Ch. 25

Ch. 25

Arlen

I had no idea I'd accumulated so much from the forest. The dining room floor was practically filled with high-level equipment from the many dead zombies, and most disgustingly, the heart of the undead king. It was big, as big as the dining tables that we ate at. It also towered over everyone in the room, with the exception of Emry and Riddick.

"Oh man!" Seth cried, "Is that the heart of the Undead King?!"

I grimaced as I poked the red organ. I had forgotten I'd taken the organ as a trophy. Since it was no longer in the body it kept alive, it'd hardened, and looked like a giant red ruby.

"Yes," I confirmed, "After killing him, I wasn't really thinking clearly and took his heart as a trophy."

"Impressive," Gabriel chuckled as he rubbed his hand over the organ.

"You know, with all this equipment, you could sell it and make a fortune. All this would cost at least three white gold coins, three hundred gold. That's enough to buy a house and some land."

I gasped in shock. I had no idea I had a fortune sitting in my storage. I knew immediately that I wanted to send some items to Casper and Helen. It would be a good way to pay her back for taking care of me, and a way to pay Casper back for protecting me on my first adventure and being one of my best friends.

"I'll pay you fifteen gold for a piece of it!" Seth begged as he clasped my hand in his, "A big piece too! Do you have any idea what kind of poisons I could make with such material! Please consider my offer! Please! Please!"

With a sigh, I placed the items back in my storage.

"Okay," I agreed, "But first, let me look through the items and decide what I want. Afterward, I'll let you guys look through the rest. I'll sell anything that isn't wanted or needed by you guys."

It would take me a while to go through all the items I'd gotten and I really was looking forward to it. I was excited to see what items I'd gotten and what I could use. It was probably wrong to use the items since the owners were dead, but here in this world, such things didn't matter. I wanted to send Casper a sword and some equipment, same with Helen. There were also some items I was more than sure would be really useful to me.

"Okay!" Seth squealed excitedly, "Thank you so much!"

I returned back to the table where I finished my food. Helen was always so adamant about not wasting food, so I made sure to pack everything away. I patted my tummy as one of the lunch ladies grabbed my dirty dishes and scurried back to the kitchen. I wasn't used to anyone cleaning up after me, and wondered if I would be able to wash my own dishes after today.

I yelped as Seth suddenly grabbed my arm and yanked me out of my seat. I practically flew behind him as he raced out of the dining room and through the hallways.

"Where are we going?!" I cried, but Seth only kept running.

Soon though, we stopped in front of a black door. Seth pushed open the door and pulled me inside of what I assumed to be his room. I was expecting a room similar to mine, but as soon as I entered and looked around, it quickly became apparent that it was not a room at all. It was a lab. There were tables everywhere filled with equipment I'd never seen before and beakers filled with liquids. Along the walls were shelves filled with what I knew were poisons and boxes of multiple sizes containing what I assumed to be more materials. There was even a small area containing soil and little plants.

"Wow," I whispered as I took in my surroundings. This lab was truly impressive.

"Welcome to my lab!" Seth cheered as he spun around, gesturing to his room. His tail that I hadn't noticed before swished excitedly as he stared at me. I laughed and shrugged, not really knowing what to say. I didn't know the first thing about poisons.

"Where do you sleep?" I asked. With a grin, he pointed to a door which led to another room. Like the first one, it was filled with poisons and tables containing equipment, but in one of the corners in the room was a small pallet. I shook my head. He'd gotten rid of his bed just so he could have more room for his equipment.

"I see," I laughed, "So, why did you bring me here?"

Seth practically exploded with excitement. From his excited rambles, I was able to work out that he wanted to show me a new poison he'd been working on. I was a bit surprised to learn that all of his poisons that lined the walls had a different effect on the body. There was one that even made you grow fur and some poisons that even cured illnesses, which I found strange that he still opted to call it poison when it had no negative effect on the body.

"Since we are going to the Land of the Dragons, I wanted to make a new poison for the occasion. We're most likely going to be dealing with some poachers, so I want to make them suffer as much as possible without killing them. That is if Gabriel allows it. He always goes on about how I go too far, but I don't think so! It's important research!"

Seth moved expertly around his lab, not even looking where he was going because he knew where everything was located in his room by heart. I stayed by the door, too afraid to enter in case that I knock over something.

He reached into his storage and pulled out a coin pouch. He handed it to me, practically beaming with excitement and joy. I wasn't sure that I wanted to learn what kind of mixture he would make with the dead organ. Taking the coin pouch, I placed it safely inside of my storage and removed a large piece of the organ for Seth. He laughed manically as he held the hardened organ in his hands.

"Yes!" he hissed.

He grabbed a knife and started cutting the material into small pieces. The organ was extremely hard, like a diamond, so I was a bit surprised that the knife cut through the organ like butter.

I slowly maneuvered my way through the tables and over to his pallet where I sat down. I watched him as he worked, surprised when his entire demeanor changed. The goofy, rambling Seth disappeared and was replaced by a Seth with a stern and almost scary face. He was quiet; the only noise in the room being the whirring of his many machines and the clinking of glasses. It was a bit soothing.

I didn't know what he was doing, but he was interesting to watch. He worked extremely fast, and I was impressed that he didn't mess anything up, but then again, he was an expert. I was quite sure Seth very rarely made a mistake when it came to his craft. I didn't see or know the ingredients he used, but I saw when he used a piece of the materials I'd provided him with. Immediately, the liquid started to glow red. Seth backed away and joined me on the pallet.

"So, what is that poison going to do?" I asked.

Seth answered almost immediately, "I decided not to make anything deadly until I understood how the organ would work in poisons, but that poison there will make whoever is unlucky to come in contact with it stink. No matter how much they bathe, the stench won't go away until your body naturally flushes out the poison. That one is a temporary one, meaning that your body will eventually flush it out, but I want to make one that makes you smell like death permanently! I'll use it on the poachers!"

I turned to Seth, "How do you know that its poachers that are disturbing the dragons?"

He rolled his eyes, "Despite the warnings and laws, people still find dragons irresistible. One dragon can make a person about fifteen white gold coins. That's enough to live comfortably and never have to work again. There are lots of people looking to get rich quick. It's a shame. They're willing to risk war all for money."

I frowned and decided to steer the conversation back to a lighter topic. Once more, Seth decided to teach me all he knew about his poisons.

Seth looked like a madman as he spoke about the plan he had got his new materials, and I made a mental note to stay on his good side. The last thing I wanted was to be one of the victims of his many poisons.

I yawned sleepily. It was late at night and now I was being forced to sit through Seth's experiment.

"So what are we waiting on?" I mumbled as I laid down on the pallet. I was sleepy, and Seth's pallet was very comfortable.

"We're waiting for it to get brighter," he mumbled. He started to talk again, but I was well on my way to sleep.

_Gieo_