Chapter LXVII - Christmas Part I

Ginny smiled warmly at Sirius when he stepped into the room. His emotions had been going quite haywire lately and it was really starting to drive her crazy. She couldn't ignore them anymore, or push them aside. They were getting stronger and whenever she was in the same room as him she could feel them pounding through her. She couldn't believe how often other people's emotions affected her now that she had learned to better control her power. They barrelled through her and she could barely manage to sustain her own emotions when they hit her. Now she was feeling a mixture of happiness, fear, sadness, anger, and a bit of anxiety. She knew that this was her chance to try to work it out.

They had all just returned from St. Mungo's a little while ago, where Tonks, Daniel, and Remus were doing wonderfully. The healers had even agreed to let them go home in a few hours since it was Christmas Eve and she figured that the new family was settling down in their new home for the evening. She figured that Lexy must have gone up to bed since Sirius was here alone and Harry was still talking to his parents. But she was awake and the emotions parading through her needed to be dealt with.

"Hey Sirius."

He turned and grinned at her. "Hey Gorgeous, I didn't know that you were here."

She blushed; she couldn't help it. He was always playfully flirting with her and it made her smile. Other then Bill and Charlie, he was the 'brother' that she had missed the most. "Can't really sleep right now. What about you? Why are you down here and not upstairs in bed with your wife?"

Sirius shrugged. "Not tired. I've got some things on my mind anyway."

Ginny nodded and stood up. "I know. Sirius ... look, you understand what I went away to study, right?"

"Yeah, you've got all of these great powers now, brave little, Ginevra, powers of emotions, aren't they?"

"I'm an empath."

"And you want to help me. I get that. But I don't want your help."

Ginny sighed and took a seat next to him on the couch. "Want it or not you're going to get it. Come on, Sirius ... I've thought of you as another big brother, a close friend, or even a godfather. You've always been ... I thought we were kind of close. Don't you think that I've got a good ear?"

"We are close, Ginny, you're a sweetheart and I'm sure that you're a great listener ... but I just don't want to talk about it."

She sighed and took his hands in hers. She was going to make him talk, even if she had to force it out of him. "You feel happy and excited; scared, almost terrified of what the future is going to bring. You're angry at the way you reacted to the news and because of your own past. You love her more then anything and you already love that little girl, which worries you more. How close am I?"

Sirius glared at her. "I think that you should keep your powers the hell out of my head."

"I can't help it. I feel them because you're feeling them so strongly at the moment. I tried to ignore them and push them away but you haven't let me! Now tell me what's wrong, Sirius!"

He sighed. "Why?"

"Because you need to talk to someone before you explode. If not me, then talk to James or Remus or Lexy. But talk to someone." She replied.

Sirius' eyes met hers. "I wouldn't even know where to start."

She smiled and placed her hand on his arm. "How about with the baby?"

He sighed and closed his eyes. "I love her. I know that. Does that count for something?"

"It counts for the world. Now come on, tell me what's wrong?"

"I'm wrong. I don't deserve Lexy or this baby, but I want and love them so much that it hurts. I'm not good for either of them. Look at what I came from and look at my past; it only further proves my point." He replied, dragging his fingers through his hair.

Ginny shook her head. "I don't think so. I don't understand what you're saying, what's your past, Sirius? A convicted murderer of a crime that you didn't even commit? Ooh, real dark and dodgy there."

He grinned. "Okay, point taken. And it's not that part ... it's ... I didn't have the greatest childhood."

"So?"

