Church

(This book is being partially rewritten and heavily edited. The old version will no longer be available. I am slowly going to start working on it because I've had many requests to bring it back, so please be patient, I work... too much.) 

The hooting of an owl echoed in the quiet night as a little boy walked hand-in-hand with his parents. They were strolling through a small trail in Central Park, off the normal cemented paths though it ran almost parallel to them. When the boy looked up his father looked down, waiting for the question he knew was coming.

"Papa, have you ever sawed a demon?"

The young man chuckled and shook his head at his son's odd wording.

"No, Hanna, I haven't."

The boy looked to his mother, but she was already shaking her head with an amused smile.

"No sweetie, I haven't either."

They were quiet for a few minutes until a loud screech of surprise came from the previously calm owl. The family turned at the sound, hands breaking contact with each other to be able to change direction quickly.

"What was that?" the boy's father asked in a hushed voice. There weren't many things that could kill an owl in the area, or really want to risk an attack from its claws or talons. So, when a sound akin to one you might hear from a raptor in those old Jurassic Park movies sounded from one of the trees overhead, the group immediately looked up.

"What the...?" before his sentence could be finished a large dark object dropped down onto his body from above, audibly crushing bones with a screeching roar. The little boy's mother began shaking as the black creature started to tear her husband apart. 

It looked like a cross between a giant wolf and a velociraptor. Its front legs thin and slightly overextended, while the back ones looked strong and made to allow for the creature to jump with ease. Its head, though, was not comparable to much of anything. It looked as if a wolf's muzzle had been stretched and pulled while its teeth resembled more or less an alligator's. The last odd characteristic besides the lack of a tail, was the fact that it looked as if the creature had no eyes.

"Hanna, run!" The mother whispered as she pushed her son away. The little boy stumbled but his eyes were still on what remained of his father. The demon was swallowing pieces whole. 

"Daddy?" 

The demon turned towards him and shrieked, snapping the child back to the present.

"Run!" His mother gave him another hard shove, and this time, with a great amount of hesitation, the little boy took off through the dense forest. The scream of his mother spurred him on faster, but he soon heard the heavy thuds of the creature's feet as it began to catch up. He pushed as hard as he could, squeezing his eyes shut for only a second before he slammed into something solid that knocked the breath from his straining lungs. He slid down the object and fell into the leaf litter, stunned and shaking. There was no way he could escape now. He would die, too, just like his parents.

The sound of the creature skidding to a halt in the dry leaves made the child whimper and curl in on himself, but as the demon that had come after him roared, it was interrupted by a much deeper sound from right above him. Hanna realized that there were two now, but when he opened his eyes and looked up, he saw something that surprised him.

The thing he had run into was the creature that had attacked the owl, as the bird's carcass lay only a foot away, half eaten. Now, however, the demon was standing over him, its body incredibly large compared to the other. He watched silently as the two had a yelling match, but the smaller demon was quick to back down, then retreat.