Chapter IV - Childhood

Harry woke up the next morning, wrapped comfortably and warmly in the large bed. He glanced around the room, unsure of where he was at first, and then he remembered. A grin shot across his face at the realization that it hadn't been a dream. He really had been rescued from the Dursleys by his Da, and he had been given lots of new clothes and toys. He was in a mansion, and had been given hugs and kisses and his Da had said he loved him. He climbed out of bed and carefully tip-toed across the room, opening his bedroom door carefully and peaking out of the door to see if he was allowed to go downstairs. He noticed that the two big oak doors that led to the master bedroom were closed. He knocked softy but there was no answer. Harry carefully pushed open the door and looked at the bed.

James was sleeping soundly, snoring a bit as he snuggled between the pillows. The blankets were in a huge heap around him and he had one leg hanging off the king-sized bed as if he didn't have enough room to sleep. Harry stood in the doorway, hesitating. He wasn't supposed to go into rooms without permission. But that had been at the Dursleys and his Da had been so different. He gulped and then he tip-toed over to the bed and poked James in his bare chest. James let out a snort and Harry jumped. Then he poked him again. This time, he opened his eyes.

"Harry?"

"Hi, Da." Harry said carefully.

James noticed the hesitation in speech and he could see the fear in his son's eyes. He was still afraid to do anything because he didn't know the rules. James sighed; he was going to fix that. He grabbed Harry and tossed him into the big bed next to him, tickling him in the stomach as Harry let out a giggle. Then he rubbed his stubbly chin on his face, making Harry squirm in delight. After tickling him until he begged for him to stop, he rolled over and tossed his arm over his eyes. "It's not morning yet."

Harry grinned. He had never been tickled like that in his life. It had been fun. "The sun is out."

"Nuh-uh!"

Harry laughed, bouncing on the bed now. "It is. I could see it shining in the window."

James grinned and snuggled into his pillow. "I guess that means that you want me to get up and give you some breakfast?"

Harry smiled. "Only if it's okay."

"Harry, it's always okay. Yeah, alright, I'm getting up. But I can't cook at all." James replied as he climbed out of bed. He stretched lazily as he walked to the dresser for a t-shirt. The black pyjama pants that he wore were slightly faded at the stress points. At twenty-three, James felt like an old man. He turned to look over at his son and grinned. "Come on, Harry, let's go see what we can con Maddy into making. I bet if you ask her she'll make French toast."

"What's French toast?" Harry asked curiously.

James laughed as he scooped his son up into his arms and kissed his forehead. "Only the greatest breakfast food ever invented! Let's go!"

**********

After breakfast, Harry got dressed in some of his new clothes and came downstairs, just as a tall man with light brown hair and brownish gold eyes came out of the fireplace. He looked up in surprise at the sight of Harry just as James came into the room.

"Moony, I was wondering when you would get here." He put his hand on Harry's shoulder and smiled warmly. "Harry, this is one of my best friends, and your honourary uncle, Remus Lupin, you used to call him Uncle Remus or Uncle Moony."

Harry smiled at the man, but Remus didn't fail to notice the hesitation. "Hello."

Remus grinned and knelt down so that he was eye-level with Harry. "Hello Harry, welcome home." He tugged the boy to him and hugged him close, pleased when Harry's small hands fisted in his shirt.