"So, my parents were not exactly parents of the year. My father was ... I'm sure that you've heard of him, Orion Black. He was a right bastard. Rich as hell, pureblood, and proud of it. In fact, he had a lot in common with Lucius Malfoy, that same attitude of superiority above everyone else. He thought that he was king of the world. He walked over everyone in the ministry by showing that flash of gold, flying his name around like he was Merlin himself; like he was a gift to the world. But all he was ... he was a drunk, an abusive drunk. He drank a lot, mostly Firewhiskey and gin and tonic. He couldn't hold his liquor very well though and he made it clear of that. He married my mum when he was seventeen, Walburga Black, it was arranged naturally. He had to keep the pureblood line pure. He always said that he started drinking the night of their marriage; that my mother drove him to drink. He had two sons, pureblood, and we were supposed to be exactly like he wanted. Tough, hard, marry a pureblood and give birth to pureblood sons ... I failed from the get-go. I liked to prank and have fun, my brother did too until he saw the consequences. This isn't a pity-me story, my childhood turned out to be quite good after I met James, but before that, yeah, I had the shit beat out of me on a regular basis. My mum, well, she was a right controlling bitch basically, but as you've seen the picture in Grimmauld Place you know that already. She was a hard woman, I could never do anything right in her eyes and she let me know it as did my father. Regulas ... well Reg couldn't make the cut either until he was sorted into Slytherin. I was already practically disowned by that time for getting into Gryffindor. See my problem?"

Ginny shook her head and took his hand in hers again. "No I don't. You're parents were horrible people, Sirius, I get that. But what does that have to do with you?"

"My parents were normal people until they got married, Gorgeous."

"So?"

He rolled his eyes. "So what if I turn out exactly like them? What if when this baby is born I turn to drinking so that I don't have to deal with it? What if I become my parents?"

"That's the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard."

"Excuse me?"

Ginny nodded. "You heard me. Why would you turn out like them? You're nothing like them, Sirius. You've made yourself into someone so much better then them. You're going to be a wonderful father. You don't have anything to worry about."

"Sure I do. What about when she grows up and finds out that her daddy spent twelve years in prison? Then what? I lose her?"

Ginny snapped her fingers in front of his eyes causing him to jolt. "Snap out of the fear! You're being ridiculous, Sirius! Kids know that their parents aren't perfect. Besides, it was a crime that you didn't commit. You were innocent."

He nodded. "That may be, but prison changes you, Ginny ... it was a dark place. I don't know what I would have done if James, Harry, and Remus hadn't accepted me back like that. Being there with the Dementors, meals once a day, no showers or baths ... reliving your worse memories day after day. Sometimes I still wake up in a cold sweat with Lex wrapped around me and I feel like I'm still there. That I never got out and that James and Lily are dead and it's my fault. I don't know if I'll ever get over that."

"I don't think that you're supposed to, get over it, I mean." Ginny replied softly. "You may have been an innocent man but you still suffered, Sirius. Prison didn't change you so much. Not where it matters. You're still a wonderful man, handsome and fun and loving and your daughter is going to know that and love that about you. She's going to be your little princess."

Sirius grinned. "Kind of like you're Arthur's?"

Ginny grinned. "Exactly. I'm sure everyone would be nervous to have a baby, Sirius, it's a big step, but I think that you're worrying about nothing."

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I suppose I am. But to me, this is a big thing. It's my life. Lexy is my life and now this baby ... I'm going to have a daughter."

Ginny laughed. "A beautiful little girl that will snuggle in your lap and love it when you rub her with your rough stubble face first thing in the morning; love it when you sit by her bed at night and tell her fairy tales and stories about the Marauders; love it when you dance with her or teach her how to play Quidditch; love you more then anything in the world and build you up in her mind as the most wonderful and most amazing man. She will be your princess, Sirius, and she'll love you. You're going to be her hero."

"But I'm not perfect and what happens when she grows up and realizes that? And then she won't want anything to do with me and then what?"

Ginny laughed. "Sirius! No one's perfect."

"But she won't know that and when she realizes that I'm not she's going to hate me and want nothing to do with me and think that I'm a horrible father and ignore me and disown me and then she's going to -"

"Sirius! Calm down!" She interrupted. "When the time comes for her to realize that you're not perfect, she's going to be growing up. I know my daddy isn't perfect but he's perfect to me. He was my everything when I was little, and he still is. I had big brothers to watch out for me and protect me when I needed them but I didn't need them like I needed my daddy. Now I think that you're letting your mind play tricks on you."

He grinned. "Maybe a little. I'm just scared and nervous ... I've never had a baby before."

"Good thing Lexy's having the baby then and not you."

"Haha, very funny ... I just ... I want to do it right."

"Then snap out of this before I bat bogey you!"

He laughed. "Going to curse me, Gin?"

"I might just hit you and see if you hit back."

His eyes darkened. "I'm not going to hit you."

