Chapter LXXV - Working the Magics

Ginny was nervous when she woke up the next morning and the feeling didn't seem to want to go away. Even as she stepped out of the steaming shower that she had been in so long that she marveled at the fact that she hadn't drowned, she was nervous. She knew that she shouldn't be as she was more then confident in her abilities, but it was the enormity of what she was planning to do. She hadn't had time to think about it when she healed Lily, but this ... she had time to plan and to think about it. She took a deep breath before she continued in her morning routine trying to concentrate on something other then what she would be doing. She had just finished drying and styling her hair when there was a knock on her bedroom door.

She walked over to open it and smiled warmly at Harry. "Hey."

He grinned and stepped inside the room, leaning over to kiss her softly. "Hey. How are you doing?"

She shrugged and then she sighed and allowed herself to be folded comfortably in Harry's arms. "I don't know."

He kissed the top of her head as he held her. "You don't have to do this, you know. No one is making you."

She shook her head, her face buried in his chest. "Of course I have to! Harry, I have this ability, this wonderful ability to bring Neville's parents back to him. How can I not do it?"

"You've thought of this before, haven't you?"

She nodded. "Yeah, after the holidays I seriously started considering it and I was going to ask you about it, see if you would come with me. I planned to try it in the summer."

He looked down at her in surprise. "You're heart is so big, Gin, I know that you can do this."

"Thanks, it's nice to know that you believe in me."

He grinned and tilted her chin up so that he could kiss her softly. "I need to talk to you about something."

She nodded, pulling him over to her bed to sit down. "Alright, what's going on?"

He sighed. "It's nothing really big or anything, but I've been thinking about Sirius and you and things that he's been saying ... I know that you're keeping something from me, Gin, something that has to do with your thigh? What's going on?"

She blushed. "Sirius is just being ... oh, I'm so paying him back for putting these wacky ideas in your head!"

He laughed. "Ginny, you know that there is something more here then some wacky ideas." He slid his hand down her hip gently and onto her thigh. "What's the secret?"

Her breath caught in her throat and her heart pounded as she thought about his reaction. She tried to ignore the soft rubbing of his fingers on her thigh and damn him for finding just the right side and spot. "Well, I ... hmm, I had the perfect way to tell you about it and you're ruining my surprise."

He grinned and leaned down to nuzzle her neck. "Spill it, babe, and tell me what horntails have to do with it?"

She laughed and debated. Should she just blurt it out? But she really wanted him to find it. She sighed; he wasn't going to let up. "Well, Harry, you see, it's-"

"Hey Ginevra, are you ready to go?" Emma asked as she stepped into the room.

Ginny hopped off the bed and nodded, thankful for the excuse. "Yes."

Emma nodded. "Come on. Li and I want you to do some serious meditation before you go in there. It might take a few hours."

Ginny nodded and leaned down to kiss Harry goodbye as he grabbed her wrist. "I'll find out sooner or later, you know."

She grinned. "Later is better. I'll see you, Harry."

He watched her go and he sighed. Just what did Sirius know about her thigh?

**********

Neville sat at the table in the Great Hall eating breakfast. He wondered again what Dumbledore had wanted Harry and Ginny for the night before as he knew that neither one of them had returned to school yet. He hoped nothing bad had happened. Ron and Hermione didn't know anything either.

He sighed and glanced around the hall, his eyes falling on the dirty blonde head of Luna Lovegood. It was hardly the first time that his gaze had drifted that way. She was really pretty and she was funny even if she was a bit of whacko, Loony Luna and all that jazz. But he liked her, a lot. Especially since she had really proven herself last June in the Department of Mysteries; Luna had surprised all of them really. He hadn't expected her to go but she was there and she had fought brilliantly. He'd thought about asking her out a few times but her last boyfriend had been MacDougall and he really didn't think he could compete with that. They had broken up before Christmas, shocking most of the school who hadn't even known they were dating. He scowled slightly at the dark haired boy sitting at the Ravenclaw table before turning to his hash browns.

"Are you alright, Neville?" Hermione asked, glancing over at him in concern.

Neville nodded and tried not to scowl at Morag anymore. "I'm fine. Just thinking about stuff is all."

Hermione nodded. "I see. You know, Neville, I don't think Luna would mind so much if you asked her to Hogsmeade for Valentine's Day."

Neville snorted, blushing and not even bothering to try to figure out how Hermione knew what was on his mind. She always knew. "I'm not her type. She may be bloody crazy but Morag went out with her."

"You're too hard on yourself, Neville. You're very handsome and very smart."

Ron leaned over towards them. "I wouldn't argue with her, mate, you'll never win."

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed.

Ron shrugged. "Just telling the bloke the truth."

Hermione huffed in exasperation. "Fine. But I'm telling you, Neville, it won't hurt to try, you know. What's the worse that can happen? She'll say no."

Neville nodded. "Alright, I'll think about it, okay?"

Hermione smiled. "Good."

