Chapter 45: Minimum

A common tactic used for large-scale combat is to always let the heavy hitters attack with their strongest primary abilities which were known as the 'First Barrage', then follow up the 'Second Barrage' with a raid of secondary ability specialists so that the heavy hitters can restock in Xorlaz.

My fingers felt numb from the number of times I tried practicing my 'Blixt', but I still wanted to contribute to the First Barrage. As the Colorless revealed themselves behind the forcefield and began charging towards us, we awaited our leader's command. Emily and Zack stood behind me with their knees bent in preparation for a runout.

The silhouettes were all distanced from one another but they all seemed intimidating while advancing. There were at least 2 on every rooftop or hanging on the walls and there are about 30-45 different types of apartment buildings in that area.

I'll let you do the math.

"So you're the Jailbreaker kid, huh?" He remarked in his raspy voice.

I turned to my right to see an older-looking CoDa with a slicked-back hairstyle, he had a muscular physique and a masculine posture, his arms crossed while glaring at me. He continued, "Name's Darrell RainWave, Rank 67, Class K-Karkinos if you were wondering. I've been meaning to ask; people say that you're an anomaly, do you agree?"

"Darrell, Nathan's already stressed as he is, please don't make it any worse."

"Was I talking to you, Ms. PsyFlare?" He gave a sharp look at her as she returned the gesture, he continued, "Answer the question, Kid."

"I-I don't know, sir," I responded.

Darrell glared a little while longer then looked back towards the silhouettes, "heh, you're more genuine than I thought, most people would take pride in it and get cocky. Just because something is rare or an oddity does not always mean it's a good thing, I know from experience."

"Uh, Do you dislike me?"

Darrell chuckled a little, "Ah, no. Sorry if I sounded harsh." My shoulders relaxed while he chuckled, "I heard that your primary ability uses Storm Style combat, is that correct?" I nodded.

"Well, my primary ability is the manipulation of rainfall, what do you think about combining our attacks into one, hmm?" Darrell suggested with a grin.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Distant Storm Arc: Minimum
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"-As long as you can branch out the strike, then the rest can take care of itself. Got it?" Darrell explained.

"Understood."

Darrell took a deep breath before pulling out an item from his pocket. He closed his eyes while looking at the sky, feeling the rain shower upon his face. He remarked, "Hey kid, do you know what minimalism is?"

"Minimalism? I've heard about it. Isn't it some sort of art movement that expresses simplicity of art and music?" I guessed.

"Huh, close enough. Minimalism is not just art and music but lifestyle too. As Richard Holloway has once said, it's the simplicity, clarity, and singleness that gives our lives power and joy. Before I became a CoDa, I was a passionate minimalist; I still am but my interest has dimmed over the years." Darrell gently threw the item over to me as I caught it, upon catching I realized that they were headphones. "Nowadays, minimalism is a difficult thing to appreciate, our world has become complex and our need to give meaning to our everyday devices can often time forsake our own health and relationships. Sometimes, you just need to clear your mind and love the simple things in life."