23. Jealous?

'Whose phone is this? I've never seen it before,' Chaeyoung said looking at the phone that was charging in the living room.

'It's not mine. Maybe Momo bought a new phone,' Jeongyeon said and took a closer look at the phone. He was about to pick it up but Momo's shriek made him flinch.

'NO! DON'T TOUCH IT!' she shrieked.

'Why! Why! Why?' Jeongyeon exclaimed.

'Did you turned it on?' Momo hurriedly checked the phone.

'No, why? Does it have a time bomb or something like it would go off if we turn it on?' Chaeyoung said jokingly.

'Something even worse than that,' Momo said. Chaeyoung's grin disappeared.

'What!?'

'It has a tracking chip that gets activated when the phone is turned on. My father would come flying down if it's turned on. He will give us hell if he does,' she explained.

'Why haven't you got rid of it then? Why are you still keeping it?' Chaeyoung demanded to know.

'It's my emergency beacon. I'll use it if I need it. That is why I charge it once in a while to keep the phone working. Even though he is evil, he will surely come save me if I'm in trouble.'

'Doesn't he do that because he is protective? You hold so much grudge against him...' Jeongyeon said. He was about to say more but Momo cut him off.

'Being protective isn't the same as being possessive, Jeongyeon. Being protective involves love. My father is mean, egoistic, greedy and self centered. He is only being possessive. He thinks the universe revolves around him. His wife, his children are all things he possesses. He doesn't give a damn otherwise.'

Her voice was a notch louder than how she usually spoke. Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon knew that the latter had talked about something sensitive.

'I'll be back,' Chaeyoung said and left the two alone.

'I didn't mean to upset you. I'm sorry,' Jeongyeon said and held Momo's hand. He rubbed his thumb on the back of her hand.

'It's okay. You don't know my father. He is materialistic and selfish. He can act eccentrically. I... I just dread the day you will meet him... Maybe we should avoid that day. Maybe I should just get rid of this phone.' She then reached her hand out to grab the phone. Jeongyeon intercepted by grabbing her arm and pulling her into a hug.

'Let it be. You've been keeping it all this time. Just keep it,' he said. He thought that it must mean something to her since she had been keeping it with her. Even if she denied it, deep down she must have cared for her father otherwise she wouldn't be upset talking about him. She was his flesh and blood after all.

'I kept it because I was scared, I was alone. I'm not scared anymore. I have you. Now you will protect me,' she said.

'That's right,' he said smiling.

'I love you,' she said.

'I love you more,' he said and kissed her head.

'No, I love you more.'

'I disagree. I love you more.'