"Then why would you hit your little girl? Or Lexy?"

"Point taken." He reached over to ruffle her hair. "But if I did fight, I could take you."

Ginny laughed. "Pul-lease! I could so kick your arse!"

"Want to test that, Gorgeous?"

She stood up and raised her fists, a smirk on her face. "Alright, let's go!"

"What's this?" Harry asked from the doorway. "I come down and find you two about to fist fight? And no offence, Uncle Sirius, but Gin would kick your arse!"

"Hey!"

Ginny laughed and reached up to kiss his cheek. "Love you too. Now go upstairs and tell your wife what you're feeling. You'll probably find that she has a lot of the same fears."

He nodded and stood up. "Ginny?"

"Yeah?"

He pulled her close for a hug and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "Thanks. I love you and I think of you as my goddaughter ... I just wanted you to know that."

She smiled, tears in her eyes. "Thank you." She watched him walk away and sighed in contentment when Harry's arms encircled her waist. "What are you doing down here anyway?"

"Nothing much. Mum and Da went to bed and I couldn't sleep. What was that about between you and Uncle Sirius?"

Ginny smiled and turned in his arms to wrap her arms around his waist. "I was just helping him out a bit. I think he really needed someone to talk to."

"And you were that person?"

"Hey! I happen to be a fantastic listener, besides ... I've always kind of felt close to Sirius."

Harry nodded. "I know. You two have a bond of a sort ... right from the beginning. Did he really open up to you?"

She nodded. "He did. I think that it was the most serious conversation that I've ever had with him. He's going through a lot now too."

"I can imagine. I can't believe Aunt Lexy's having a baby too, that's crazy. Everything is just going so well and so wonderful. I'm kind of afraid that I'll wake up soon, you know?"

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Ginny replied. "Tom is still out there but we've heard nothing, it's almost as if he's biding his time."

"Exactly."

Ginny smiled. "Well, for now we don't need to worry about that. Kiss me goodnight?"

"Goodnight," he groaned. "But I was hoping that we could stay down here and you know ... have some time alone?"

"Mmm, sounds wonderful ... but I'm tired and I know you are too. I'll make it up to you tomorrow. After all, tomorrow's Christmas." She kissed him softly. "Promise."

He nodded. "I can live with that. Come on, I'll walk you upstairs."

"Why thank you, Mr. Potter!"

He grinned and kissed her again. "You are very welcome."

************

Sirius stepped into the bedroom, closing the door behind him. Lexy rolled over at the sound but she didn't wake up. He undressed silently and then slipped into bed next to her, snuggling her close. His head rested on her stomach. He rubbed his hand gently over her tummy through the blue silk of her nightgown, looking up at his wife for a minute to make sure that she was sleeping before he turned his attention back to her flat abdomen.

"Hey princess ... it's your dad talking to you right now. I know I've never done that before. I uh ... well, I don't even know if you can hear me, but I hope so. I just wanted to tell you that I love you so much. I love you more then anything in the world and I'm going to take the best possible care of you." He kissed Lexy's stomach, oblivious to Lexy's slow smile that appeared on her face. "I'm going to teach you a lot too, about the Marauders ... you'll be a real good Marauder and if you're not well that's okay too and I'll tell you lots of stories about things me and your uncles James and Remus did."

He jolted when hands slid through his hair. "She loves you too."

"Huh?"

Lexy smiled and pulled him up so that she could kiss him. "She loves you too. You're going to be a great father, Sirius."

He nodded. "I just ... I just had a bit of heart to heart with Ginny."

"Oh yeah? Did you learn anything?"

"A bit yeah." He replied. "I learned that I'm proud of her and that I love her like a goddaughter. She's amazing and I really opened up to her, more then I think I wanted to. She was right about one thing though, I did need to talk to someone. I needed to get it off my chest, my worries and my concerns. I've had a lot on my mind lately."

"Like what?"

"My parents, my childhood, prison ... I was just thinking, what if I turned out to be like my parents were or how our baby will react when she finds out that I was in prison."

"And what did Ginny say about that?" Lexy asked, running her fingers softly through his hair as his head rested on her breasts listening to her heartbeat.

"She told me to snap out of it; threatened to bat bogey me and to hit me."

