4. Magpie and Godot reference

"Shouldn't the guy be the one doing this?" Jay asked as he attached the LED lights on Nana's big glass door of the balcony which overlooked the backyard garden.

"This is 21st century, Jay. Whoever has the bigger gut should take the first step. No more waiting for the old-fashioned let-the-guy-make-the-first-move," Nana replied.

"Hit that switch," he said. She complied. The LEDs on the glass door lit up. They formed the words, "I'm deeply in love with you. Can I have your ♡?"

"Wow," Nana said, "It's a wonderful idea. How did you even come up with it?"

"It's something I would have done if I had to confess to the girl I love. Unfortunately, I don't have resources like you. I can't do anything I want."

"Aw, my Jay is so romantic! When you fall in love and need my help to tell the girl that you love her, you can call me. I'll be there. You can count on me. Thank you for setting this thing up for me," she hugged Jay.

"You're welcome, Nana. And thank you for always being there for me," he said hugging her back, and in his mind he said, "I already fell in love long ago, Nana."

That night Nana's father had thrown a dinner party at his mansion. His business partners and friends came with their family. Among them was Tai and his family.

"Jay! I'm here," Nana waved her hand as soon as Jay entered the hall which was full of rich people who were clad in expensive suits and dresses chatting with one another over drinks. Jay strode towards her with a smile wearing a black collar and black pants that he ironed himself.

"Hey," he said and noticed a man next to her. He held a glass of champagne in his left hand and his right was in his pocket.

"Tai, this is my best friend Jay. The one I've been telling you about. And Jay, this is Tai. He is the son of daddy's friend and supplier from Japan," Nana cheerfully introduced them.

"Hi, I've been hearing a lot about you from Nana, Jay," Tai took out his hand from his pocket and extended it to Jay for a shake. Jay grabbed his hand and shook it and Tai's expensive watch jiggled around his wrist.

"Hello, Tai. The fact is, all I've been hearing from Nana ever since I came back is about you," Jay chuckled.

"Really?" Tai said and glanced at Nana. Their eyes locked for a moment and Jay knew that he had no place in between them.

"Um I better go greet uncle and aunt first. Excuse me, Tai and Nana," he said and left them.

Jay got a text from Nana while he was chatting with the latter's father.

"Start mission" she texted.

He excused himself and went quietly to Nana's room. Her room was in dark, just like his life. He stood behind the glass door and watched the garden. There were three lamp posts that lit up the garden path. He saw Nana and Tai walked out of the house. Nana was leading Tai towards the fountain, from where they would get a straight view of her room.