Ch. 30

Ch. 30

Arlen

Three days, we'd been on this ship for three days and I was more than ready to reach the Land of Dragons. Avoiding Landon had become troublesome and I was ready to walk on some ground. Being on the airship was fun, but it got old after a while.

I sat on one of the many couches on the deck, wrapped up in a blanket since the nights were cold. I didn't feel like being in my room, so the deck was the next best place. It was late, really late and just about everyone was asleep, so it was good and quiet.

"I see you can't sleep either."

I sighed sadly. I was just starting to enjoy being out all by myself, why did he have to come and ruin it. Since he'd joined us, Landon had become like a mosquito. Every time I found myself alone, he'd pop up and annoy the shit out of me. I'd doused this prince in mud more than twenty times already.

"What do you want?" I asked.

I didn't look at him; I didn't want to see his stupidly handsome face. Landon, avoiding my obvious hostility, sat down on the beach chair next to me and covered himself with a blanket of his own. I sighed again. Landon had been a broken record since he got on this ship. He a kept apologizing over and over again. It hurt to hear because I wasn't sure whether he was telling the truth or not. He had burned me once before, and if I fell for it again, I would be a complete fool.

"It's nice out tonight," Landon murmured.

I narrowed my eyes as I sent him a suspicious glance. My face heated up when I found him already looking at me. I scoffed and looked away.

"What do you want?" I repeated.

Landon sighed and sat up, turning to face me. I stiffened as I looked back at him. He had a serious look on his face, which turned me on and scared me. What was he doing this time? What's with that look? I would soon know the answers to these questions.

"I decided that today, I would be completely honest with you. I need to get this off my chest and I really, really want you to hear me out, please Arlen."

My heart clenched fearfully in my chest. I didn't like where this was going. Even though I'd been telling myself not to accept any apologies from him and to not forgive him, I'd subconsciously started to. Despite my terrible attitude, Landon had taken everything I'd thrown at him. He'd been nice and patient; I couldn't help but notice the effort he was putting into getting me to forgive him.

Taking a deep breath, I sat up and turned towards him. I was totally unprepared for what came next.

I furrowed my eyebrows as Landon suddenly became nervous. His nervousness made me even more nervous. Just what is he planning?!

"I just," he paused, taking a deep breath before grabbing my hands and clasping them tightly in his. I shivered at their warmth. He stared straight into my eyes with such intensity I felt as if they were staring right into my soul. My heart was beating a mile a minute as I tried to process just what was happening.

"I'm in love with you, Arlen!" he practically yelled. My heart stopped in my chest. My eyes widened in shock and I started to shake my head in denial. No. No way! He was lying! This was just another tactic of his, it had to be! I went to pull my hands out of his, but he held on, not letting me go.