I know that this is what she'd want. I know she's proud right now."

She reappears in front of me, and she's crying too.

Smiling, she nods.

God... how is she still smiling.

"I will never let her down. She was an amazing person. God- that's the least she was. Any... positive words... they're not good enough to describe her."

"She put a lot of dedication and faced hardships for these events to take place. She did it for the ones who would benefit. The heart she had put gold to shame..."

She's just staring at me... with that smile of hers.

Her lips read, "I'm proud of you."

God. We were suppose to do this together.

"I just want everyone to never forget her. To never forget the soul that was as beautiful and stunning as hers, her heart that was just so so striking, and a character that made you feel a way no else could."

I weakly smile as I look up at the crowd, and everyone had a face with sincerity.

I'd say that they feel my pain... but the void in my heart wasn't meant to be felt by anyone else.

"She'd be happy to see everyone here right now. I'm sure she is. She hopes to see everyone who's here today and more people next time... and I'll make sure it happens. Thank you for coming, everyone. We hope you enjoy your evening."

As soon as the applause forms, she disappears without a trace.

Don't leave me again.

I walk off the stage, and I see her waiting down the steps, whispering but laughing, "beat you down the stairs! Even with heels!"

She disappears... again.

The boys pull me into a hug, and the tears are no longer held back and are flooding out.

"Why'd she leave? She w-wasn't suppose to. W-we were suppose to do this together."

I hug whoever I'm hugging tightly, letting the tears come out in catastrophic waves.

The tears don't stop, the void in my heart doesn't heal, the burning feeling that engulfs my body gets stronger.

"It's okay."

They pat my back, comforting me but nothing was taking away an ounce of pain or grief.

"You did good up there, Zach. She's proud of you."

"I k-know... she told me."

/

I sit on the pavement with Quarter in my lap.

It was late at night, all the stars were out and seemed to be brighter.

Gia would've loved this.

Looking down at Quarter, his tongue was sticking out and was panting since we were playing fetch for awhile.

I knew he was tired when he gave up to retrieve the toy Corbyn bought him.

Gia... picked out the perfect dog.

Knowing that Quarter met her... brings me some peace.

We look at the stars, and I smile as he seems to be staring at the stars with me.

"Quarter... would you believe me if the story of how your mom and I met started with traffic? Let me tell you the story."