Drunk

Lou woke up with a splitting headache and something warm against her chest. 

    Not something. Someone.

    She swore softly to herself as she pulled herself out of bed...but it wasn't her bed, the one back at home in her spacious flat. 

    Her vision was blurry and she felt as though she was going to puke any moment, but she found that she was naked and the person curled in bed who had been just pressed to her was Debbie.

    "Oh, what the fuck?" She breathed. Why had she been sleeping with Debbie? Why was she naked? 

    Debbie was covered with their comforter, but Lou could see that she had no clothes on, either. Lou racked her memory for an explanation for this. She could remember Amita, Rose, Daphne, Nine Ball, Tammy, and Constance leaving with frightful enthusiasm at their new plan. She could remember Debbie bringing out some of the water-downed vodka Lou had used to sell before Debbie had gotten released from jail. 

    She remembered them both feeling drowsy after a while, and Debbie suggesting Lou stay overnight...she remembered being given an air mattress to sleep on....

    She looked over and saw the abandoned air mattress by the bed. She must have gone into bed with Debbie at one point, but didn't remember when or how Debbie had allowed it. 

    "Must've been drunk...." She ran her hands through her hair, and grabbed a bathrobe that was slung over the bedstead, and shuffled, dazed, to the bathroom. 

    There she puked and remembered the true meaning of "drunk" all over again. 

    When she was finished, she leaned against the bathroom door, debating wildly in her head how to break this to Debbie. She herself did not mind as much as she thought she would, but she knew Debbie would not be happy at all to hear that they might have had sex together. 

    She checked the time; seven-forty. She vaguely recalled them supposed to be leaving at ten for Washington, D.C. She had to wake up Debbie...she must be sleeping in because of the hangover. 

    But how?

    "Hey, Debbie?" Lou whispered.

    Debbie was motionless. She's out cold, Lou thought with a smirk. She bunched up Debbie's clothing and placed it next to the sleeping woman's head so that she could put it on in awakening. 

    "Mnrf." Debbie grumbled, curling her thin body even tighter in the covers. 

    "Uh...Wake up. I'll...Uh...Be...in the kitchen." Lou said, and hastily walked out of the room. 

    Eight-fifteen. Lou had a bottle of water in her hand, she was afraid to drink any more alcohol, for Debbie's sake, so she was leaning uneasily on the sink and sipping at the for once tasteless drink, when Debbie walked in looking like hell. 

    Her hair was disheveled, and her eyes were slightly red and bloodshot, but to Lou she still managed to look sexy as ever. 

    "G'morning." Lou said tentatively. 

    "Lou," Debbie said, her voice fuzzy. "Why the hell was I naked?"

    "Dunno," Lou said, turning away to hide her burning face. "Maybe you stripped down in your sleep."

    "Did you see anything?"

    "No," Lou lied, her voice trembling a little. I thought she loved me, but she's afraid to have sex?  For some reason, this hurt her more than she would expect it to.

    Debbie eyed Lou warily, then decided to let it go and clutched the elegant shawl closer to herself and took a glass of cherry juice. 

    "We should probably stop spending the nights together," Debbie said without looking at her. "Scary things can happen with just a drink."

    Lou felt a stab in her heart as she heard this, but she swallowed the tears and said, "fine."