Behave

(The song that inspired this book a long time ago) 

Michael heard the other two walking around come morning, but he couldn't bring himself to open his eyes. He was sure that Church knew he was awake, since he'd shifted a few times to get more comfortable, but he didn't seem to care either way. Him and Hanna were in the kitchen, judging from the sound of their feet against the tile.

"Hold it tightly, Hanna. You don't want to get an ow, do you?"

"No!"

"Good boy, now let's cut..."

There was an almost-mute cutting sound as they sliced something on the plastic cutting-board he'd left by the sink the night before.

"Good job. You have the ants?"

"Yesh!"

There was a deep chuckle from Church but Michael's mind was a bit side-tracked.

Ants?

"Alright, put them on."

"Perfect. Yeah, you can eat that one."

Don't let him eat ants!

"Okay, will you go set it on the table by the sofa please, Hanna?"

"Okay Chesh!"

"Shh, it's not nice to wake up friends while they sleep."

Hanna gave a quiet yip in response, then the sound of feet running first on the tiled kitchen floor, then the carpet, reached Michael's ears. A moment later he heard a plate being set down on the coffee table, ceramic tapping the glass surface.

"Alright, come here Hanna. We need to get back to our apartment and get cleaned up before work."

The little footsteps quickly made their way toward the front door. Michael could hear Church grunt a tiny bit as he likely leaned over and scooped the boy up, then the door opened and closed, telling Michael that he was now alone. 

Wait a second... oh crap. Work! 

He sat up abruptly, his head spinning from the sudden movement. His eyes blurred for a moment before he could see what Hanna had left on the table near his legs.

"Ah, that's what they meant."

On the messy white plate was a banana, cut in half, with peanut butter and raisins sprinkled all over it. Most of the raisins missed and were scattered about the plate, but it was still absolutely adorable that Hanna had made it for him. He'd seen a similar snack made with celery, but the banana seemed like a great idea for kids. 

Taking the ants on a log, he ate it on his way to the bathroom. Once he had the water running nice and warm, the food was gone and he was able to get undressed to shower. Michael wanted to make it to work a little bit before Church so that he could take Hanna right away, allowing Church to take care of the meetings he needed to get done. Sure, he still didn't trust him with Hanna and would eventually have to do something about them, but he also needed the money just a little bit more. Especially since he was about to get kicked out of his place for not paying enough of the rent. Besides, Church wasn't hurting the boy... but he was murdering other people. Killing was killing, and God said very clearly that thou shall not kill

Finishing up his shower, he got himself dressed in his only decent suit and headed out. The drive was a bit trying since the traffic was getting bad, though that couldn't be helped. Going downtown always took awhile. Thankfully, by the time he ran up to the office Michael noticed that Church's door was still locked.