Ch. 28

Ch. 28

Arlen

Twenty silver coins, all that seafood cost me twenty silver. In total, all of the food I bought cost me one gold and twenty silvers. I could barely contain my excitement as I raced back towards the ship. My storage was bursting with food and I was trembling with excitement as the thought of eating it all. With minutes to spare, the four of us made it back to the group.

"You said you wouldn't be long," Gabriel huffed as he glared at me. I crossed my arms and looked away.

"It wasn't that long, I counted!" I lied as I scurried past him, "Besides, I got a lot of food, I'll share with you!"

With a roll of his eyes, he turned towards the rest of the guild.

"Let's go."

I turned towards the ship, frowning when I saw a long ramp just waiting to be climbed. The ship was massive and was the only black thing at the docks. I hadn't noticed it before, but literally, everyone was looking at us and whispering. Of course, wearing all black and boarding a ship that looked like it was summoned from the underworld, we were bound to attract attention. All of us stuck out like a sore thumb, and that's not even mentioning the fact that we have a member of the royal family accompanying us. Since Landon made the sudden decision to join us, he wasn't dressed like a commoner; he was decked out in his full royal attire, drawing even more attention. It probably wasn't a good idea for me to go grocery shopping.

Since I didn't feel like climbing that horrid ramp, I summoned my chair and flew onto the deck of the ship. I showed my guild pin to the captain of the ship and he nodded, not even bothering to greet me. I slowly walked around the deck of the ship, staring out at the ocean. I slowly made my way over to one of the beach chairs and sat down. For some reason, I was growing nervous again. Perhaps it was me finally leaving the country, or perhaps it was because I knew that I would have to face Landon. I sighed loudly at the thought; I didn't want anything to do with him, but I wouldn't be able to avoid him forever.

It didn't take long for the rest of the guild members and Landon to load the boat. Workers down at the bottom removed the ramp and we were soon rising out of the water. Unable to help myself, I walked over to the railing and stared down into the water. I grinned as the large vessel slowly lifted into the air. Water trickled off the bottom off the ship and landed back into the water. I smiled in delight, this was really happening! Soon, we were high into the air, and the city below looked like black dots. The view of the land below was beautiful and for a moment, I was distracted.

I flinched as I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I looked up, my blood running cold when I saw Landon smiling sheepishly down at me. I released an irritated breath and turned away from him, glaring down at the water below.

My whole mood shifted. It was as if I was back at the beach with Landon, listening as he repeated those words from that day.

"What do you want?" I snapped as I slapped his hand off of my shoulder. I turned towards him, glaring. He rubbed his hand and stared down at his feet. If he was about to speak, I didn't let him.

"Why are you here, Landon? After what happened back at the beach, I thought I made it clear that I never wanted to see you again. I've tried so hard to forget what happened that day and what you did, so why?"

Landon's face turned red as he quickly glanced at the audience we'd attracted. If he didn't want the attention, he should have picked a better time to talk to me. 

"Because I want to apologize," Landon answered as he played with his gloves, "I wanted you to know that what I said to you was wrong, and I've been regretting it since you left. I didn't mean any of it."