Lexy laughed. "Did you?"

"Did I what?" He asked, lifting his head to look into her eyes.

"Snap out of it."

He grinned. "I think so. I'm still going to be worried, I mean; I don't know anything about being a father."

"Yes, you do. You know exactly how to be a father because you've had a role model in James. You're Harry's godfather and you may not have been around for most of his life but you were there when he was a baby. You're going to do fine. Maybe I don't know anything about being a mother."

Sirius grinned. "You're amazing and I don't have any doubt in your abilities."

Lexy smiled. "Neither do I and that applies to you as well. Do you feel better now?"

He nodded. "Much. I was wondering about something though?"

"Hmm, what's that?"

"Well, godparents for our baby."

Lexy looked over at him in surprise. "You have been thinking a bit, haven't you?"

He nodded. "Well, Moony asked you and Harry to be godparents to Dan and, well, Petunia and I are godparents to Harry but she doesn't count and, well, I was wondering if you had anyone particular in mind for godparents?"

She shook her head. "Not really, why who were you thinking?"

"Lex, I really want Ginny to be godmother."

Lexy smiled. "I knew that you were going to say that."

"Is that a good thing?"

She laughed. "Yes. I think Ginny would be perfect. I think that you should be the one to ask her though. Alright? It would mean more to her and to you."

He nodded. "I can do that."

"Hmm, and I don't even have to ask who's godfather do I?"

Sirius grinned. "Well, it's only right; I mean I am godfather to his firstborn."

Lexy laughed and kissed him softly. "James and Ginny it is, Sirius, but I get to choose for the next one."

"Next one?" Sirius asked paling. "Oh boy, I'm not even used to the idea of one yet!"

She grinned. "You'll get used to it."

"So what are we going to name her?"

"Hmm?" She asked.

"Our daughter? What are we going to name her?"

Lexy grinned. "I don't know. I haven't really thought about it. Any ideas?"

He grinned wickedly. "A few. What about ... Agnes or Priscilla or maybe Babette?"

Lexy's eyebrow rose questionably. "I don't think so. We'll work on the whole name thing and definitely not Babette."

Sirius laughed. "Come on, Babette Black, I think it has a nice sound to it."

"No."

"What, don't I get a choice in the names? Okay what about Babs? Or Beatrice?"

Lexy grinned. "Hmm, I really don't think so."

"Berniece Black or Bluebelle or Buffy ... Bunny ... oh I got it! Bunty Black!"

Lexy laughed. "This conversation is over, Mr. Black. We are not naming our daughter Bunty."

"Okay, what about Clementine or Coco or maybe Dolores ... no too Umbitch ... um Dixie or maybe Dotty, Earleen, Effie or Edna um ... Fanny, Flicka, Imogene, Kitty, no what about Lottie or Josephine or Olivette, Pauline, Philippina, Tibby, Winnie, no I got it ... Yolanda."

"No, no, no, and no. Where are you even coming up with these names?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Come on though, Olivette Black ... it has a ring to it."

"No."

"You're not even listening to me." He whined.

Lexy smiled and kissed him softly. "Honey, if you want our daughter to love you, you cannot name her Flicka or Babs or Olivette or Bunty. Got it?"

He sighed. "Alright, we'll think of something better. You really don't like Bluebelle?"

"Sirius!"

He grinned. "Just kidding. Besides, it's not like we don't have any time to choose one."

She nodded and ran her fingers through his hair. "Exactly. Sirius?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

A slow smile formed on his face and he kissed her hand. "I love you too, Lex." Then he kissed her belly through her nightgown. "And I love you too, princess. Don't worry; Mummy's not going to let me name you Bunty."

Lexy laughed. "You're hopeless."

"Am not. Okay so what about Eugenia?"

"No. I'm going to sleep now."

"Ah, you're no fun." He kissed her softly. "Night."

Lexy smiled at him and then snuggled close. "Goodnight."

***********

Harry woke up early on Christmas morning and stumbled into the bathroom. He still felt like his life for the past few days had all been a dream. He was a godfather to a handsome baby boy; his mum was alive and happy; and Ginny was back in his arms. His life was just becoming too wonderful and he hated himself for waiting for the other shoe to drop. He showered and dressed for the day and grinned when he opened his bedroom door and found Ginny about to knock.

