Chapter XXXV - Romance and Hogsmeade

The next week went by a lot smoother then the first two. Harry managed to keep his head in Umbridge's class because he just kept replaying the scene in her office over and over again. It made him smile so he managed to ignore her for the most part - after all, having the students read a chapter in class every day wasn't exactly his idea of teaching anyway. Not to mention the fact that he had told Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville the story and that the five of them couldn't stop laughing at Umbitch. But Harry had to admit that the best day ever was his first day in Transfiguration with McGonagall after the incident with Umbridge.

It had happened at the end of class right before dismissal when McGonagall had raised her voice to get the class' attention.

"Listen up everyone; I've got an important announcement to make. As you all know, Hogwarts now has a High Inquisitor. One of the perks of the job as High Inquisitor is to investigate the teachers, so to speak. Something that our new High Inquisitor plans to start as soon as possible. So as Head of Gryffindor House I am telling you that Professor Umbitch, I mean, Umbridge," her face flushed a bit as she realized what she had done but Harry couldn't help himself he busted out laughing and he could only smirk at her when he heard her mutter, "Damn that James Potter, picking such a true nickname for that foul-mouthed toad! I'm going to kill him!"

The entire class was continuing to look up at McGonagall in shock as if they could not believe their ears but Harry's laughing seemed to have brought them back to life and finally Seamus spoke up.

"Umbitch. I love it! Professor, you rock!"

The class began to cheer slightly as McGonagall grinned. "Enough. No one needs to repeat that. Now, back to what I was saying. Professor Um-BRIDGE will be inspecting classes. Just ignore her and pay attention to your professors. That's all, have a good day."

She dismissed the class who left muttering and laughing about the new name that Umbridge had been given. Harry stayed behind momentarily to grin at McGonagall.

"Professor? Shall I mention to my father that you plan to kill him?"

McGonagall smirked at Harry. "Brat, you're exactly like him! Besides, I can't fault him; the name fits her to a tee. Which is exactly why I'm so angry for letting that slip!"

Harry laughed. "I'll make sure to mention it, Professor."

McGonagall only laughed at him as he left the room.

The investigating for the teachers seemed to start almost right away but the first class that Harry had while Umbridge was there was Divination with Professor Trelawney. Harry never liked Trelawney and he knew that she was an old fraud but he felt kind of bad for her the way that Umbridge was demanding her to see things and asking her questions about her past and everything. He was a little grateful at the same time though because they were interpreting dreams and Harry wasn't sure if he wanted to interpret his as he was still dreaming nightly of the long corridor with a locked door at the end.

McGonagall's class was next to have an inspection and Harry was hardly disappointed. McGonagall walked in and completely ignored her and just began to teach. This highly annoyed Umbridge and she kept making that annoying little cough of 'hem hem' until McGonagall turned around and basically told her that if she wanted an idea on how she taught a class then she should stop interrupting. Harry had to bite his tongue to stop himself from busting out laughing. Umbridge had then begun to scribble on the clip-board that she had brought with her without another word.

Care of Magical Creatures was next and Umbridge had only been asking Grubbly-Plank constant questions about where Hagrid was.

Professor O'Bryan's class was another interesting one. She basically took the same tune as McGonagall. If Umbridge wanted to know about how well she taught the course then she had to stop interrupting. But O'Bryan had taken it one step further and called her a snotty-faced toad. The class had erupted into laughter before they could stop themselves. Umbridge had scribbled quickly in her clip-board once more.

At the end of Ancient Runes, O'Bryan asked Harry to stay back for a moment. Once the class had emptied he made his way over to her desk.

"What can I do for you, Professor?"

She smiled warmly at him. "I was actually hoping that you could do me a favour."

Harry glanced at her quizzically. "Um, maybe, what is it?"

She sighed. "Your godfather has sent me a dozen red roses every single day since that incident in Umbitch's office that I would rather forget. And at night he sends me one single white rose! I thought if maybe I just ignored it that he would go away. But it's been a week! And he's obviously not getting the hint. I sent him an owl saying that I'm not interested and that same evening I still got a white rose. Help me." She replied, almost desperately.

Harry laughed. "No offence, Professor, but I can't do anything about that. Da says that once Uncle Sirius sets his sights on something he doesn't give up. I think that you're on your own for this one."

O'Bryan sighed. "I don't have time for a romance of any sort. But he just won't take no for an answer!"

