Chapter LVIII - The Grangers

Dinner with the Weasleys had gone better then Harry had expected. He wasn't sure exactly what he had been expecting, but everything had just gone so well with Draco that he didn't know how to react. But he still wasn't sure about what exactly was running through Draco's mind. Harry had not failed to miss the way that he had stiffened when Molly had pulled him into her arms for a hug or the look of utter shock that had appeared on his face when she had. He wasn't sure exactly what to think, but the look on Draco's face made him think that maybe he had never been hugged like that before.

After dinner, Draco had claimed he was tired and went up to bed. Fred and George had headed back to their flat so Harry and Ron went up to his room. Ron stretched out in Harry's desk chair.

"So, this all happened just recently?"

Harry nodded. "I tried to write it in a letter to you but it always sounded so far-fetched."

Ron snorted. "With good reason."

"I used Legilimency on him. He was telling the truth. You've seen the paper. He ran away from home. I'm not saying he's a great guy now or anything but he's trying."

Ron nodded. "I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's given you something to think about anyway."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

Ron's eyebrow rose. "Like your every waking thought hasn't been on my sister?"

Harry grinned. "Oh, that. Yeah, I miss her, a lot."

Ron nodded. "It's weird not having her around. Mum and Dad have been acting odd too. I guess that I kind have got the feeling of what it was like for Ginny when I went away to school. I'm the only one at home now."

Harry laughed. "Yeah, I guess so. What have you been doing?"

Ron shrugged. "A little bit of this and a little bit of that. It wasn't so bad, I mean, Hermione was there so at least I had someone to talk to. Bill and Charlie and Fred and George are always dropping in too."

"Charlie?" Harry asked.

Ron nodded. "Yeah, he's staying in London for a while I guess. I think he's crashing at Bill's flat. I don't blame him. He can't exactly bring girls home at the Burrow."

Harry laughed. "Well, what did Ginny do when you were away at school? I mean, maybe you could do some of that."

Ron snorted. "I'll pass thanks. Ginny's always been really close to Bill and he used to come home once a week and take her out shopping or out to dinner or lunch. He totally spoils her. I used to be jealous when I was little but I don't have that much in common with Bill. Besides, Charlie used to take me to Quidditch games and stuff, so same deal. Anyway, Ginny used to go spend weeks at a time with Bill in Egypt and go shopping. At one point I think they even took dance lessons or something together. Ginny had to beg him forever to do it."

Harry grinned. "I know she talks about Bill a lot. I hope she's enjoying herself in New York, learning a lot."

Ron nodded. "She should work on building up her magic. I mean, I remember, even when I was little, Ginny always knew how to cheer me up. She always knew when I was sad or angry. I guess, she's kind of special."

"Really special. I miss her a lot."

Ron grinned. "It will go by fast. Come on, let's go fly around for a bit before it gets dark."

Harry grinned. "Alright." He grabbed his broom and followed Ron out of the room.

He hoped that his friend was right and that it did go by fast because he really did miss her.

*******

It was a few days later and Harry was nervously waiting for James to return home from wherever he was because he had somehow been conned into the idea of going to talk to Hermione. He knew that he shouldn't have brought up the whole, what was up with Hermione and her parents, thing? But he had and now he was the one who had to confront her about. He wasn't sure what he was looking for but he just had this feeling that something was off about the Grangers. It had all started the summer before when Hermione had shown up at Potter Manor only a few hours after Dumbledore had said he wanted all of them there and because of the whole Order thing. Then when James had asked about her parents, her comments had been ... well, he wasn't even sure. He just knew that something was off.

"So, Hermione, how are your parents doing? Were they upset that you had to leave so early?" James asked.

Hermione shrugged. "No, they weren't really upset. I mean, they understand what is going on so they know I'll be safer here. They are okay otherwise. They have some big dental convention coming up anyway."