Ch. 38

Ch. 38

Arlen

Thanks to Lord Griffin, we were allowed entrance into the city. Once inside, it became clear that the people of Slade were suffering. One look and I could tell that they were all extremely malnourished. Because of the weather, they were unable to grow food and the barrier could only stretch so far, limiting the room they had to plant new crops. There was no meat since all of the animals were dead; the only thing they had an abundance of was water. The Lord didn't seem to be having any problems. He was well fed and didn't seem to want for anything.

Despite the state of the people, Slade was very beautiful. The sidewalks were made out of the scales of dragons, as well as some of the buildings. I had never seen anything like it. They were all painted white, matching the colors of the buildings. Some of the buildings were made out of bones that had been brushed smooth. The bones from dragons were extremely strong and never rotted, same with the scales. Other buildings were made of stone and wood. I had never seen dragon remains used in such a way, it was extremely unique.

I felt myself growing a bit nervous as I noticed the hopeful stares from the people. They were expecting us to save them, and I could feel the pressure rising. The Lord led us to a carriage. Without even considering us, he got inside and took off. I summoned my chair and allowed my guildmates to ride before following him. About half an hour later, we reach a large mansion located directly in the middle of the city. A large, stone wall surrounded the place, protecting the Lord and shielding his property from any curious eyes.

As we approached the gate, Griffin opened the carriage and alerted the guards that we were with him and to be allowed entrance. They dropped down onto their knees, placing their hands over their chests.

"Yes, my Lord," they said simultaneously.

Standing up, they jogged over to the gate and pulled it open, allowing us entrance. I floated above the carriage to get a better look at the place. Lord Griffin had a massive yard that was perfectly manicured. I floated down the dragon scale sidewalk, taking in the sights. I immediately noticed a garden to my left. It was against the wall and the fruits and vegetables planted there were in full bloom. It became blatantly obvious that the Lord was expecting this, because if he wasn't, his plants wouldn't be in full bloom. But then again, he could have planted them earlier without any idea what was coming, but it seemed a bit too convenient for me.

"What a nice garden," Seth commented. I nodded in agreement.

"I find it strange he has a blossoming garden," Riza commented. We all glanced at her as she glared at the garden as if it was the one who killed her family. I blew out a nervous breath and continued to follow the carriage. When we reached his large mansion, I sat us all down and stood with my hands on my hips, staring up at his massive home.

Just like some of the buildings, the mansion was built using dragon bones. From far away, it looked like wood and stone, but as you got closer, you could see that it was indeed made out of dragon bones, the strongest material this island had to offer. Despite my dislike for the overweight Lord Griffin, I had to admit, his home was extremely beautiful. It was a tall, three-story mansion that had wrap around balconies on each level, beautiful pillars supported them. Similar to some of the buildings in the city, his mansion was a blinding white, so white it was almost painful to look at. It was as if I was staring up at the sun.

The inside of the mansion was just as white, but not as painful to look at. Maids scurried towards us, all of them lining up on either side of the door and getting down on one knee. I couldn't help but notice the way they were dressed. There were only women from what I could see, and they were all dressed in short, tight dresses, so tight it looked as if they had trouble breathing. These dresses left nothing to the imagination. Their breasts were practically spilling out as well as their bottoms. They also sported six-inch black stilettos.