The Train

Soon they were all in a first class train car, and chatting happily among themselves, except Lou. Debbie watched as Lou finally got up and stalked to the train call next to them, and disappear into it without a second glance behind her.

    Debbie sighed. Something was really up. She stood and followed her.

    "Lou?" 

    The blonde head didn't turn nor showed any intention to turn, and Debbie sighed and stepped into the empty car train, closing the door behind her.

    "Why are you mad at me?" 

    Lou didn't answer, but Debbie saw the slightest shift as she pressed herself even closer to the window.

    "Come on. You're my partner. I can't have you mad at me." Debbie said, then added, "and my best friend."

    Lou still made no reply.

    "Lou! We're in this heist together, you're the one who wanted it! The least you could do is talk to me!" Debbie said, her voice raising. For such a patient planner, in conversations, she was not patient at all. 

    Lou finally turned around, her blue eyes shining with tears. "The least you could do is show that you care about me!" She burst out.

    "What do you mean?!" Debbie demanded. 

    "We had sex last night, okay?" Lou yelled. "You can deny it, but that was the reason we both woke up naked. And you can act all horrified and hurt me some more, but I don't regret it. Because I love you. And I don't care if you hate me forever because we had sex, because I love you, I love you, you bitch!" 

    Debbie stood with her jaw slack with shock. 

    All the tears Lou had been holding in came exploding out of her now, and she sat back down, crumpling into the seat, and wept bitterly.

    "Lou..." Debbie said. Her heart was beating so hard, and she couldn't deny that a part of her was horrified. But she was also touched. She had no idea Lou had all these feelings for her...but then they had sex...

    She stood, frozen, while Lou sobbed, because she was angry at herself for letting her guard down like that after one single drink after carefully building the wall that blocked out any romantic influence ever since what Claude did to her. 

    But Lou was different. Debbie had let herself have sex with Lou, but more than a half of her was not sorry she did.

    "Lou..." Debbie repeated. She walked forward and lowered herself down next to her friend. "It's okay."

    Lou could not speak, her breaths were coming out in ragged gasps and the tears would not stop, and Debbie wrapped her arms around her best friend's lithe frame and held her tight. 

    "It's okay, Lou. It's okay." Debbie said, over and over again. 

    "Debbie--" Lou gulped.

    "It's okay. I'm not mad. I wish you knew why I hurt you, but it's not an excuse, so I'm sorry." Debbie whispered. "I love you so much, but, like...." She trailed off. "...Past experiences. It's not your fault. It's not your fault."

    Lou looked up, and her shining blue eyes broke Debbie's heart all over again. "you don't hate me?" She asked.

    "Oh God Lou, no. I love you more than anyone else." Debbie said, and this time, she knew she meant it.