It All Started With The Poetic Contest

Fluff + poetry = wowzers

Synopsis: A poetry competition was held in your college, where you & the chosen students must write a poem against the professional ones to see if any of you learn about literature.
Note: Human & you're a great college student uwu. Modern btw

Enjoy!

Narrator's POV

"Poetry writing competition? On Against professionals? All must join?" You read the poster in the school's outside bulletin board. You felt mixed feelings in you. Worry, excitement & even confusion. You love writing poems. You even wrote more than 300 short poems in a few days during summer & 50 long poems in a few weeks. You did enjoy writing it, and you even made commissions during your free time in your college. Anyways, you're an intelligent & kind person, with a passion of literature, especially poetry. The use of words were not only artistic but as if they're paired to dance. Themes of your poems were usually about nature, youth, fantasy, mystery & etc. But, never romance. For you, romance is just kind of odd for you, "Hey, (Y/n)! Are you ready for the contest tomorrow?" Your friend, Ashley asked you with a smile, "Oh yes, I am! Excites for the poetry contest!" You exclaimed as both of you walked to the cafeteria to buy a few snacks before going home. The afternoon wasn't that hot though, but still a wonderful sight to see with someone you share jokes with, "Here you go." She handed you a wrapped & cold ice cream sandwich & thanked her, "Are you going to join?" You asked Ashley as you started to walk with her again, "Actually, I can't." "Why not?" "Well," Ashley started & she sounded, sorrowful, "Come on, tell me anything." You assured her while wearing an encouraging smile. Ashley then inhaled & spoke out, "I must go to another country to transfer to a different college." Hearing this, you were in dismay, "Really? Why?" You asked again as you teared the wrapper of the sandwich & took a bite of the cold yet delicious ice cream sandwich, "Because, here, it's expensive. And the college I will be enroll is much cheaper & better." You wore a sad face as you held her other hand, "It's fine. We can chat, right?" She nodded as her face lit up a bit, "And, I'll do my best in the contest." You were filled determination as you smiled brightly. She chuckled as her responses & hugged you, "I'll be leaving tomorrow afternoon." She stated, "Which means I can't go to school." You nodded & took a bite again of your sandwich, "Well, I have to go." You stated as you glanced on your watch, "Bye, Ashley! Have a safe trip tomorrow!" You called out as you ran towards her, "Bye!"

"Hey mom!" You called out but you paused when you smelled the scent of the food, "Oh hey, (y/n/n). How's school?" Your mother called out, "There will be a poetry contest tomorrow! & I can't wait!" You exclaimed as you places your bags beside the door frame, "Really? How wonderful! How about Ashley? Will she join?" Your face went to a frown when your mother asked the question, "She can't. Because she will transfer to a different college tomorrow afternoon." You replied sadly. Your mother was surprised by it, "That's too bad, for she will miss your competition!" Your mother added, "But what can I do? That's life." You stated as you watched your mother placed the food, "What's the theme?" You shrugged at your mother's question, "Probably different themes in each round." You replied as both of you started to eat.

'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆'∆

"Welcome, to the Poetry Contest!" The professor exclaimed through the mic, "Today, we will introduce the profession poets for the competition which the students must compete for the next round." You were excited to know your opponents today, including others as well. The first person was a young high-schooler, who wrote more than 500 short & long poems & 3 epics. The second poet was either in his 20s, wrote 2,300 short & long poems since he was 13 years old. The third person was a lovely woman in her late teenage years, who wrote 400 poems & 27 short stories. The fourth person who was a man in his 30s, who wrote 70 stage play writings & 300 poems since 7 years old. The fifth one caught your eye. He was in his mid or early 40s, who wrote 600 poems, 2 romance novels & 25 short stories. Smugness & mischief surrounded him as he walked to the stage. After they introduced themselves & their feelings of this school challenge, it's his turn to tell a brief about himself. One thing that made everyone squeal with joy was when he stated, "I'm also a single man, lonely but still happy." Wow, every woman here loved his picturesque appearance, perhaps with husband/boyfriend material. You didn't squeal with them, but continued to admire him. He was known for his romantic novels about how love can save a life of a woman. Sounds melancholy with a happy ending, "Alright, thank you dear poets for your kind words." The professor replied with a smile, "Anyways, there will be three elimination rounds. If ONE of you was able to defeat the students, you must defeat five of the famous poets. If you do, you can be one of them!" The professor was excited & jolly. He was indeed excited about the contest.