Her hair was pulled back halfway, leaving most of it hanging down her back. Her hair was even more gorgeous now with the layers and the pretty highlights of gold and dark red, something her hair held naturally on its own which only made it look greater. She wore tight jeans that showed the outline of her hips and her legs enough to make Harry's mouth water and she had on an emerald green sweater that left her shoulders bare and was form fitting in all of the right places.

"Happy Christmas!"

He grinned and yanked her forward, kissing her softly on the lips. "Mmm, happy Christmas indeed."

She laughed. "Come on; let's go downstairs and open presents."

"Who says that you got any gifts?"

"I do." She held his hand in hers as she led him down the stairs. They ran into Draco on the way down. "Happy Christmas!"

Draco nodded. "Yeah, you too."

Harry grinned. "Would it kill you to smile? It is Christmas."

Draco grinned. "I guess not."

The three of them stepped into the living room where the huge Christmas tree was standing. James had gone all out this year with the tree and Harry knew that it was because it was the first Christmas that he was home since he had started at school. The tree was beautiful, decked out in white and gold fairy lights with bubbles sitting atop the branches. Decorations outlined the tree too from ornaments he had made as a child to expensive glass ones. To him it was the perfect tree.

Almost everyone was settled in the living room at this point. Fleur was curled up comfortably in Bill's lap in one of the huge armchairs; Fred and George were seated on the floor next to the tree; Ron was sitting on the couch next to Sirius, who had Lexy in his lap; Hermione was sitting next to Charlie and Emma; and Molly and Arthur were holding hands from where they sat on the couch. Harry took a seat on the floor and Ginny made herself comfortable on his lap as Draco sat down next to them. It was only a few minutes later when Remus, Tonks, Daniel, James, and Lily stepped into the room.

"Happy Christmas everyone!" James grinned happily as he took a seat.

Molly smiled up at him. "Happy Christmas, James! The tree looks even lovelier then it did last night."

Lily smiled. "I have to agree."

A few moments later, presents were being passed around and the room was filled with the sounds of ripping paper. Harry was more interested in watching everyone open their gifts then in seeing what he got. But he received some new clothes from Molly and Arthur, sweaters she had sewn him; some new products from the twins; Hermione had bought him refills of ingredients from his broomstick servicing kit; Draco had given him a book on defence from dark magic which surprised him greatly but he was pleased all the same; Ron had given him some Pride of Portree memorabilia which had surprised him as he usually got Canons stuff; Sirius and Lexy had given him a collection of books about ancient magic that touched upon every subject imaginable and caused Hermione to ooh in pleasure; Remus and Tonks had given him a framed photograph of him holding Daniel as well as some new novels; James had given him some new clothing and a picture of James, Harry, and Lily at St. Mungo's from the night Dan was born; Charlie had given him some dragon hide boots which he had helped make; and from Bill and Fleur he had received some neat stuff from Egypt. But Ginny's gift had been the best.

She had given him a new sweater, a picture of herself taken in Hawaii, and a whispered promise that she had something else for him later on. His gift to her was ... well, he hadn't forgotten about the promise he made to himself in the summer, so she received a portable stereo system and a wide collection of music varying from muggle artists to witches and wizards from classical to rock to country. She giggled in awe when she saw it and Harry grinned when he saw the look on Arthur's face. He wondered who was going to have more fun with it.

Draco was the most interesting to watch as he couldn't seem to believe that he was getting presents. Everyone there had bought him something and even though he didn't receive any gifts from his own family, he still seemed pleased. James and Harry had given him the room upstairs in the manor where he had stayed in the summer with the promise that he could live there with them as long as he wanted. James had also gotten him a few new pairs of clothes. He looked truly surprised and touched by it.

"Here, Draco, I've got one more gift for you." James replied as he held out an envelope to him. Draco looked at him in curiousity as he accepted it. He carefully opened it up and slipped the parchment out. "It's not much," James continued. "I just thought that it was worth saving as a Christmas gift."

Draco stared at the parchment in front of him in shock for a moment and then he looked up. "I don't ... this says that I don't have to marry Pansy."

