Only You Can Change Your Life

"Hello?"

The dispatcher on the other end of the phone paused for a second, not having even been able to get out her normal; this is 911 emergency, how may I help you? drill. He wasn't in the mood to wait, so Church had spoken before her. And since she wasn't continuing as quickly as he'd like, he spoke again. 

"I need you to connect me to the downtown police department, head officer, if he is available."

She stuttered for a moment before finally finding her voice. 

"Sir, I can help you."

"No. You can't. Get me the officer or I will kill you."

That made her much easier to manage. "Yes sir," she replied and, without a moment's hesitation, connected him to the other department. He heard the phone ringing and counted the seconds as his eyes looked around the busying street. The storm kicked back up and died down while he'd taken time to go through his plan, so now the snow plows were getting to work so that stranded vehicles could be freed and others could get to work. The local department likely had trackers on all of their pay phones, so he didn't want to stay in his current spot for more than a few minutes.

"Hello?"

Hearing the familiar officer's voice from when they'd questioned him back at the precinct, Church smirked and hurriedly told him what he needed. 

"My name is Church, and you know the rest. I want answers and I want them in the next two minutes. First, who attacked my dog?"

He waited for two seconds before he growled into the receiver, getting the first answer he wanted.

"Demons came and took him from an officer who had carried him out of the building with the intent to take him home until a new one was found."

Nodding, Church ran his fingers through his hair with his free hand and sighed.

"Okay. So, next question. I want my freedom. What do I have to do to ensure I get it?"

He could hear the man try to muffle a laugh, but he didn't care. It was hilarious that a demon would ask for such a thing, especially one who was technically free at the moment.

"You can't think that I would be able to do that, especially after you killed a man recently. I'm sure there were others, too."

Rolling his eyes, Church ground his teeth together and reigned in his temper, knowing that he was going to need to run any second now. 

"Yes, I killed him, because he burned my priest. The others were only to keep the hoards of demons from going insane, but I'm tired of it. I want my freedom and I want my family to not have to be put through this." 

The man laughed again and Church wanted to rip his throat out. Happy thoughts. He told himself as he heard the plastic casing on the phone begin to splinter in his hand. 

"You called to tell me a demon has fallen in love with a priest and wants to raise the little boy he stole after his demons killed the child's parents?"

"Yes," Church said without an ounce of hesitation, which immediately shut the officer up from sheer surprise. "Tell me officer, how many demon attacks have occurred since I left your compound?" Silence took over the line and Church let his grim smirk return.

"I want my freedom, and in return I will take care of any demonic issues."

The officer grunted on the other end. "So you mean to tell me you'll be the peacekeeper between demons and humans for your own freedom?"

That had Church laughing, though it sounded much harsher than he had intended.

"No. I will kill them. Most demons in this city cannot be reasoned with. I thought that killing was the only way to sate them, but then they wanted more, bigger game. Eventually it lead to humans, but I am tired. I just want away from it all, but I know that can't happen. So, I give you my offer. Think it over, and I will see you tonight."