The Original Two

"Boo."

    Debbie gave a quick screech before whirling around. "Damn it Lou!! I knew I should have taken the car."

    Lou grinned as her blonde hair flew about her face in the late autumn wind. "Missed me?"

    Debbie rolled her eyes. "Just one so that you'll stop whining." She said, and leaned forward and gave Lou a kiss on the mouth.

    "Oh, Debbie." Lou said, pushing back her hair. "You're always so dramatic. I wasn't even whining."

    "You were." Debbie smirked. "Anyway, where are you going? We're headed down the same subway."

    "Come on, Deb, acknowledge this reunion for a second. We haven't seen each other in forever."

    "Excepting the millions of Facetiming, calling, and texting every single day?"

    "Yeah."

    Debbie sighed and pushed past Lou to get down the subway stairs, but Lou grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back. 

    "It's been a month since we got that loot from the museum. Let's do something else. Something more fun." Lou begged.

    "We're all millionaires, so what's the point for now? Besides, I wanna lie low for a while. Just enjoy our success. And I don't even know where the rest of my eight went."

    "I got in touch with Rose only two days ago, Constance is in New York City again, she's touring now. You know what she's doing?"

    "No, what?"

    "YouTuber."

    "I see."

    "And Daphne's an actress, and Nine ball is--"

    "Okay, okay. What's your point here?"

    "Think about it, Deb. Look at the lives we're living now, look at the ones we used to live. What happened to our secret refuge? What happened to that hangout? Aren't you getting a little...I dunno, restless?"

    "Lou, with all due respect, I had five years to think up the last stunt. Give me some time."

    "But--but I'll help you this time. Please. I gotta do something."

    "You said, a month ago, that you were not my partner, nor would you--"

    "Okay, but now I'm interested even before you thought up something. I'll help you think of something. This life isn't working for me. I literally came here from California to find you and tell you this." Lou pulled Debbie aside so that they would stop blocking the people behind them.

    Debbie stared at Lou incredulously. "Seriously?"

    "Yeah, and...."

    "And what?"

    "I missed you. That, too. Now you gonna do something or live like an old granny for the rest of your life?"

    "You're really obnoxious." Debbie said, grabbing Lou and kissing her hard.