Ch. 13

Ch. 13

Arlen

Helen stared at my friend list, shaking her head in complete disbelief.

"I sent you out for groceries," she laughed incredulously, "And you manage to come back with a member of the royal family as one of your friends."

She turned to look at me, still shaking her head. Shrugging my shoulders, I flipped my hair and smiled cutely.

"I guess I'm just that irresistible!"

Helen rolled her eyes, "Not even."

I stuck out my tongue at her and sank back into her comfortable couch.

"You know," Helen started, "You should really consider joining a guild."

I stretched out and lazily propped my head up using my hand.

"Why?" I asked, "Is joining a guild really all that important?"

I watched as Helen walked into the kitchen.

"No, but almost every adventurer is in one. I'm in one and so is Casper. I'm telling you to join a guild because there are guild quests that give the members lots of experience points and pays really well. You, being a level forty Caster need to level up. It is also a good way to make friends, that way you won't be forced to hang around me and Casper all day long."

I remained quiet as I thought it over in my head. I did want to level up as much as I possibly could, and I did want to meet some other Casters.

"Like I said before," Helen said, "Casters are sought after by a lot of guilds, so you have the choice to join any guild you want, that's the privilege you Casters have. Just think of how much you could learn if you met another Caster who was willing to teach you everything they knew?"

The more Helen spoke about joining guilds, the more appealing the idea sounded, and if Helen was correct about us Casters being able to pick whatever guild we wanted, then I could join the best guild in the country, and if I saved up enough, I could get my own place. Getting my own place sounded cool and all, but I wasn't ready to be on my own yet, but I knew I couldn't keep being a burden to Helen. She's doing so much for me and all I do is laze around.

"Okay, how do I join a guild?" I asked.

"The Guild Hall is located on the other side of the city; I'll take you tomorrow. Also, joining any guild will cost fifty silvers. Quite a hefty price, but for all it offers, it's worth it," Helen explained.

I winced. Fifty silvers was about all I had in total, and I was hoping to buy a bunch of snacks with some of it. Guess that's a bust.

_*_*_*_*_

The Guild Hall was indeed located far away from where Helen and I resided. Since all I had was the amount needed to join a guild, Helen, being the angel that she was, paid for my air train fare. The air train was exactly what it sounded like. Instead of trailing along rails, this train flew through the sky from stop to stop. It was quite exciting to ride one for the first time.

Since I was going to join a guild, Helen made sure to put a lot of effort into my appearance. Even though I had bought new clothes recently, dressing casually wasn't appropriate when you were going to join a guild. According to her, you had to look your very best, so yesterday; Helen spent quite a lot buying me a formal robe worn by Casters, something I was immensely grateful for. The robe was long sleeved and fell to my knees. It was black with silver stitching and a zipper that Helen suggested that I leave unzipped. Underneath, I wore a gray shirt that I had tucked into black form-fitting dress pants that were securely fastened with a black belt. I even had on a black bowtie that was quite uncomfortable, if I do say so myself. The shoes I wore were black as well and were very, very uncomfortable. I much preferred my slippers over these dress shoes.