Chapter XVIII - The First Task

Across the school, the news of Sirius Black being proclaimed innocent and of Fudge leaving the office spread like wild fire. Everyone was impressed that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all been at the trial. The three of them were constantly being bombarded by questions about what had actually happened and why Sirius had been wrongfully imprisoned. After the third or fourth time that he explained it, Harry was getting tired of it. Ron still wasn't speaking to him and if that wasn't bad enough, other then Gryffindor the entire school was still against him.

Malfoy had come into Potions class only that morning with a badge that read: Support Cedric Diggory: The Real Hogwarts Champion and when they pressed it the words changed into Potter Sucks. This had hardly boosted Harry's spirits. Then Malfoy had called Hermione a mudblood. In fact, it had been the last straw for what he was finding out to be a very stressful week. It had led to a duel between Harry and Malfoy. However, the duel had not gone as well as one would have hoped. Harry had used the Furnunculus Charm but it had hit Goyle instead causing huge boils to spring up all over his face. Malfoy had used the Densaugeo Charm which hit Hermione and it had caused her front teeth, which were already slightly large due to an overbite, to grow alarmingly and hang over her chin. Harry's anger only increased when Snape arrived and told Hermione that he didn't notice a difference to her appearance and she had run off to the hospital wing in tears. He and Ron had both received detentions for their protest at this.

Harry's anger was not decreasing as the class went on and when Colin came in to collect Harry for photos he could only groan. He followed Colin down to the classroom where the other champions would be waiting as he remembered the lovely second year he had had and how Lockhart had lectured him on photos. Fleur, Cedric, and Viktor were already waiting. To Harry's disgust, the interviewer was one Rita Skeeter.

James hated Rita Skeeter and Harry knew that it was for a reason. She never told the truth in anything that she ever wrote in the Daily Prophet. Harry remembered how she had written about people being killed at the World Cup and how Mrs. Weasley had completely freaked out. James had once told him that Skeeter had even flirted outrageously with him and wanted to marry him. Harry had been thankful beyond all reason that that had never happened but Uncle Remus had told him that she only wanted money anyway. She was what the goblins titled a 'gold digger'.

Ludo Bagman was there and after explaining that this was going to be the weighing of the wands, which was to basically make sure that the wands were in good working order, there would be a photo shoot and a few questions asked. Rita wanted a moment alone with Harry. Before he could protest he found himself alone in a broom cupboard with her. He grinded his teeth in disgust as she began to ask him questions and when he barely answered, words scribbled onto the parchment below and he rolled his eyes, wondering what kind of lies would be printed about him now.

Once Dumbledore had rescued him from the cupboard the wands were weighed by Mr. Ollivander and then a few photos were taken before he had a chance to escape. He made his way down to dinner with a scowl on his face. He saw Hannah and smiled at her.

"Hey."

She smiled warmly at him. "Hey Harry, how are you doing?"

He shrugged. "Alright, a little frustrated, you?"

She grinned. "Busy. Listen, I've seen those badges that the Slytherins started wearing and I've told people in Hufflepuff not to wear them but –"

Harry put up his hand to stop her. "Don't worry about it, I'm used to it. I'll see you later."

He hurried away from her and into the Great Hall. He was surprised to see Hedwig sitting on Ginny's shoulder. He took a seat next to Ginny and Hedwig nipped affectionately at him.