The Mistake

"Debbie!" Tammy said breathlessly, running towards them out of the building. "I heard you screaming and I just remembered I have your pills..." She trailed off when she saw Lou. "Oh my God."

    "Hey." Lou said with a trembling smile, still holding onto Debbie, whose head was pressed against her chest.

    Tammy was speechless, and she could only gape. 

    "Tam-Tam," Debbie said happily, her eyes shining with tears of joy and other mixed emotions, "L-Look who's here."

    "Oh--Oh my God." Tammy said repeatedly. "Oh my God!"

    Lou beamed, all three women at a loss for words, and Debbie closed her eyes as Lou leaned down and gave her a warm kiss on the forehead.

    The police standing awkwardly around them were of no matter anymore, nor were the people from the cocktail party clustering around them with a thirst for something to gossip about, nor was Matt or the man Lou was with that night. No, nobody, nothing mattered anymore, all that mattered to Debbie and Lou was that they were in each other's arms, and they were not going to lose each other ever, ever again. 

    "Ma'am," One of the police men said finally to Debbie, "You are under arrest."

    Debbie did not turn around nor did she reply, but she kept her face buried in Lou's bosom. 

    Lou replied for her with the fierce fire that was so familiar. "Over my dead body. If you arrest her, you'll have to go through me first."

    "Ma'am, with all due respect, this woman was harassing you a couple moments ago."

    "But did I say she was harassing me? No, some idiotic motherfucker called the police for no reason. Leave us the fuck alone! For once!"

    "Debbie--" Tammy said, reaching out for her. 

    Debbie and Lou turned away from Tammy's hand. It was like they were but one body now, they couldn't bear to let go of each other. 

    "Oh, so now who's ditching their girlfriend, huh?" Tammy demanded. 

    There were gasps in the crowd of onlookers.

    Lou's smile faded from her face and she pulled away from Debbie. "Girlfriend?"

    Oh my God.

    "No, Lou--" Debbie began, but Lou looked with widened eyes back and forth from Tammy to Debbie, and then the shock in her blue eyes shifted into understanding and anger.

    "Lou!" Debbie begged, and Lou shook her head and turned on her heels, walking swiftly away from them surprisingly fast, as she still walked with her crutch.

    "LOU!" Debbie screamed, and began to run after her, but Tammy grabbed her hand. 

    "Is it--is it real?" Tammy gasped.

    Debbie wrenched herself away, and before anyone, Tammy, Matt, the policemen, could catch her, she tore down the street in pursuit of Lou, determined not to lose her again. 

She found her at an apartment. It was a foreign one that she had never seen, and she figured this was where Lou had been staying. Lou opened the door and let herself in, but before she could slam the door in Debbie's face, Debbie grabbed it and forced it open. 

    Though Lou was strong, she was slightly disadvantaged what with her crutch, and Debbie won the small game of tug-of-war with the door and went inside, closed the door, and then turned to face Lou.

    It was so obvious Lou was trying not to cry. It was so obvious that she was breaking, and it broke Debbie's heart all over again. She wanted Lou to break, like she had in the train so long ago. She wanted her to weep and let her pain out, washed out of her heart with bitter tears. But Lou did not give up to the tears this time. She took a deep breath and composed herself before speaking.

    "When I was in the hospital," She said. "When I was in the hospital, they kept on tellin' me that I could let go. They thought that just 'cause I was amnesic, I couldn't remember any reason to live. But I did, just one thing--you. So I couldn't let go. There were so many times when I wanted to, God, it hurt so fucking much, but I didn't let go."

    Debbie, who always was the one to succumb to tears easily, shook her head in a silent plea. 

    "But I was stupid enough to think that you wouldn't either!" Lou burst out, and turned and fled up the stairs. 

    Debbie stood and she didn't run after her. She heard the slamming of a door, and she could not move.

    Holy fuck.

    She though it was what Lou would have wanted her to do.

    Now she had Lou back, and everything was fucked up.