24. Momo's Jeongyeon

'I told you, mom. I can't come home right now.'

Momo was applying nail polish in the living room. She looked up to Chaeyoung who was talking to his phone.

'I'm working diligently, mom. I can't take my days off. Why don't you just tell me what you want now?' he was saying.

'Maybe I can try to get leave next month and come see you. I don't think I will be able to get any leave this month.... Yes. Ok.... Goodbye,' he said and hung up.

'It's the second time this week that she told you to come see her. Why don't just go and see her? Maybe on a Sunday,' Momo said.

'I couldn't be back in the same day. I still would have to take a day off. And Sunday is the only day we get off. I don't want to  spoil my Sunday by seeing my uncle's family. I mean, if I go see my mother I will see them too,' he said.

'Aren't you neglecting her too much?'

'I just don't want to see my uncle and his family!'

'That is just an excuse!' Her voice was louder. Chaeyoung stayed silent, surprised by Momo's reaction.

'What is going on?' said Jeongyeon. He just came home with fresh bread.

'His mother just called. It's the second time this week. She wanted to see him and talk to him but he's finding excuses not to see her!' Momo said.

'Why are you so sensitive about my mother?' Chaeyoung blurted out.

'What if she has something important she wanted to talk to you about?'

'If it was so important she could have just told me about it on the phone,' Chaeyoung kind of yelled.

'Okay, can we all just calm down,' Jeongyeon interrupted.

'You are no better!' Momo retorted. 'I have a mother I haven't heard from for almost three years. I don't even know if she's alive. I'd give anything just to see her again, but look at you neglecting your mother. And look at you,' she pointed to Jeongyeon, 'pretending as if your mother is dead for all these years.'

Jeongyeon wanted to flip out as well. But he knew where Momo's sensitivity came from. Someone had to stay calm and maneuver them out of the situation.

'See, we didn't usually talk about these things and we didn't for a reason. These are touchy topics. Can we make a pact not to talk about these things?' Jeongyeon said trying to sound as calm as possible. Chaeyoung nodded in agreement. They both looked at Momo. She took deep breaths and composed herself.

'I am sorry. I overreacted. It's just... so frustrating to see you guys like this. Sometimes I wonder what could have my father done to my mother. Sometimes I can't help but  wonder if my father killed her and I have nightmares about it. You guys have mothers trying to reach out to you. I'm so envious of it. But you cut them off. It hurts to see that. I'm sorry for overreacting,' she said and went to her room. Jeongyeon followed her. He hugged her from the back. They didn't exchange words. The hug itself was comforting.

'Are you feeling better?' Jeongyeon asked after a minute.

'Yeah.'

'I love you.'

Momo smiled. 'I love you more,' she said.

'No, I love you more.'

'You wanna argue again?'

'I will make you win,' he said.

'Let go. We have to go to work. It's almost 8,' she said rubbing his arm.

'5 more minutes like this please.'

'We won't have time to eat then. Let's get ready. Let go,' she said pulling out his arms from around her. She saw the words "Momo's Jeongyeon" written on his left arm.