James grinned. "According to the betrothment contract made, no. It wasn't a blood bond or a chastity bond though it is recorded here that Lucius Malfoy tried to insist on both. Roger Parkinson disagreed and only allowed the betrothment on the grounds that it was signed and a sum of money given out. They both signed it for that agreement only."

"What does that mean exactly? I mean, it still says that I have to marry her?" He replied.

James nodded. "It does yes, but there's a way for you to get out of it because it was only a signed contract and payment not a blood or chastity bond. It means that you are betrothed to Pansy and as it is stated in the contract that you must marry her on 9th July, 1998, unless you manage to find someone else before that."

"Someone else?" Draco asked.

James nodded. "If you find another woman, someone you love and would rather marry, then you must either marry her before the set date written in the contract or sign another marriage contract within the Ministry promising to marry that woman no more then two years later and then a blood bond would be made between the two of you if you postpone the wedding to a later date. By doing so, you would be free of Pansy."

Harry grinned at the look on Draco's face. "Draco, that's great! Now you can work your charm on trying to get Delilah to like you."

"Delilah?" James asked. "Who's Delilah? Is she pretty?"

"Very. She's this beautiful girl in fifth year that Draco hasn't been able to keep his eyes off of since school started." Harry replied as he grinned at the look of awe on Draco's face. "But she won't give him the time of day."

Draco glared at Harry. "Thanks, just tell everyone." He sighed. "It doesn't matter anyway, she hates me. I doubt that that's about to change anytime soon."

Lily smiled warmly at him. "Now Draco, I'm sure that she could have a change of heart. Just look at James and I. If you ask anyone, I thought James was a self-centered, egotistical prat that I couldn't even stand to be in the same room with. I ended up marrying him."

Draco grinned. "Well, she does think that, but that's not the reason she hates me. If it was that, I could work around it."

"What is it then?" Lily asked. "If you don't mind me asking."

Draco was silent for a moment as he looked around the huge room full of people. He felt safe here and he felt surprisingly comfortable talking about this with people he didn't even know that well. But there were some things that were still too private. He stood up, with every intention of leaving until Lily spoke again.

"Come on, Draco; why does she hate you?"

Before he could stop himself, he blurted it out. "Because my father raped and killed her mother. Excuse me." He turned and walked out of the room without another word.

The room stayed silent after he left. Harry looked at his parents then. "I knew there was something there. I've been trying to get him to trust me since August. I'm going to go talk to him."

Lily placed her hand on her son's shoulder. "No, I am."

Harry watched her leave and sighed. "I hope that she can help him."

James smiled. "If anyone can get him to talk about his past it will be Lily."

**********

Lily headed upstairs into the room where Draco was staying and knocked softly on the door.

"Go away."

Lily ignored him and stepped inside of the room, closing the door behind her. "No, I don't that think I will."

He looked up at her in surprise. "Er, well of course you can come in, I mean it is your, well ... I thought you were Potter, I mean Harry."

She smiled and took a seat in the armchair next to his bed. "I know. Listen Draco, we haven't really gotten a chance to talk. Mind you, I only did just arrive here but I don't know much about you except for the fact that you're the son of Lucius and Narcissa and that you came to my son for help when Voldemort tried to force you into following him. Before that I understand that you and Harry didn't get along so well."

Draco nodded. "Yeah, well, he ... Potter pissed me off a bit."

"Why?"

"Why do you care?"

Lily shrugged. "Who said I cared? Maybe I'm just curious. You said something downstairs that was pretty serious about your father and I'd like to know not only where that came from but a little more about you. Especially since you'll be living here for the next while."

He sighed. "I ... I didn't like Potter because he insulted me on the first train ride to school. I was in awe of him like any other kid who had grown up hearing about his story, but unlike my parents who told me that he was evil as he had defeated the so called great lord, I viewed him as a hero like the rest of the world. Well, I heard he was on the train and I was excited but when I went into his compartment he was sitting in there with Ron. I recognized him right away as a Weasley, a group of people that I had been taught to be blood traitors, people not worthy to know. Something I regret believing now without discovering for myself. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have been nothing but kind to me since I arrived."

Lily nodded. "I understand that they're very kind people. Go on."

