It's the little things

The late October air was crisp, the leaves had begun to turn orange and fall to the ground. Oliver was on the front porch hanging a fall wreath on the door. The house was being prepared for Oliver's birthday celebration. Elio was out picking up the cake, food, and drinks. While Arty and Michael were in the backyard putting up decorations.

"Oliver, did Elio say specifically where he wanted the tables?" Arty asked poking his head out of the study window.

"No just set them where you think is best."

"Got it!" Arty ducked back into the house. Oliver heard Elio pull up in the truck, Elio insisted he on taking his BMW but when he realized only the cake would fit into the car he changed his mind. He rushed down the steps to help. Elio got out of the truck smiling.

"What are you up too?" Oliver asks giving Elio a kiss.

"What do you mean? I've just been to the bakers, grocery, and the party store." Elio walked around to the side of the truck he opened it and was assaulted by grey balloons that had tombstones on them.

"You know you're not funny." Oliver huffed pointing at the balloons.

"I'm fucking hysterical. Just wait until you turn 50 next year, you are going to really think I'm funny." Elio laughed.

"You wouldn't."

"Oh but I will. It's payback for my 40th birthday party when there were 40 cows in our backyard and a massive sign in the front saying Lordy Lordy Elio's turning 40! It's on baby!"

"Hey in my defense that was the boy's idea."

"You can't hide behind them for that, they've already ratted you out, my dear."

"Damn!"

They hauled everything into the house. The house phone rang and Elio rushed in to get it. They had already gotten RSVP's from about seventy people, the house was going to be full.

"Who was that?" Oliver asked as Elio walked out of the house.

"That was Christopher, he's about 10 minutes away." Elio smiled.

"He's coming awfully early."

"Not really, he said he wanted to come and help set up before everyone else had your attention."

"Well, at least one of my son's will be here. I tried calling Jona and he didn't answer. He's not even called me yet today. You don't think he forgot to do you?" Oliver pouted a little.

"No, he and Lea are busy. They have a baby on the was and Jona is also busy with school. He will call dear don't worry." Elio said lovingly.

The backyard was nearly done when Christopher popped his head out of the back door.

"HAPPY 49th BIRTHDAY POPS!" Chris yelled out with a gift in hand and his arms in the air. Oliver turned and greeted Chris with a smile.

"Hey, buddy!" Oliver gave him a hug. "You know there is no reason to throw my age in there a simple happy birthday would have sufficed." Oliver laughed.

"Yeah, but it would have been as fun. Plus I really wanted to see your face when I gave you this." Chris stepped aside as Annella, David, Mini, Jude, Jona and a very pregnant Lea walked out of the house. Oliver was speechless and overwhelmed. All he would do was hug everyone.

"David? Well, I'm not going to ask just yet what's going. But I'm just happy to see you again." Oliver gave David the biggest hug. "And who is this gorgeous little one?"

"This is Vimini but we call her Mini."

"Hi." She waves at Oliver.

"Vimini?" Oliver held back his tears.