When Your Heart Hurts

"Chesh?"

Hearing Hanna's worried voice made Church want to get up, but dammit all if he wasn't hurting like hell. After a few tries he sighed and turned his aching head toward the door and forced his eyes to open.

"Hey there, little monkey."

Hanna smiled, making Church's chest twitch from something he had begun feeling ever since he'd taken him home that night months ago. It didn't hurt, per-say, but it was... uncomfortable.

"Come say hi to Chesh?" he whispered before closing his eyes for a big yawn. When he opened them back up there was a chubby puppy being pushed up onto his bed by its bum, and it already looked half asleep, per usual.

"I don't want that fluffy poo-bag up here, Hanna."

The little boy pursed his lips and began pouting.

Every time. 

"Fine, but if it pees up here you're doing the laundry," Church groaned, scooting over slowly so that Hanna could finish shoving the annoying thing onto his bed. He obviously had no idea what laundry was, but it made Church feel better saying it, at least. 

Hanna quickly climbed up once the dog was shoved against Church's left shoulder. He snuggled against him, using the puppy as a makeshift pillow, then lifted his big bright eyes up to meet his.

"Chesh is okay? Righ'?" he mumbled as he tried to hug him. Church winced, but thankfully Hanna didn't catch it. 

"Just a little hurt, Hanna. I'll be better soon." 

Giving the boy a small smile, Church gently tugged him into his lap after scooting up a bit against the pillows. It took a minute since he needed to be sure that the blanket didn't slip and show off his newly acquired burns, but he quickly realized there was one he had forgotten to hide when Hanna gasped.

Soft, tiny fingers ran over the cross along his neck and then the sound of sniffling quickly followed.

"I'm fine, Hanna."

"Chesh is hurted!"

The kid started crying immediately, making Church wince. 

"Michael!" Church shouted toward the door, praying that he was there. Thankfully, it opened a moment later. Michael frowned when he saw Hanna bawling against him.

"How do I stop it?" Church pleaded, not used to crying. The kid pouted like no other, but tears were rare and unwanted. 

Michael's brows rose, then he grinned, making Church want to growl.

"What?" he hissed quietly, glaring daggers at the priest as he walked over and leaned down. Since it looked like he wanted to whisper something to him, Church tilted his head and leaned closer.

"Wrap your arms around him in a hug, then rub your hand over his back gently and whisper that you'll be okay and that he doesn't have to worry."

Why the hell would that matter to a kid who hardly understands anything yet? 

Michael leaned back and grinned, making Church sigh and look down at Hanna.

This isn't going to work... I already told him that I would be fine but he ignored me. 

After rolling his eyes, Church let his arms awkwardly wrap around Hanna's little body, left hand rubbing up and down his back soothingly as he whispered into his hair. 

"I'll be fine, don't worry. Chesh is strong, right Hanna?" 

 He gave a shaky nod and finally quieted enough to allow Church's headache a chance to calm a little.