Ch. 4

Ch. 4

Arlen

I blinked stupidly as I stared at the small screen in front of my eyes.

Status

Name: Arlen   

Class: Caster

Level: 1 

HP: 4000/4000 

MP: 1300/1300 

STR: 100

DEX: 100

AGI: 100

INT: 400

 VIT: 100

"What is this?" I whispered as I poked at the screen, only for my finger to pass through it.

Helen sighed as she sat next to me on the couch. After leaving the forest, Helen directed me to her apartment. Since I was homeless and didn't have any money, she had kindly allowed me to stay with her. It was small and petty plain, but it was nice and cozy.

"This is your status screen; it's also a means for identification. Your status screen shows how strong you are and what your class is." Helen explained as she handed me a bowl of what looked to be ramen. Thanking her, I picked up the fork and took a nice big bite. After today, I was hungry and was grateful for the food.

"Can I see yours?" I asked.

With a nod, Helen pulled up her status screen and I looked over the information. Helen was an archer, and had an impressive level of eighty seven. Her dexterity was very high, as well as her health points. She had some magic points for some of her special skills, but since she wasn't a mage, she didn't have a lot.

"Did you increase your level by fighting monsters like the one at the river?" I asked.

Helen swallowed her food before saying, "Yes, and I accept quests from the adventurer's hall."

"The adventurer's hall?" I inquired.

Helen nodded, "There, you can find party members and accept quests. It's also a pub where people eat, drink, and gets to know each other."

My eyes widened, "Really?"

Helen smiled and nodded.

"It's a nice place, I can take you there tomorrow, and we can also accept some quests, so you can level up and develop some skills."

I nodded, excited for the adventure that awaited me tomorrow.

Since Helen was in a talking mood, I decided to ask some more questions.

"I know caster deal with magic, but can you tell me what they're known for?"

Setting my empty bowl on the table in front of us, I turned to Helen as a thoughtful expression crossed her features.

"Well, from experience, I know that casters defy natural physics. They can conjure up all the elements and make and learn spells. The ones I've met are extremely powerful and also sort of rare. They are highly sought after by guilds. That ring of yours is equivalent to a staff. I don't know what it is exactly, but I know that it is a type of equipment that grows with the user. If you are level one, the ring is level one and so on. It has the potential to become very powerful, so keep it close." I nodded and turned to look at the bowl in front of me.

Since Helen explained to me that Casters manipulated the elements and defied physics, I was suddenly feeling very curious.

"So, say that I was in a desert without any water or food, could I possibly conjure up some water? Or grow a fruit tree?"

Helen nodded, "Yes, the elements will always obey a caster."

"How about now?" I hummed.

Helen narrowed her eyes before nodding slowly.

"As long as you have some magic points, the elements will always obey you."

A grin slowly spread across my face and Helen leaned back, staring at me suspiciously. Holding out my hand, I stared at the space above my hand and pictured a small flame. Although I was in another world, I still didn't believe in magic despite seeing my status screen. I came from a world without magic, so I would remain skeptical until I saw it myself.

I watched in amazement as a small flame hovered above my hand. With a large grin, I turned to Helen. She smiled softly before blowing out the flame. I pouted as she laughed at me. Standing up, Helen stretched before walking over to her hallway closet and pulling out a blanket and a pillow. She handed them both to me.

"Thanks."

She nodded, "This is a one bedroom, so, unfortunately, you will have to sleep here until further notice."

With a nod, I placed my pillow against the arm of the couch and set up my sleeping space before standing up and heading to the bathroom. Reading my mind, Helen gave me a new bar of soap, some toothpaste and other necessities that I would need.

Nodding at Helen, I entered the bedroom as she made her bedroom. Upon inspection, I was more than happy to see that the bathroom was similar to the ones from where I came from. The only difference was that the tub was made of stone and there wasn't a showerhead. It was also very wide and deep, and I was excited to use it. Stripping down, I inspected my new self. I didn't have much time to notice before, but I was very small. I was lean and very short. My hair reached down to my waist and my skin was very, very white.

With a shrug, I made my way to the tub and stepped inside, looking. There were two knobs and that was it. I looked around in confusion, wondering just where the water was going to come from. Squatting down, I inspected the knobs and saw a temperature gauge next to the both of them. With a hum, I grabbed the left knob and turned it to the desired temperature. I flinched and gasped as warm water assaulted my body from above.

Placing my hand over my rapidly beating heart, I realized that the top of the large stone tub was actually a large shower head. Within seconds, I was drenched. Lathering up my towel, I washed myself thoroughly and turned off the tub when I was done. After drying myself off, slipping into the large shirt Helen had supplied for me along with a pair of pajama pants and drying my hair up, I brushed my teeth and made my way back to my couch. Since the apartment was already dark, I settled onto the couch and was out within seconds.

_Gieo_