He finished up his breakfast and was just getting ready to leave when he looked up in surprise. Dumbledore was standing in front of him. His hands shook a little beneath the table but he managed to stop them by locking his hands together.

"Good morning, Mr. Longbottom, may I have a word with you in my office?" Dumbledore asked.

Neville nodded. "Yes, sir."

He got up to follow Dumbledore and he smiled. "No, you can finish your meal first, let's say twenty minutes?" When Neville nodded, Dumbledore smiled. "The password is 'Three Musketeers'."

He walked away, leaving Neville staring after him in surprise. He drank the rest of his juice before he turned to Ron and Hermione. "What do you suppose that's about?"

Ron shrugged. "I don't know."

Neville nodded and said goodbye before he headed up to the dormitory to grab his books. On his way back down he rammed directly into Luna, knocking her over and sending his books flying.

"Ouch!" Luna exclaimed as she fell back onto her bum.

"Oh, Luna, I'm sorry! I wasn't paying attention."

Luna smiled. "It's alright, but you better be more careful. If you don't watch where you're going you might get eaten by a shackle bug."

Neville nodded. "Right." He stood up and then reached down to help her up. She took his hand and stood up in front of him. He gulped slightly. "Well, I have to head to Dumbledore's office, but I'll um, I'll see you later."

Luna sighed. "Are you ever going to ask me out?"

"W-w-what?" Neville spluttered.

"You've liked me for ages. I know I'm not imagining things. I thought after the Department of Mysteries adventure you would but nothing came of that so then I came back to school and I was dating Morag and still you never said anything. I catch you staring every now and again and Ginny and Dee tell me that you definitely fancy me, so why won't you ask me out?" Luna asked, all in a very matter-of-fact no-nonsense voice.

Neville gulped. "Well, I, I mean, I ... um ..." He could feel his face heating up in embarrassment.

Luna sighed. "Alright, we'll do it my way." She stood on her toes and brought her lips gently to his. "Will you go to Hogsmeade with me on Valentine's Day?"

Neville nodded meekly.

Luna grinned. "Good. See you later, Neville." She waved goodbye and headed back down the hall.

Neville stared after her in shock. He wasn't even sure exactly what had happened. Then he grinned, he had a date with Loony Luna Lovegood for Valentine's Day. Nothing made him happier. He practically skipped up to Dumbledore's office. He knocked on the door softly and when he heard come in, he pushed thought of Luna back and wondered just what Dumbledore wanted.

"Come in, Mr. Longbottom and take a seat. We're just waiting for another party to arrive."

Neville nodded and sat down, trying not to twiddle his thumbs. A burst of flame came in the fireplace and Harry stepped out. "Harry!" Neville replied in surprise.

Harry gave him a small smile. "Hey Nev, how's it going?"

Neville grinned. "Great! I'm going to Hogsmeade with Luna." He blushed then, realizing what he had just said in front of Dumbledore.

Dumbledore chuckled. "Ah, young romance. Come in and sit down, Harry."

Harry nodded and took a seat next to Neville, mouthing congratulations before turning to Dumbledore. "Sir."

Dumbledore sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Where do I begin? Neville, I need to ask you some questions, some very personal questions."

"O-okay," Neville replied nervously, glancing from Harry to Dumbledore.

"If you would rather that Harry not be here, I can ask for him to come back." Dumbledore replied.

Neville shook his head. "No, it's fine. I want Harry to be here."

Dumbledore nodded. "Alright, Neville what do you remember about what happened with your parents?"

Neville looked slightly taken aback for a moment. "Well, I, I don't really remember anything. I have some nightmares sometimes but I don't know if it's real or not."

"What do you dream?"

Neville shrugged. "Bellatrix Lestrange, her husband, and a man that I don't know come into the room. They demand of my father how he found it and when he refuses to answer they turn their wands on him. My mum screams and then they start demanding things about Voldemort. Like, how did Harry kill him? I don't remember much after that just torturing and I always wake up right after the Cruciatus is turned on me. I don't know if it actually happened. The dream has gotten more detailed as I've gotten older."

Dumbledore nodded. "Immensely. Neville, you visit you're parents often, don't you?"

He nodded. "Yes, during every holiday and on their birthdays and when I'm not in school my grandmother and I go once a week."

"What do the healers say about their condition?"

Neville's eyes had hardened now. "They say that their minds are vegetables and that there is no possible way for them to be healed."

"What if I told you that there is a way for them to be healed?"

Neville paled now, his hands gripping the sides of the chair so tightly that his knuckles turned white. "What do you mean?"

Harry spoke now, turning to face his friend. "He means, what if you could have them back the way that I got my mum back?"

"I-I don't understand."

Harry sighed. "Nev, Ginny brought my mum back remember? She was incredible and she has this healing ability that no one has had in centuries. She's positive that she bring your parents back to normal, bring them back to you."

Tears filled up in Neville's eyes. "Truly, she can do it?"

Harry nodded. "There's a chance that it might not work but the worst that could happen is that they stay the way they are now. But she says that she can do it and I believe her. She wouldn't say it so fiercely if she didn't think that she could."