"Well, anyway I told him that I could help him out, help him learn to make friends with the right sort of people. He gave me a dirty look and said he could tell the right sort of himself. It was a direct insult to me but now that I look back on it, I can't say I blame him as I did insult his friend. We've kind of been enemies ever since. I mean, nothing really bad ever came of it. We just didn't like each other. But when I was told that I had to become a Death Eater or die he was the only person that I could think of to go to for help. I was afraid that if I went to Dumbledore ... Father would know and I would only get myself in more trouble." Draco explained.

"And Delilah? Where does she fit in?" Lily asked.

"She's beautiful. I really like her I don't know ... she's smart and pretty and she has a great laugh. But when I was eight I snuck downstairs during one of my father's 'meetings', Mother told me not to and that it wasn't appropriate for a child of my age ... she knew what they were doing, I know that now. There were five of them down there and Miriam Knight, Delilah's mother, she was chained to the wall and naked. They beat her and raped her, all of them. I hid in a hole in the wall and watched, crying and not understanding what they were doing. They all left and I thought for sure now that my father was alone with her he would save her. He raped her again and then he killed her; right there in front of me. He didn't know that I was there, of course ... Delilah and her dad know that it was my father who had her but as my father can squirm his way out of everything, they've got no proof." He replied. "He always gets away with it and he always gets out of prison, so there's no point in anything. Delilah thinks ... she says I'm just like him and that she wants nothing to do with me."

Lily stood up and took a seat on the bed next to him and gently ran her fingers through his hair. He stiffened at first and then he moved closer to her and allowed her to pull him into her arms and cuddle him to her breast. She smelt like a mum, he thought, or the way a mum should smell. "Its okay, sweetheart," she murmured as she continued to stroke his hair. After a few moments he sat up, looking a bit embarrassed. Lily ignored the look and took his hand in hers. "You're a very brave young man. You stood up to your parents by leaving and seeking help because you didn't want to get caught up in something that you know is wrong. You're not the one who committed the crime and once Delilah gets past that, she'll see who you really are. You just have to give her time, work on getting under her skin a little bit. Let her see the real you. Harry and James have a lot of faith in you and they really seem to believe that you've changed for the better. If they hadn't then they would never have allowed for you to stay here in our home. Do you understand that?"

He nodded. "I'm grateful to them, Mrs. Potter, don't think that I'm not."

"It's Lily and I know you are. But there's something that you're not doing; something that Harry talked to me about. You're not opening yourself up, allowing them to befriend you. You've obviously had a terrible past, Draco. You witnessed a murder and I doubt that that was the only thing you ever saw, am I right?"

He nodded but he didn't meet her gaze. "Yes."

"I won't force you to tell me these things but you should tell Harry. Now I may be prejudiced as he is my son, but he's a wonderful young man. He's a lot like James in two ways. He's trustworthy and he really listens to people when they talk. The second thing is that he's loyal. Harry would never betray someone he cares about; he would die first." Lily replied. "You trusted him enough with your life. You came to him for help when you needed it, but you won't let him help when it matters the most."

"I don't need any help now." Draco replied.

Lily smiled and touched his cheek. "You need a friend. You need someone that you can talk to. Harry's that person, Draco. He can help you out quite a bit but it's your job to let him in."

"Why are you telling me this?" Draco asked. "You don't even know me."

"I know enough about you to know that you're a sweet young man and that you're heart's in the right place. We just need your mind to try and catch up with it." She leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Now come on downstairs and enjoy Christmas with us. The more the merrier right?"

He nodded. "Mrs. Pot - Lily?"

"Yes."

"I just wanted to tell you that I grew up believing all muggleborns were bad but you and Hermione have really proved me wrong in these last few months. I just wanted to apologize for what I believed before."

Lily smiled. "There's no need. The thoughts didn't come from you."

Draco watched her leave the room and he sighed. How had he ended up being so lucky? Everyone was so nice to him and he had no idea of how to repay them. All he knew was that he felt like a small weight had been lifted off of his chest in a way that writing his thoughts out had never helped him. Lily was right; he needed a friend and Harry had been there for him. Now it was time for Draco to lean on the shoulder that was offered.