Harry grinned. "So say yes. Go out with him and if you don't like him then at least you have an excuse for saying no."

She nodded. "I do think that that might remain my only option left. Thanks anyway, Harry, you can go."

He nodded. "Good luck, Professor because when you're going up against Uncle Sirius, you're going to need it."

She smirked at him as he headed towards the door. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

Harry left the office and grinned in surprise to find Ginny waiting there for him. He glanced around the empty hallway and yanked her close just as she started to say hello.

"Hel - mmmph." She moaned as his lips covered hers in a long, soft kiss.

He pulled back and grinned. "Hi."

She grinned up at him, her cheeks a little flushed. "Great way to say hello."

He dropped his forehead down to hers. "I know. We should do that all the time."

"Good plan."

"So what brings you over here?"

Ginny took his hand in hers as they began to walk together. "Well, I ran into Ron and Hermione when they headed to the Great Hall and they mentioned that you were up here so I thought I'd come see you. You don't mind do you?"

He grinned down at her and kissed her softly again. "Not in the least."

"So what did Professor O'Bryan want?"

Harry grinned. "Do you remember how I told you that in Umbridge's office after O'Bryan had stunned Umbridge, Uncle Sirius kissed her?"

Ginny nodded. "Yeah. It was rather impulsive don't you think?"

"Oh I certainly think so, but not to Uncle Sirius. Apparently he's been sending her a dozen red roses every morning since and a single white rose every night before she goes to sleep. She says that she's owled him telling him that she's not interested but he won't give up. She wanted to see if I could do anything to make him stop. I basically told her that it was a hopeless cause." Harry explained.

Ginny grinned. "He's sending roses every day? How romantic! He must really like her!"

Harry shrugged. "I guess so. I don't see how I mean he doesn't even know her."

"He knows his own mind, Harry. Besides I think its sweet, O'Bryan and Sirius - interesting pairing really but then I suppose it's not much different from Lupin and Tonks."

Harry nodded. "I don't actually think Uncle Remus and Tonks are together though. I mean, they're obviously attracted to one another but I don't think that they've done anything about it yet."

"They're slow." Ginny replied as she followed Harry up to his dormitory so that he could toss his bag on his bed. "Speaking of ... how come you've never send me a dozen roses?"

Harry glanced down at her in surprise. "I ... I don't know. Would you like a dozen roses?"

She grinned and stood on her toes to kiss him softly. "I'm just kidding, Harry. Besides, I like yellow roses and yellow daffodils and red lilies and lavender blue dahlias." She kissed him again. "Let's go eat some dinner."

Harry nodded at her as he followed her out of the dorm but his mind was on what she had just said. He hadn't ever given her flowers, not once. They'd been dating now for almost six weeks but he had never even thought to do something sweet like that. And wasn't that the number one thing that the Marauders had told him during his talk - girls like flowers. He sighed, well; he'd just have to make it up to her, that's all.

They took a seat in the Great Hall next to Ron and Hermione, since they had eaten lunch with Colin and Demelza. (They had a system going, share one meal with Ginny's friends and one meal with Harry's friends - well mutual friends really but you get the picture). Hermione leaned over to Harry.

"Harry, Ron and I were talking earlier and we need to talk to you about something."

Harry nodded at her. "Sure, right after dinner, alright?"

She nodded. "Alright."

They ate quickly after that and then the four of them hurried upstairs and into the common room. They found a cozy corner near the fire where they would have a little bit of privacy. Ginny snuggled herself comfortably on Harry's lap so that he could wrap his arms around her.

"So what's up, guys?"

"Well," Hermione began. "Ron and I had this idea -"

"No, Hermione had this idea and told Ron." Ron insisted.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Okay fine, I had this idea ... well; Umbridge is the worst Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher that we've ever had. She's not teaching us anything and she expects us to know how to defend ourselves by simply learning the theory of the spell. She's not even teaching just making us read the next chapter of our textbook during every class. It's a waste of both our time and our energy! And it's the last thing we need especially in our O.W.L. year. So I was thinking that maybe we could form our own Defence Against the Dark Arts group to learn new things from a proper teacher."

Harry nodded. "That makes sense. That's actually a pretty good idea too. But who could we possibly get to teach us? I mean, Uncle Sirius, Uncle Remus, and Da or Tonks would probably be the best choice but we could only really get to see them at Hogsmeade weekends. I can get away to see them on Sundays because it's just me, but all of us ... it would never work."

