"She can't be dead"

Lou was her friend for over twenty years.

    Her best friend.

    She refused to say a word when the police questioned her, and since she was not proven guilty, though a high suspect, they had no evidence against her or the other women, they let her go with the rest.

    It was Nine Ball who thought it was best for them to stay together, at least until Constance got out of the hospital and for Debbie's trauma and grief to cool down. So the six of them settled in the spacious hideout, and tried to support Debbie as best as they could...

    "Deb, you have to eat, at least." Rose pleaded, trying to push a plate of food in front of Debbie's gaunt face, pale with tears, but Debbie merely turned away and hugged herself tighter.

    Rose knew there was no convincing her in that position, so she sighed and left, leaving the food behind.

    Then one night, when they had all managed to finally get to sleep, Tammy was awoken by the sound of someone sobbing.

    Of course it was Debbie. She was crying at last.

    Tammy crept over to where Debbie lay in her bed, thin and pale as the moon, curled up and soaking the pillow with long-overdue tears. 

    "Debbie?" Tammy whispered, sitting on the bed next to her and rubbing her shoulder soothingly.

    "I'm sorry if I woke you up," Debbie gulped, trying in vain to stop her crying.

    "No, no, it's fine." Tammy said.

    "It's just--" Debbie took in a shaky breath, "the last thing I said to her--I was so mean--I didn't mean it and now I'll never tell her--"

    "I know, I know," Tammy said, feeling hot tears creep into her eyes as well.

    "She can't be dead!" Debbie burst out, sobbing harder and clutching at her sheet despairingly, pleadingly, anything, anything that could hold her, support her.

    Tammy could not speak, nor could she think of anything to say anyway, so she simply wrapped an arm around Debbie's scrawny shoulders and held her close.

    "She can't be dead." Debbie repeated, quietly.

    "We don't know yet if she is or not." Tammy said, in a desperate attempt to comfort her.

    "What the hell will I ever do without her, Tammy?!" Debbie wailed. "I love her!"

    Tammy began to try to soothe her some more, then stopped as the last sentence registered. "W-what?"

    "I love her Tammy I love her so much and now we'll never be able to date and it's all my fault." Debbie cried, detaching herself from Tammy and curling up alone. She couldn't express the hurt and self-loathing she felt stabbing at her heart. Now she would never again feel the warm and loving embrace of Lou's arms. She was alone. Lou had left her for real now, forever.

~

In the dead of night, a lone woman walked unsteadily down the street, trembling with heartbreak. With every step she took she felt guiltier still for leaving the rest, but she had to get as far away from everyone as possible, lest someone find out that there was a third lesbian in the group, and that woman had loved Debbie Ocean with all her heart for as long as she could remember, and now, with her loving Lou, she had caused the other woman's heart to crumble into ashes.

    Tears rolled down the broken Tammy's cheeks as she stepped out of the city.