Chapter XII - Discovering the Truth

Harry, Ron and Hermione headed down to Hagrid's cabin after Harry sent Hedwig out with his letter. They were really worried about how this was going to affect Hagrid, as they remembered how much pain he had been in when Buckbeak had had to go to the hearing, let alone being executed. They were carefully concealed under Harry's invisibility cloak so they had to walk slowly so as to make sure that none of them were showing. Since it was still day light when they left the castle, they didn't have to worry about the Dementor guards, but to be honest, the Dementors were the last thing on their minds.

They knocked softly on the hut door and Hagrid opened it up. Harry pushed the cloak back as they looked up at him. "Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?"

Hagrid pointed to where the Hippogriff was tied up in the vegetable patch. "O'er there. I've tried to make him comfortable all day. You shouldn't 'ave come."

Hermione took Hagrid's hand in hers. "Don't be ridiculous, Hagrid; you shouldn't have to go through something like this by yourself. We want to be here for you."

Ron nodded. "That's what friends are for."

Harry walked over to Hagrid and was surprised when he was pulled into his arms for a tight hug, hard enough to knock the circulation out of his system. "We care about you, Hagrid."

Hermione nodded. "Let me make you a cup of tea. It will soothe your throat a bit and maybe help calm you down."

Hagrid nodded as he watched Hermione open his cupboards. "I appreciate you three coming down to see me, but I don't want you to watch Buckbeak ... that's not something you should be seeing." Hagrid replied, as silent tears rolled down his cheek.

"But Hagrid, we want –"

"I said no! I don't want you to witness that!"

Hermione shrieked causing the three of them to turn to look at her. "Ron! I just ... I found Scabbers!"

"What?"

"Scabbers!" Hermione repeated as she pointed at the rat who was trying to escape.

Ron reached forward and grabbed him. "Come here, you. Don't worry, that ruddy cat is no where around!"

"Ron! I think that this means that you owe me an apology!" Hermione demanded.

"What do you mean?"

Hermione huffed. "I mean, you blamed me for Scabbers disappearance, saying that Crookshanks ate him! Yet here he is, alive and well."

"Well, the evidence was against him and –"

"Shush! You three have to go! Dumbledore's coming down with Fudge and with the executioner. I think his name is Macnair! You guys can't be seen 'ere! Go out the back, 'urry! Cover yourselves up in this cloak!" Hagrid exclaimed as he cautiously watched out of the corner of his eye at the approaching trio.

"Hagrid," Harry began. "We want to –"

"Out!" Hagrid demanded.

Harry threw the cloak over them as they headed out the back exit and began to make their way back up the hill to the castle. He could feel Ron squirming around next to him. "Ron stop moving, the cloak won't stay on all of us!"

"I – can't – bloody – help it – he won't stay – still – ouch! Bloody hell – he bit me!"

Harry saw Scabbers hit the ground and before he could stop Ron, he had thrown off the cloak and chased after him. Harry looked over at Hermione who nodded and they both dived out from under the cloak and hurried after Ron. Scabbers continued to escape. Harry then saw a familiar shadow step out of the woods, Crookshanks. He elbowed Hermione and pointed.