Hermione nodded. "I know and I've thought about that. But you see, I was thinking what if we have a teacher here at school that could help us? Someone who's been through a lot and someone who knows more then most of the students here? Someone who wouldn't look as suspicious as an adult? Someone like you."

Ginny's mouth dropped open. "Hermione, that's brilliant!"

Harry glanced at his friends and girlfriend in surprise. "Me? You want me to teach you Defence Against the Dark Arts? Why? What do I know that everyone else doesn't? You've got better grades then me?"

Hermione shook her head. "No Harry, I actually don't. When it comes to DADA, every year that we've had a proper teacher you've done much better then me. You've actually had the highest marks in Defence in our year. And you've been through so much, I mean, you've faced You-Know-Who and you've been through that Tri-Wizard Tournament and you've -"

Harry wanted to stand up but with Ginny on his lap he could only glare. "Listen, that was all luck! And it's not my fault that I've done more then anyone else! It's because Voldemort wants to kill me! And now that he's back he's not going to give up until he succeeds! Don't you understand? Do you have any idea what it's like to face him? It's life or death!"

Hermione nodded. "Exactly Harry. We don't know what it's like to face ... to face ... V-V-Voldemort. That's why we want you to teach us."

Harry looked over at his friend in surprise. It was the first time that she had used Voldemort's name. This had an effect on Harry, enough to calm him down and enough for Ron to decide that it was time to speak.

"Just think about it, Harry. Now that You-Know-Who is back we need to learn how to defend ourselves way more then just passing our O.W.L.s and with Umbitch in charge that's never going to happen. We need you."

Harry sighed. "Just the three of you then?"

Hermione bit her lip nervously and cast a sideways glance at Ron. "Well, actually we were kind of thinking it could be for anyone who's interested in learning."

"What do you mean anyone?"

"I mean like students at school. Anyone who is interested in learning real defence we'll meet them in Hogsmeade and discuss a possibility. What do you think?"

Harry sighed. "I don't know. The world thinks I'm a lunatic, remember? No one is going to want to learn anything from me."

Hermione shook her head. "I think that you're wrong. But even so, it wouldn't hurt to extend the invitation out, would it?"

"I guess not."

"So will you do it?" Ron asked.

"I'll think about it. Hogsmeade isn't until Halloween anyway."

Hermione grinned. "Thanks Harry!" She pulled Ron away and they went to go grab some books and things so that Harry could think about it as Harry turned to Ginny.

"What do you think about this?"

Ginny smiled warmly at him and gently ran her fingers through his hair. "I think that it's a brilliant idea! You are the best in DADA and with Umbitch around, no one is learning anything. I think that this is a good opportunity for all of us. We'll have to keep it hidden, of course, which will only add to the adventure. Though I think that you could probably tell the Marauders; they'll probably have some ideas to help you out."

Harry tightened his grip around her waist and leaned in to nuzzle her neck. "I don't know if I could be a teacher."

She grinned. "I think you'd be brilliant! Just think about it, Harry. You don't have to decide anything today."

He nodded. "I know." He was quiet for a few minutes before he spoke up again. "Do you remember when Umbitch first got here and we were talking about how Madam Bones had never really said that she believed us?"

Ginny nodded as Harry lifted his head to look into her eyes. "Yes. What about it?"

"Well, I just remembered a while ago that she did say she believed me. She told Dumbledore to his face that if he believed that I was telling the truth then so did she. So why is Umbitch here? Why is the Ministry still making me look out to be a lying lunatic?"

Ginny sighed and kissed his cheek. "I think it's because they're afraid to make themselves look wrong. There's a good possibility as well that Madam Bones has been lying. Maybe she really isn't the right minister in charge at the moment."

He nodded. "Yeah I guess." He leaned down to capture her lips with his in a long, soft kiss.

She moaned and began to drag her fingers through his hair. They broke apart when they heard Hermione call their names. She was blushing when they turned to look at her.

"Um, sorry to interrupt, but these owls just came for you, Ginny."

Ginny took the letters from the owls' leg and ripped it open, grinning. "It's from Bill and there's another one from Charlie." She quickly read them over and then handed them to Harry to read. "What do you think?"

He opened the one from Bill first and began to read:

Dear Firefly,