Neville turned to look at Dumbledore now. "Why?"

Dumbledore sighed. "There's a mission, Neville, one that I started many years ago and now need help with. Death Eaters have captured my brother and if Voldemort manages to break through his mind, he will know what we're doing. I believe that Frank has information that can help us."

Harry shook his head. "Neville, I talked to Gin, she's been trying to build up the courage to tell me that she wanted to give your parents back to you. She planned to talk to you and to try it in the summer. Dumbledore just gave us the opportunity to try it now."

"Ginny has a big heart."

"I know." Harry replied. "So what do you say, Nev?"

He shrugged. "I don't know what to say. How can she do it?"

"I don't know. But from what my da told me, it's pretty intense and it takes a lot out of her. I'm going to be there for her but by the sounds of what Da told me, I'm going to need someone to hold me back. It hurts her." Harry explained.

"And you want me ...?"

Harry nodded. "I do."

Neville nodded. "When?"

"Pretty much now," Harry replied.

Neville gulped. "Alright."

Dumbledore nodded. "You deserve to have your parents, Neville. Ginny has only recently learned about her powers and she is without a doubt the only person who can heal them. They are in good hands."

Neville nodded meekly. "What about my grandmother?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "I'll speak to Augusta, but right now, she doesn't know what's going on."

"Alright. So when do we leave?"

Dumbledore stood up. "You can go now."

"Are you coming, sir?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "No, I have no business there. I'll go later on."

Neville nodded. "I don't even know ... this is all so unbelievable."

Harry nodded. "I know, I still have trouble believing sometimes that I have my mum back. Let's go, Nev."

Dumbledore handed them a portkey and they both grabbed a hold of it before they landed squarely in the rooms of Frank and Alice Longbottom. Neville gulped a bit and Harry placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I can't imagine what this is like. I mean, I didn't witness what happened with my mum." Harry explained.

Neville nodded. "Will it hurt them?"

Harry shook his head. "No, they'll be fine."

Neville's eyes turned sharply to Harry's. "But it will hurt Ginny?"

Harry nodded. "I think so, yeah, which is why my da said that if I was to be here I would need someone. He seems to think that I'm going to flip out or something."

Neville grinned. "I'll work on holding you back if it comes to that."

"Thanks." He looked up when the door opened and Emma, Ginny, and Li stepped into the room. "Hey."

Ginny walked over to them and kissed Neville's cheek. "I'm pretty sure I can do it, Neville."

He smiled at her. "Even if you can't, it means a lot to me that you'd try."

Ginny nodded and then turned to wrap her arms around Harry. He held her close for a minute and then he kissed her softly. "For luck."

She smiled. "Thanks."

Alice Longbottom stepped out from behind the curtain. "Hello dears, I didn't realize that we had visitors today. I'm afraid that Frank is sleeping." She explained. Her dark honey blonde hair was pulled away from her round pale face, so much like Neville's and her blue eyes were smiling, even if they weren't quite focused.

Ginny smiled at her. "Hi, Mrs. Longbottom, why don't you sit down here and talk with us for a while?"

Alice nodded and took a seat as Neville and Harry started rambling until the nurse came in. Harry recognized Tonks immediately, even though she was well disguised as the nurse. Her hair was dark brown and pulled back in a bun on her head. Her nose was longer and her eyes were green but she still looked like Tonks in the cocky sway of her hips and the grin.

She winked at him before she turned to Alice. "Come on Alice, we're going to go outside for a while in the court yard and get some fresh air."

Alice looked at her in confusion. "But I just got company."

Neville reached over to squeeze her hand and she dropped a bubble gum wrapper in it. He blushed but tucked it in his pocket. "It's okay, Mum. We'll wait for you to come back."

This seemed to satisfy Alice and she let Tonks lead her out of the room. Emma turned to Ginny then. "Come on, Ginevra, let's go."

Ginny nodded and they all headed back to where Frank was. He was sleeping soundly on the bed and Ginny was thankful as she figured that it would make things a lot easier all around. She carefully sat on the side of the bed, unsure about what to do. She had spent the entire morning meditating with Emma and Li, working to focus her magic and her energy together and to keep it strong. She closed her eyes for a moment to take a deep breath. From the corner of her eye she could see Harry and Neville leaning back against the bedroom door watching her. Emma and Li clasped hands tightly and the energy sparkled.

"Ginevra, you know what to do," Emma replied.

Li nodded. "I didn't see you before but I know that you know what you're doing. Are you ready, Ginny?"

She nodded. "I-I think so." She reached out to pick up Frank's hand in hers and Emma grabbed her other hand. The power of the connection zipped through her and just like it had with Lily, the extent of the damage zapped through her and she stiffened, her eyes darkening in a swirl of mist as she flew into his mind, to the memory of how he had become how he was now.

"Al, there's nothing we could have done and you know that! You've got to stop blaming yourself." Frank exclaimed, throwing his arms up in the air in frustration.